Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #31
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
Mean Streak at Cedar Point

Seems like everyone's worst coasters has a theme -- wooden coasters are so much rougher than steel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsamom View Post
Agree w/ soccerdad72-- Mean Streak @ Cedar Point. Instant migraine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrivas View Post
I agree about Mean Streak -- I was so sick after that ride...I didn't go on another ride for the next 2 days at Cedar Point.

I also felt sick after Expedition Everest....I think if my head/neck gets too jerked around, I get very nauseous.
If that's the name of the giant wooden coaster at the backside of Cedar Point, well then count me in. I even stopped my kids from going on it (we rode it first). It's that bad. Seriously should be torn down.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #32
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

A lot of those giant wooden coasters (Mean Streak, Hercules, Ghost Rider, etc.) were pretty good rides during their first few years. But they didn't age well, which is a vast understatement. Son of Beast was bad from the start.

Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg was a failure since Day One. I think the original designer/manufacturer went out of business part way through construction and it was finished by someone else who changed some of the original design for the worse.

The worst coaster I've ridden was Viper at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. It was a smaller steel coaster with a "heartline" roll and it was really rough and bone jarring. It was located on the site where El Toro currently stands, and El Toro still uses Viper's loading station.

Unfortunately there are a lot of duds in the coaster world.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post
A lot of those giant wooden coasters (Mean Streak, Hercules, Ghost Rider, etc.) were pretty good rides during their first few years. But they didn't age well, which is a vast understatement. Son of Beast was bad from the start.
The only one on your list I have experience with is Mean Streak, but I will say in that one's case, it was a problem from Day One. The year it opened, it was too fast and was causing quite a few (relatively minor) injuries. They added some braking in certain areas, but it has always been rough as far as bouncing side to side. Actually, IMO, cutting down some of the speed took away the only decent thing the ride had to offer.

As far as Son of Beast goes, I do understand that it was a problem ride through it's entire life. I think they tried to push the boundries of what a wooden roller coaster could manage. It's a shame, because the original Beast is still one of the best coasters out there, wooden or otherwise.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #34
HOGFAN
DIS Veteran

Kings Dominions Anaconda....I was praying to God to just let me fall out of the thing....
2002 poly
2004 bwi
2005 coronado springs
2006 bwi
2007 bwi
2009 coronado springs
2009 offsite(airport)
2010 coronado springs
HOGFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #35
cassandrap83
Only 3hrs from the Magic :)

I love, love, love roller coasters!

That said, Gwazi & Busch Gardens in Tampa almost made me cry. It would the most jarring coaster I've even been on in my life. Not even down the first drop and I knew it was going to be a rough, horrible ride - NEVER AGAIN!!

Sidenote.... Cheetah Hunt is by far, the smoothest coaster I have ever been on!
cassandrap83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #36
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandrap83
I love, love, love roller coasters!

That said, Gwazi & Busch Gardens in Tampa almost made me cry. It would the most jarring coaster I've even been on in my life. Not even down the first drop and I knew it was going to be a rough, horrible ride - NEVER AGAIN!!

Sidenote.... Cheetah Hunt is by far, the smoothest coaster I have ever been on!
I don't like Gwazi either.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #37
jgh
Peter Pan!

Anything wooden! I hate those!

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #38
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

The Hurler and the Anaconda at Kings Dominion, they both beat you up really bad. Also the Matterhorn at DL gave me sciatic pain.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #39
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

About 10 years ago, I went on a wooden rollercoaster at Valley Faire in MN and it soured me on rollercoasters. I'd always liked them up until that time. I felt like I was a bean in a jar being shaken by giants. I ended up with bruises and pain in my back for many days after. I was surprised in part because so many people had told me it was a 'no big deal' rollercoaster and after I got off and complained of my back hurting, they all said, "Yeah, it does make you hurt..." How can you recommend a ride that causes pain? So I feel like I can't trust people when it comes to rides like that.

After that the only coasters I will do is Expedition Everest and Big Thunder. I know how they feel and I know I won't hurt afterwards.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #40
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

Add me onto the list for the Mean Streak. I love Cedar Point, and I generally enjoy wooden coasters...but not this one. I've ridden it twice in my life, once when I was young and once I think last year or maybe even this year. Never again. Instant nausea and migraine, shakiness, cold sweat. Just awful. Truly awful.

Magnum, also at CP, really isn't much better. And that one is steel. I was expecting a nice, fast ride but what I got was a beat-down. Won't be getting back on that one.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #41
momz
DIS Veteran

I have one that hasn't been mentioned. At Holiday World in Santa Clause, IN. The Voyage...horrible headache.

Holiday has 3 roller coasters, all wooden. The Raven has gotten awards year after year. The Legend was the next installment and is ok, but seems to have only right turns and you are constantly pushed to the left. Then, the Voyage is the big one...horrible, there is never a long line because I think I'm not alone in this opinion.

Now, the water park at Holiday World is fabulous.
momz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #42
Miniefan
DIS Veteran

The worst coaster I have ever ridden was at Six Flags over Georgia, it was a wooden coaster called the Georgia Cyclone. I felt like I had been beat up after I got off. Even my dh who is more of a coaster enthusiast than I am said that it was a pretty awful ride.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #43
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

[QUOTE=SpaceMtnFan;46787958]Hey there. Here's a question for ya. What was the worst Roller Coaster you ever rode on. For me it was the Son of Beast at Kings Island in Ohio. I blacked out twice on that ride, plus. The car was way too tight no leg room at all[/QUOTE]

OP, Even before I read your answer that was what I was going to say!

That was the worst roller coaster ever.

I should have worn a helmet on it!

TC
Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #44
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

I would go with Mean Streak or The Beast. Here is video from a couple days ago of Son of Beast being demolished.

http://twitpic.com/bewqrh
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #45
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Cedar Point - Mean Streak

Worse than Son of Beast in my opinion.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: