Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #61
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
If you are going to decline paying, you better have taken one bite and nothing more or sent the food back and notified a manager. There's nothing worse than someone who consumes most of meal and then decides to complain or ask for it to be removed. In most cases, the restaurant will re-do your meal and make it right and will likely comp something. There's never a need to be indignant.
I agree! Once on a solo trip, I met a bunch of fellow DISers down there. A big group of us had meals scheduled for every day. One DISer complained about every single meal. There was not a meal, where she didn't call the waiter over to complain about something and then either asked for her meal to be comped or for something else. What was bad is that she'd eat quite a bit of the meal, before she complained and asked for something. It was sooo embarrassing. The rest of the group, used to whisper among ourselves, "We wonder what she's going to find to complain about this meal?" I'm serious there was not one single meal, she didn't complain and try to get something out of it, but only after she ate what she wanted. She caused a scene at every single meal.

I really hated it, because I used to have a friend just like her. It got where no one would go out to eat with her, because she was always trying to get her meal comped, after she'd eaten most of it.

The worst meal I've ever got at WDW was actually at Le Cellier. It was simply not edible. Their filet with risotto is always salty, but it was so salty that one night, that I simply couldn't eat it. I took one bite of my steak and one bite of the risotto, before I pushed it away and sat there sipping on my water. The waitress finally saw me, but didn't even ask what was wrong, she just took the bowl away and said she'd bring my dessert. About 20 minutes later, she apparently remembered me and brought me a bowl of melted sorbet. I'm not kidding, it was completely melted. I took one look at it and said 'you've got to be kidding, please bring me some that's not melted, please'. Since I obviously had not eaten more than a single bite of the steak/risotto I was really surprised she had not taken it off my bill. I probably should have said something, but after being in there over an hour and knowing I still had to go somewhere else to eat, I just wanted to get out of there, so paid. I then went to the French bakery to eat, as I was hungry. lol Le Cellier was an expensive meal that night for just a bowl of sorbet, which was the only thing that was edible that night. lol I'm not a picky eater at all, but no way could I possibly have eaten the risotto that night. It tasted just like the chef had accidentally poured a whole box of salt in it, then sprinkled the steak with more so they'd be even.lol

Last edited by aubriee; 11-29-2012 at 04:32 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #62
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer1954
Guests need to let Disney know directly by not paying for bad stuff. If people pay for it, then it is good.
Walking out on a check because the food is bad tells Disney nothing. It would be assumed that the service was bad. Guests need to SAY something about the food to a manager or a chef or guest relations.
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #63
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee

I agree! Once on a solo trip, I met a bunch of fellow DISers down there. A big group of us had meals scheduled for every day. One DISer complained about every single meal. There was not a meal, where she didn't call the waiter over to complain about something and then either asked for her meal to be comped or for something else. What was bad is that she'd eat quite a bit of the meal, before she complained and asked for something. It was sooo embarrassing. The rest of the group, used to whisper among ourselves, "We wonder what she's going to find to complain about this meal?" I'm serious there was not one single meal, she didn't complain and try to get something out of it, but only after she ate what she wanted. She caused a scene at every single meal.

I really hated it, because I used to have a friend just like her. It got where no one would go out to eat with her, because she was always trying to get her meal comped, after she'd eaten most of it.

The worst meal I've ever got at WDW was actually at Le Cellier. It was simply not edible. Their filet with risotto is always salty, but it was so salty that one night, that I simply couldn't eat it. I took one bite of my steak and one bite of the risotto, before I pushed it away and sat there sipping on my water. The waitress finally saw me, but didn't even ask what was wrong, she just took the bowl away and said she'd bring my dessert. About 20 minutes later, she apparently remembered me and brought me a bowl of melted sorbet. I'm not kidding, it was completely melted. I took one look at it and said 'you've got to be kidding, please bring me some that's not melted, please'. Since I obviously had not eaten more than a single bite of the steak/risotto I was really surprised she had not taken it off my bill. I probably should have said something, but after being in there over an hour and knowing I still had to go somewhere else to eat, I just wanted to get out of there, so paid. I then went to the French bakery to eat, as I was hungry. lol Le Cellier was an expensive meal that night for just a bowl of sorbet, which was the only thing that was edible that night. lol I'm not a picky eater at all, but no way could I possibly have eaten the risotto that night. It tasted just like the chef had accidentally poured a whole box of salt in it, then sprinkled the steak with more so they'd be even.lol
I don't get this. Because she didn't ask, you didn't tell?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #64
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
Walking out on a check because the food is bad tells Disney nothing. It would be assumed that the service was bad. Guests need to SAY something about the food to a manager or a chef or guest relations.
Agreed. I don't understand the mindset of dont pay if its bad....SAY SOMETHING!

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #65
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post

So I get seriously angry when I'm looking forward to a good meal, sit down and the meal is medicore at best. IMO, forget the cost, nothing is worse in my life then leaving a restaurant and when some one ask me how was the food I say "meh, it was ok".......
I've been to WDW over 25 times at a minimum of 6 days every trip. I have eaten hundreds of meals at WDW.

I'm sure you can find a restaurant here and there I haven't been to, but, with the exception of V & A's we can just assume I've eaten *almost* everywhere.

I look at most of it as theme park food. I must admit, I stopped eating at ANY buffets years ago.

When I eat at WDW I am for the most part satisfied because I go into it expecting mediocre.

Just as an example I've eaten at Le Cellier twice. BOTH times my steak was so full of fat and gristle that I couldn't even cut around enough to get bite sized pieces to eat. If I order a $50 steak in a restaurant near where I live and I can't eat it, I'm going to pitch a fit. At WDW, I'm not going to be angry because I'm on vacation and I just don't want to deal with it. Though it would be nice if the waitress would at least ask why my entire steak is still on my plate and I'm finished eating.

It's a theme park, I paid $50 for a steak, and I'm not totally satisfied with it.
LOL, who is to blame here? God, I'd feel like an idiot complaining about theme park food, even if I did overpay for it.

I had a chicken breast at Narcoossee's in June of 2002 that I remember like it was yesterday. It cost $24 for a tiny breast and a half scoop of mashed potato. How good would that have to be, 10 years ago, to be worth $24.....How bad would it have to be for me to admit I'd been hoodwinked into buying something that would have cost $3 at Chik-Fil-A?

Paying close to $50 for 4 people to eat a hot dog lunch at Casey's?

I've spent hundreds on a meal at Yachtsmen Steakhouse while kids are screaming and running into me and throwing stuff all over the room.

I know that now everyone is going to say that eating at Disney is a bargain compared to restaurants they eat at where they live. Do you normally eat at restaurants 3 meals a day for 6-8 days at a time where you live? Can you not go to a home cooking style restaurant near you and have a lunch chicken breast meal for like less than $9.00, drink included?

I especially laugh when I hear WDW visitors say they are "foodies". LOL, I can't think of a single WDW restaurant that would stand up in quality OR price to competition from restaurants in my town. I can't think of a single WDW restaurant that would survive serving what they serve near me.

I KNOW a part of the charge is for atmosphere and theme. WDW has a very captive audience, though. They are spreading that "atmosphere" charge among a LOT of diners. I think they've overdone their "what the market will bear" strategy a little bit.

Mediocre? To me it's ALL mediocre.

Last edited by Bob NC; 11-29-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #66
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
I've been to WDW over 25 times at a minimum of 6 days every trip. I have eaten hundreds of meals at WDW.

I'm sure you can find a restaurant here and there I haven't been to, but, with the exception of V & A's we can just assume I've eaten *almost* everywhere.

I look at most of it as theme park food. I must admit, I stopped eating at ANY buffets years ago.

When I eat at WDW I am for the most part satisfied because I go into it expecting mediocre.

Just as an example I've eaten at Le Cellier twice. BOTH times my steak was so full of fat and gristle that I couldn't even cut around enough to get bite sized pieces to eat. If I order a $50 steak in a restaurant near where I live and I can't eat it, I'm going to pitch a fit. At WDW, I'm not going to be angry because I'm on vacation and I just don't want to deal with it. Though it would be nice if the waitress would at least ask why my entire steak is still on my plate and I'm finished eating.

It's a theme park, I paid $50 for a steak, and I'm not totally satisfied with it.
LOL, who is to blame here? God, I'd feel like an idiot complaining about theme park food, even if I did overpay for it.

I had a chicken breast at Narcoossee's in June of 2002 that I remember like it was yesterday. It cost $24 for a tiny breast and a half scoop of mashed potato. How good would that have to be, 10 years ago, to be worth $24.....How bad would it have to be for me to admit I'd been hoodwinked into buying something that would have cost $3 at Chik-Fil-A?

Paying close to $50 for 4 people to eat a hot dog lunch at Casey's?

I've spent hundreds on a meal at Yachtsmen Steakhouse while kids are screaming and running into me and throwing stuff all over the room.

I know that now everyone is going to say that eating at Disney is a bargain compared to restaurants they eat at where they live. Do you normally eat at restaurants 3 meals a day for 6-8 days at a time where you live? Can you not go to a home cooking style restaurant near you and have a lunch chicken breast meal for like less than $9.00, drink included?

I especially laugh when I hear WDW visitors say they are "foodies". LOL, I can't think of a single WDW restaurant that would stand up in quality OR price to competition from restaurants in my town. I can't think of a single WDW restaurant that would survive serving what they serve near me.

I KNOW a part of the charge is for atmosphere and theme. WDW has a very captive audience, though. They are spreading that "atmosphere" charge among a LOT of diners. I think they've overdone their "what the market will bear" strategy a little bit.

Mediocre? To me it's ALL mediocre.
Huh....this post makes a very good argument in favor of the DDP, lol
Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #67
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
It's things like this that surprise me. If there's something wrong with your meal and it's truly inedible, ask to speak to the manager. How can they fix it if you don't tell them about it? Sounds like this person had a mediocre waitress, so asking to speak to the manager would be the thing to do. By simply paying and walking out, it's not helping the situation. Give them a chance to fix it!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #68
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

This thread has been an interesting read!

Luckily, I suppose, I haven't had anything SO bad at disney I felt compelled to send it back (Knock on wood!) However, there have been times outside of disney we have had to do this. Most times, (esp working in retail, a different, but customer oriented job) I do not to bother the waiter too much with my complaint, but ask directly for the manager to get it addressed. That's what managers are paid for and harassing an underpaid waiter doesn't get much accomplished.

But I can say that Yak and Yeti CS was just plain awful, but I wasn't about to make a fuss over a $7 dinner.
disneydee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #69
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Open your mouth and say something!!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: