Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #31
Okh
Mouseketeer

First, if I can stick up for my industry - I've worked in a LOT of NYC kitchens in the past ten years and even run one or two you may have heard of (I teach now, thank God) and have never once seen anyone mess with someone's food. We would have had them arrested if they did.

Addressing the topic at hand, this actually is a credit to Disney - we were at Artist Point and my salmon was maybe a minute underdone. I pointed it out to the waitress and asked if they could just put it back under the salamander to finish it off. They brought me a whole new dish which was really neat but then the manager came to the table and told us that the entire meal was on the house. That's WAY over the top customer service and a credit for Disney.
“When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no such thing as perfect food, only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection becomes clear: to make people happy, that is what cooking is all about.”
― Thomas Keller

Okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
Maggie Lizer
DIS Veteran

If a manager hadn't eventually showed up last month when we ate at Paradiso 37, we were going to walk out without paying. Worst service I have ever encountered, and while the delivery of my entree salad was prompt, it took them 45 minutes to bring DH his steak, and it was cold and obviously forgotten. I actually gave him half of my salad and told him to just eat it and we'll ask for the bill for just the salad and DH's wine. We tried to flag down our waiter, then ANY waiter, for about 20 minutes, and finally got ours, but before DH could tell the waiter, he nodded and scurried off to bring the cold beef. DH ate some of it, but only because he was famished by that point, and asked to see a manager. He took forever to show up. We kept getting excuses, and after 15 minutes, I started packing up the baby bag to head out with a note on the table saying the food and service were both so bad they could forget me paying, when the manager FINALLY shows up and starts talking about comping the steak. DH was so disgusted that the manager comped everything, and started to offer us some free appie if we came back that week or something like that, but I actually cut him off and said, sorry, buddy, we won't be back.

DS1 & DS2 (and DH, of course) 4/29 - 5/8/14.

Possibly again in January 2015????
Maggie Lizer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #33
Suellen
DIS Veteran

For me it is hardly ever the food that totally turns me off. I hate bad service most....that is most likely to get the manager.

I also hate it when the whole table doesn't get their food at the same time...we came to ear as a family - nit spend two hours watching eachother eat in turns.

Not at Disney - but I've had my dad what so long for a refill on his drink he went into the kitchen to get his own. After that it was never more then 1/4 empty before they brought a new one. The manager did not like seeing a customer walk into the kitchen and serve himself - I can tell you that.

We love Tony's why all the Tony's hate?
Coral Reef has been hit or miss - I think miss too many times now though and the family doesn't want to go back.
Sci-fi is hit or misss also but the entertainment factor wins and the kids still like it
Cap'n Jacks has been good but we have only been a few times.

Last night a t Via Napoli we had the candlelight processional - but they brought out my and Dd5 food and DH and Dd7 waited about 10 minutes longer....I wasn't pleased but wanted out CP tickets.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #34
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Lizer
If a manager hadn't eventually showed up last month when we ate at Paradiso 37, we were going to walk out without paying. Worst service I have ever encountered, and while the delivery of my entree salad was prompt, it took them 45 minutes to bring DH his steak, and it was cold and obviously forgotten. I actually gave him half of my salad and told him to just eat it and we'll ask for the bill for just the salad and DH's wine. We tried to flag down our waiter, then ANY waiter, for about 20 minutes, and finally got ours, but before DH could tell the waiter, he nodded and scurried off to bring the cold beef. DH ate some of it, but only because he was famished by that point, and asked to see a manager. He took forever to show up. We kept getting excuses, and after 15 minutes, I started packing up the baby bag to head out with a note on the table saying the food and service were both so bad they could forget me paying, when the manager FINALLY shows up and starts talking about comping the steak. DH was so disgusted that the manager comped everything, and started to offer us some free appie if we came back that week or something like that, but I actually cut him off and said, sorry, buddy, we won't be back.
Good for you for standing up for yourselves. This is what i would expect from disappointed patrons. I'm sorry your meal was so crummy and your time was wasted.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #35
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
Can you really refuse to pay though? You can try to get the manager to comp it, but isn't just not paying illegal?
People do it all the time, and generally if you raise a big enough stink, the Mgr. will comp the meal just to get you moving along!

Personally, it's been seldom that I've had "inedible" food, but if that were the case I wouldn't eat it and would bring it to the attention of someone right away! I would not pay for something that was inedible, not at Disney, not anywhere.

The problem with busy places like Disney, by the time you re-ordered a replacement dish, your dining party would already be finished and your appetite would be somewhat satisfied by the salad or bread course.

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #36
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okh View Post
First, if I can stick up for my industry - I've worked in a LOT of NYC kitchens in the past ten years and even run one or two you may have heard of (I teach now, thank God) and have never once seen anyone mess with someone's food. We would have had them arrested if they did.
I've also worked in the industry and I can tell you that it happens more than you think!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #37
starrysky
DIS Veteran

We would have done this at both our meals at Ohana and Tony's both really bad but as we are some of the food as we were hungry and hoping that somewhere in the meal the food would be good. Service at both was terrible. Got a little flaming for my comments about Ohana on another thread.

I have never walked out without telling a manager why I am leaving if I have refused to pay. Had a few meals where we have not had to pay for various reasons and food taken off the bill. I sound fussy but I expect good service attentive if possible and the food to be edible. Sadly not just at Disney but lots of places this just has not been the case.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #38
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd

I've also worked in the industry and I can tell you that it happens more than you think!
Thank you! I know all establishments manage their kitchens differently for sure but it definitely happens a lot.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #39
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
Thank you! I know all establishments manage their kitchens differently for sure but it definitely happens a lot.
I have seen it happen too. And I mean stuff beyond what you usually hear about people spitting in the food. Worse. Much worse. This is when I was a waitress, and I was told to keep my mouth shut when I reported it to the manager.

The lesson is: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be nice when you are in a restaurant. ALWAYS.
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #40
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

JMHO, but there are a few posts that sorta concerns me.

No matter how horrendous the food or service is, I would NEVER simply get up and walk out without speaking to a manager - at the very least, notify the wait staff. Even if it means waiting longer or hunting them down.

Even if you felt justified in walking out, there are legal ramifications. For all they know, you're just a bunch of deadbeats skipping out on the check. I know - this won't apply to those using TS creds but they need to at least have a chance to make it up....
Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #41
ktnryansmom
Mouseketeer

thank you everyone for the feedback.
I am hoping for the best!

From what I've read service seems to be a major issue too....I'm assuming this taken into consideration when tipping, yes?
ktnryansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #42
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okh View Post
I imagine the scenarios being described are more in the franchise-line of businesses than other venues. Doesn't excuse it, but when your staff is primarily working part time at minimum wage to pay for books, it's easy to forget to care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer1954 View Post
They probably could, but the manager watching you leave without doing anything to track you down is the same as comping your meal.
Perhaps, but practically, I don't think they'd have much hope of legally requiring a patron pay for a meal that had water bugs crawling in it.
[ edit : to clarify ] a dish that wasn't supposed to have water bugs. It's not just because it was an exotic dish, :/.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #43
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

If you feel that your meal is bad enough that you don't think you should pay for it you absolutely have to get a manager involved!

If you simply walk out one of two things is going to happen.

1) your room will be charged for the amount you walked out on if there are charging privileges.

2) your server will be responsible for the amount you owe.

I've been in the food industry a long time and i have seen a lot. I will say that at Disney there is rule that if the food hit the table it cannot be taken back in and put back on the grill/ oven/pan. It's a total recook. So something being done to your food is not going to happen. Now at an offsite restaurant, that's another story.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #44
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktnryansmom View Post
you refused to pay or use a TS credit?

I've seen some pretty questionable reviews about some meals that I would never pay for in a million years.

Has this happened to anyone?
Not me. Although 'Ohana was close.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #45
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein

Not me. Although 'Ohana was close.
Moi aussi!

We hated 'Ohana. I honestly didn't know what all the hype was about. Dinner felt... Dare I say it... Tacky (with the awful ukelele and singing) but maybe that's a matter of taste. The food was terrible too.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: