Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #76
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 14,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
When the main water valve was on, water was not only shooting out of the handle, but leaking behind the wall. So turning it on to flush the toilet was not an option.
Yes, when we had that problem with our shower, it wasn't shooting out everywhere, but it was leaking all down within the wall, and that would cause a big problem. You don't want many more hundreds, thousands, of dollars in water-damage to have to deal with!!!!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #77
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points
 
Tigger&Belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Maryland!
Posts: 37,878

Sounds as if this problem has little to do with the shower and more to do with other things. Communication seems to be lacking on both sides, but for your husband to have made a problem worse, then gone off for hours to have fun, and then on top of it came back whining about his day is over the top. Points to an inconsiderate person as far as I can see. If he'd communicated that he was frustrated with the shower, needed a break, but wasn't forgetting about the work that needed to be completed, that would be a different picture. And yes, I do believe he should have checked before coming home to see if you and your son had eaten dinner and offered to bring something home.

I would suggest the two of you working on communication skills. Maybe other things, but that would be a good start.

And vent away. That's one good thing about posting here....sometimes we just need to say what we're thinking.
__________________
***Please note that this posters fingers move faster than her brain and any and all comments considered snarky and/or innuendo-ey are not the intent of said poster***
Tigger&Belle
Tigger&Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #78
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet
 
Zandy595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: SE FLORIDA
Posts: 10,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
To clarify, NHDisneylover, I think that most of the people who did make those 'in your opinion' over the top suggestions did so after realizing that the OP was going on TWO days without water, it was getting late at night, and her husband had been AWOL for hours.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one.
It was actually just yesterday that we didn't have water. It was more annoying that DH just took off when he should have been trying to fix it. When he finally came home last night, he realized he needed a different part. The plumbing supply store was open until 5pm yesterday. If he had stayed home he would have had time to get there before they closed. He's actually there right now getting the part.
__________________
Sandy Dream Menus

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #79
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS
 
kellyg403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,353

OP, I still stand behind the actions/reactions. His action was to break the bathroom further, which caused the water to be turned off. He decide that going to the movies with his parents was more important. Thats ok if that is what he decides to do. However, you need to realize that your frustration and anger stems from waiting around for him to fix something that was a priority ONLY to you.

Years ago, we had a car. This car was a piece of crap but dh loved the thing. It was the only car we had. It broke down. My dh, was never handy dandy with tools no matter what he tells you. It sat for 3 days while he 'fixed it' and in the meantime I was struggling to get rides to work, daycare you name it and getting madder by the minute. Finally on day 3 I told him the car would be running on day 4 or it was getting towed. On day 4 I had it towed and fixed by 5pm. Dh looked like he won the lottery. He wa sin over his head and didn't want to admit it. Possibly that is the problem with your dh, not wanting to admit he is in over his head.

This is what I do to this day when something needs to be fixed. I give dh the opportunity to show his he man skills as he always thinks he can fix things. But, wego in knowing that on a certain day we are calling someone. He is much better at knowing what jobs he can tackle and ones out of his league. I am less frustrated and angry because I know that by a certain day it will be fixed. And in the meantime, I make arrangements around it.

I hope your water is fixed soon!

Kelly
__________________
kellyg403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #80
Cruisin
If you can't carry it, you don't need it
I keep on posting to things just so I can look at my tags
I love my Captain Mickey antenna topper!
 
Cruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
When the main water valve was on, water was not only shooting out of the handle, but leaking behind the wall. So turning it on to flush the toilet was not an option.
Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #81
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...
 
Halloweenqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 4,226

I would have watched a couple of YouTube videos and fixed it myself. Just because your husband is a guy doesn't mean he is a mechanic or plumber.

I would call a plumber if I couldn't fix it. Problem solved.

Yes, your husband was acting like a jerk, but maybe he was over his head and didn't want to admit it. Looks like many people besides the OP expected him to know how to fix it just because he was a man.
__________________
dh me ds 16 dd 15 ds 15 dd 14 dd 10
Halloweenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #82
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet
 
Zandy595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: SE FLORIDA
Posts: 10,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
I would have watched a couple of YouTube videos and fixed it myself. Just because your husband is a guy doesn't mean he is a mechanic or plumber.

I would call a plumber if I couldn't fix it. Problem solved.

Yes, your husband was acting like a jerk, but maybe he was over his head and didn't want to admit it. Looks like many people besides the OP expected him to know how to fix it just because he was a man.
Did you read all my posts? We had a plumber come in to fix it. He couldn't and gave up. He said we'd have to wait until Monday and he would come back and try something else. DH didn't want to wait. So, he tried to fix it and ended up making it a lot worse.
__________________
Sandy Dream Menus

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #83
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,506

I would have taken dd and gone to my mom's where there was water. I would have then sent dh a text or a phone call and simply said "let me know when you get water in the house again, and we will be back". That usually lets dh know I am pretty fumed and it would be in his best interest to get the water fixed.
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #84
Lynne M
 
Lynne M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,029
DISboards Moderator

It was the cartridge that needed to be replaced, right? My dad, who singlehandedly replaced every bit of plumbing in my parents home, had immense trouble with the one in my shower. They can really be a bear to replace, and even looking at You Tube videos, I don't think I would have been able to do it myself. Some things, ya just need a pro for. That's what I ended up doing, calling a plumber. My dad NEVER gives up, but that one got him.

OP, your husband sounds like a friend of mine. Great, kind guy, super-smart, but doesn't think through to consequences. He would have done the same thing as your husband - gone off to the movies with the water not working, because it never would have occurred to him that other people in the house might want to use the toilet or wash their hands while he was gone, or that the plumbing supply store might be closed by the time the movie was done. Drives his wife insane. If it's not happening in this moment, right in front of him, it's not in his mind.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #85
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?
 
DizBelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: It ain't WDW like I want it to be!
Posts: 13,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
I would have watched a couple of YouTube videos and fixed it myself. Just because your husband is a guy doesn't mean he is a mechanic or plumber.

I would call a plumber if I couldn't fix it. Problem solved.

Yes, your husband was acting like a jerk, but maybe he was over his head and didn't want to admit it. Looks like many people besides the OP expected him to know how to fix it just because he was a man.
No - people expected him to attempt to fix it because he said he would fix it. He didn't even try and then left to go to the movies. THAT is the problem.

He should have never said he was going to fix it if he wasn't going to as a priority.
__________________

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================

Last edited by DizBelle; 11-26-2012 at 11:04 AM.
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #86
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet
 
Zandy595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: SE FLORIDA
Posts: 10,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
It was the cartridge that needed to be replaced, right? My dad, who singlehandedly replaced every bit of plumbing in my parents home, had immense trouble with the one in my shower. They can really be a bear to replace, and even looking at You Tube videos, I don't think I would have been able to do it myself. Some things, ya just need a pro for. That's what I ended up doing, calling a plumber. My dad NEVER gives up, but that one got him.

OP, your husband sounds like a friend of mine. Great, kind guy, super-smart, but doesn't think through to consequences. He would have done the same thing as your husband - gone off to the movies with the water not working, because it never would have occurred to him that other people in the house might want to use the toilet or wash their hands while he was gone, or that the plumbing supply store might be closed by the time the movie was done. Drives his wife insane. If it's not happening in this moment, right in front of him, it's not in his mind.
Yes, it was the cartridge. The plumber couldn't get it out and broke a puller trying. DH said the plumber was using the puller wrong. So he went out and bought a puller to try it himself. Guess what happened, he broke the puller. Then he decided to pound on it with a hammer and screwdriver to chip it out. I'm guessing that's when he broke whatever it was that made the water shoot out of the handle and into the wall. It's been a fun few days.
__________________
Sandy Dream Menus

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #87
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,659

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
No - people expected him to attempt to fix it because he said he would fix it. He didn't even try and then left to go to the movies. THAT is the problem.

He should have never said he was going to fix it if he wasn't going as a priority.
I say I can fix things and then guess what... turns out I can't. Sometimes "stuff" happens. Also, backing away from the problem after it's frustrated the heck out of you isn't always a bad idea.

And let's be honest... we're not even talking about 12 hours here. Going to the movie, decompressing, then taking a fresh stab at the problem isn't a bad thing. The question is did DH get the water taken care of when he got back, or did OP have to wait for the plumber to return Monday?
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #88
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I think they are exactly the same.
We're not talking about 1800 pioneer woman, schlepping water from the stream here. You can most definitely survive 24 hours without running water in your house, not only would you probably survive, I doubt very little would change except a few things didn't get accomplished.

We're talking about AT most a minor inconvenience of having to run to the store and buying a few gallons of water to flush the toilet for 1 day.

At 16 my sons have gone to bed without showering, they've thrown on a dirty shirt and sweats and they are not strangers to having to lug water up a flight of stairs.

Definitely agree with the priorities got a little screwed up. No questions there. I totally agree I would have been P.O'ed.

But I'm sticking to my assessment, if the worst thing in my marriage is that my dh makes a dumb mistakes like leaving a home repair half done for 1 day, LOL with college tuition, teen driving, teen drinking, daily finanical issues, retirement decisions, (heck even vacation decisions rank way higher) oh and battling luekema. I'll take it. Personally I'm glad dh doesn't hold me to perfectionist standards either. whoa baby would I be in trouble.

But like I said, I generally don't go around looking for underlying problems to a simply screw up. I really don't sweat the small stuff. On a Saturday or sunday with an impromptu plumbing issue? Yep, I would have been totally inconsiderate, blew off the housework, grabbed the kid, hit the malls and had dinner at my favorite local italian eatery.
I see your point.

ETA I am very sorry to hear about your DH.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #89
dominiondad
Mouseketeer
 
dominiondad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 142

As I reread this thread, I'm changing my mind. DH had no business even attempting this project and is not a jerk for leaving, but rather a jerk for even starting. If water was spraying out when he broke the piece, that means the water was on. You can NOT remove a cartridge with the water on or you will end up with a flood. The fact that he was even attempting such a repair without first turning the water off indicates he was in way over his head. In short, this project was headed for disaster as soon as DH picked up the wrench. OP should probably be thankful that DH was unsuccessfull in removing the cartridge because otherwise the damage would have been greater.

As an aside, the pullers almost never work. If you clamp vice grips on the cartridge near the cylinder and place a screwdriver between the two, twisting the screwdriver will ease the cartridge out 99% of the time.
dominiondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #90
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors
 
eliza61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 18,646

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I see your point.

ETA I am very sorry to hear about your DH.


thanks MhsJax, I'm gobbling up all the well wishes like chocolate candy.

I think that losing my best friend for the last 28 years definitely colors all my answers especially about "stupid husband gripes". I'm a pretty blessed gal in that me and my husband agreed on the really big issues and got mad over the little things. We rarely disagreed over child raising and finances. Unfortuantely he too was a guy who thought that owning a complete set of wrenches made him a plumber, electrician, hvac and car mechanic.
Remind me to tell you the story of coming home and finding him and my babies sitting in the car because he decided to use bleach in the air conditioning unit to clean the filters. ***sighs*** we couldn't go into the house for 2 days. this was a man with a degree in Engineering. be afraid!!

thanks for the well wishes.
__________________
"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." ...John Adams
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.