Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Family Swept to Sea in Dog Rescue

A teenager and his parents were swept out to sea one by one after the boy tried to save their pet dog, which was overtaken by 10-foot-waves while running on the beach.

The family, which included the parents, son, a daughter and their dog were at Big Lagoon beach, about 30 miles north of Eureka, Calif., on Saturday when the incident occurred, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

The dog was playing fetch with a stick on the steep beach when the 10-foot-swell came in, according to Coast Guard Lt. Bernie Garrigan.

"The beach is incredibly steep, and we had 10 foot swells... come through there Saturday, and it is really really steep, so the 10 foot waves smashes directly on the beach. They were throwing a stick for the dog, and the dog ran too close to the water and got pulled in," Garrigan said.

When the dog was overtaken by the wave and pulled out into the ocean, the 16-year-old boy went in after him and it was quickly apparent that the boy was in trouble.

The parents then went in to rescue the boy, according to Garrigan. All three were pulled out to sea. The dog managed to find its way back on shore and survived.

The daughter never entered the water, Garrigan said.

The Coast Guard did not release the names of the family members.

The Coast Guard and Humboldt County Sheriff's Department responded to a 911 call about the individuals in the water, sending a helicopter and two rescue boats to scour the water.

The bodies of the parents were found onshore later Saturday. The search for the boy continued Saturday and Sunday but was suspended today. Garrigan said the sheriff's department was making periodic checks of the beach.

"The Coast Guard gives our condolences to the family. We have done and are doing all we can," he said.

http://gma.yahoo.com/teen-parents-sw...opstories.html
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Minerva Mouse

I think this is one of the saddest things I've ever read.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
mamamary
DIS Veteran

I read this story yesterday morning and it just made me cry - so awful

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

How awful!
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Oh my lord, that poor girl lost her family, I can't imagine.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

http://www.news10.net/news/article/2...ng-to-save-dog
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

That is absolutely the most tragic thing I have ever read. So very sad.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I saw this yesterday. So horrible. That poor girl. My heart aches for her and the rest of the family.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

It's incredibly sad but it was incredibly stupid. Those people live in the area and are familiar with it therefore they should have some clue how dangerous the N. Calif surf can be. They should have known better than to go into the water after the dog.
As a parent, once the kid was in the water, I totally understand their reactions and have no idea how I would have reacted but I do know I would have moved heaven and earth to keep my teenager from going after the dog in pounding surf in the first place.
I really feel for the daughter who lost her entire family in the blink of an eye, standing helplessly on a beach.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

So sad. I feel so bad for this family.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

This is just heartbreaking.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

How tragic and heartbreaking . My heart goes out to their daughter and families involved.
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nana View Post
How tragic and heartbreaking . My heart goes out to their daughter and families involved.
I agree. So sad.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
Minerva Mouse

Update

The daughter left behind when her parents and brother were swept out to sea while trying to save their pet dog is "devastated," according to one relative.

Olivia Kuljian, 18, watched from the northern California beach Saturday as her brother, 16-year-old Gregory Kuljian, went into the rough surf after their dog was swept away by a 10-foot-wave. The Kuljian's parents then went in after Gregory, and all three were pulled out into the ocean by the rough surf.

"She is doing the best she can under the circumstances, but obviously she is devastated," David Scott, Olivia's uncle, told ABC News today. "To wake up and not have a family anymore, it's just devastating. I can't explain it. I hope no one else ever has to go through this."

The bodies of the girl's parents were found hours later on the beach. A search for Gregory was called off Sunday and his body has not been found.

David Scott, who lives in Florida, said that the family is waiting until the body of Gregory is recovered to make funeral arrangements. The family's friends in Humboldt County, Calif., have rallied around Olivia and the extended family, he said.

"She and her mother and the whole family were loved by the community, and I feel very good in my heart that they'll take care of Olivia the best they can," he said. "It's very traumatic, of course, and I'm very thankful for the friends that have been very supportive. We've gotten hundreds of comments and prayers."

The dog was playing fetch with a stick on the steep beach when the 10-foot-swell came in, according to Coast Guard Lt. Bernie Garrigan.

"The beach is incredibly steep, and we had 10 foot swells... come through there Saturday, and it is really really steep, so the 10 foot waves smashes directly on the beach. They were throwing a stick for the dog, and the dog ran too close to the water and got pulled in," Garrigan said.

Gregory ran toward the water but was also pulled in. Howard Kuljian, 54, and his wife, Mary Scott, 57, then went to try and rescue their son.

Olivia and Gregory's girlfriend, whose name has not been released, remained on the beach while a witness called 911, according to the Associated Press.

Coast Guard life boats and a helicopter rushed to the scene, but officials were not able to rescue any of the family members. The search for Gregory Kuljian, known as Geddie, was called off Sunday night due to cold, windy weather, according to Garrigan.

The U.S. Coast Guard said that Gregory would not have been able to survive in the cold water past Sunday.

The dog survived the incident.

Scott said that members of the Kuljian's community had offered to take care of the entire family when they travel for the funeral.

Students at Gregory's high school began a social media campaign on Facebook and Twitter over the weekend, organizing a "Wear Green for Geddie" day on Monday.

"Rest in Paradise you sweet sweet boy. You were an honor to know, and I barely even knew you #weargreenforgeddie," wrote Twitter user Colleen Epperly.

"It's amazing how we all can come together to celebrate the life of such such a great person #WearGreenForGeddie." wrote Westleigh Davies.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: