Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Southernswthrt
Mouseketeer

Recent Budget Rental Experiences

So it's looking like we'll be renting thru Budget in a couple weeks because Alamo and National are still sky high

So how many of you out there have used Budget recently? And what were your experiences? Long lines at the counter? Were the cars new and clean? Car selection?

Any advice on what to expect is appreciated.
Southernswthrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Melct
Mouseketeer

I rented from Budget a couple months ago in Pittsburgh. No lines, cars were clean and no issues. I usually rent from Budget because prices are most competitive and never had an issue.

Melissa
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
francie57
DIS Veteran

We used Budget in Aug. since they had the best price. We rented a minivan and it was very clean and we had no problems with it at all. I have their rapid rez account so we didn't have to go to the counter, we went straight to the garage window and had the key for the car in less than 5 min. With Budget you don't get to pick the car you want, they assign you one so when you leave the counter you will have a key and parking spot to go to.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernswthrt
So it's looking like we'll be renting thru Budget in a couple weeks because Alamo and National are still sky high

So how many of you out there have used Budget recently? And what were your experiences? Long lines at the counter? Were the cars new and clean? Car selection?

Any advice on what to expect is appreciated.
We rented from Budget at MCO in late July arriving on Friday at dinnertime and what a nightmare!!! I chose Budget because the rates were GREAT!!! The line wasn't long but the counter was understaffed and the line was moving at all!! The problem for us was, we needed an SUV and they were OUT of them!! They tried downsizing us, but I had selected the vehicle size based on what we needed to carry in the vehicle and the smaller SUV wasn't cutting it!! They tried getting one from the other rental company the own (alamo, maybe?) and they tried the budget counter on the other side of the airport but they were just out of them altogether!! I was dealing with one of the managers and we were waiting for people to return a vehicle It was bad! It took us 2.5 hrs just to get our rental!! UGH! Unfortunately, we weren't going to Disney so everything had to go in the vehicle. What was worse was the manager told me they had more reservations after me and no more returns coming back. So they were going to have to tell those people they didn't have a vehicle that they had reserved for them!!! how awful!!
After MY experience I don't think I will use budget at MCO again. I know you can have problems anywhere, but this was beyond bad IMO. I hope if you use them, your experience is better!

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Southernswthrt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

We rented from Budget at MCO in late July arriving on Friday at dinnertime and what a nightmare!!! I chose Budget because the rates were GREAT!!! The line wasn't long but the counter was understaffed and the line was moving at all!! The problem for us was, we needed an SUV and they were OUT of them!! They tried downsizing us, but I had selected the vehicle size based on what we needed to carry in the vehicle and the smaller SUV wasn't cutting it!! They tried getting one from the other rental company the own (alamo, maybe?) and they tried the budget counter on the other side of the airport but they were just out of them altogether!! I was dealing with one of the managers and we were waiting for people to return a vehicle It was bad! It took us 2.5 hrs just to get our rental!! UGH! Unfortunately, we weren't going to Disney so everything had to go in the vehicle. What was worse was the manager told me they had more reservations after me and no more returns coming back. So they were going to have to tell those people they didn't have a vehicle that they had reserved for them!!! how awful!!
After MY experience I don't think I will use budget at MCO again. I know you can have problems anywhere, but this was beyond bad IMO. I hope if you use them, your experience is better!

Great
This makes me want to throw caution to the wind and use the infamous klm code for National. And I would in a heartbeat if we didn't have another family renting as well. Not sure they are as daring. Lol
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
francie57
DIS Veteran

As I said before we had no problem in Aug. Why don't you join the fastbreak program (its free) and then you would be able to go right to the garage and the booth there. We have done this twice this year so far and will be doing it again in Jan.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by francie57
As I said before we had no problem in Aug. Why don't you join the fastbreak program (its free) and then you would be able to go right to the garage and the booth there. We have done this twice this year so far and will be doing it again in Jan.
Even the Fastbreak members weren't getting what they had reserved that night. It was a nightmare. They were just short vehicles. Now I don't know that it was a problem across all the classes of vehicles, but in our class being a fastbreak member didn't make any difference! just sayin...
I couldn't help but overhear a very loud conversation between a fast break member and a buget employee. It wasn't pleasant.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
joncorr3
Mouseketeer

I will never rent from Budget again. Rented a "Mid-sized SUV Comparable to Ford Escape" and was given a Mazda CX-7 tiny hatchback car. I have no idea how they used it as an SUV. Also waited in line forever. And going up I4 from Tampa (were we flew into) I noticed THE HOOD WAS NOT LATCHED.

Never again, Lousy car, not as advertised, was not given a choice, only to uprgade.
Stay with Alamo or Dollar.
joncorr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
Southernswthrt
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies. I think you guys have convinced me to cancel with Budget and pay a little more for National/Alamo. National with the KLM code is very comparable to price, but the code makes me nervous so I was trying to avoid it! If Alamo or National don't come down with other codes in the next 8 days, I'm going to go for it with KLM
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

It sounds like you may have made up your mind already, but just thought I'd let you know that we used Budget this Oct and last year and it was great. The price was unbeatable both years. We reserved the mid size SUV both times and were given a Jeep Patriot once and a Ford Escape this year. I signed up for the fastbreak program and both years we were in and out of the garage in minutes with no lines at all. Would be very comfortable renting with them again.

DH me DS 10 DD 8

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
Swat18
Earning My Ears

Anyone have experience with the Budget counter at Sanford?
Swat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo View Post
It sounds like you may have made up your mind already, but just thought I'd let you know that we used Budget this Oct and last year and it was great. The price was unbeatable both years. We reserved the mid size SUV both times and were given a Jeep Patriot once and a Ford Escape this year. I signed up for the fastbreak program and both years we were in and out of the garage in minutes with no lines at all. Would be very comfortable renting with them again.
What a relief to hear. We are renting for the first time from Budget later this month (Christmas week) and this thread had me very uneasy. Our reservation cost for a standard SUV is fantastic (literally hundreds and hundres of dollars less than competitors rates) so its either a smaller vehicle with another company or we stick with Budget.

I am very glad to hear the Fastbreak system works as promised. I am looking forward to skipping the lines and heading straight to pick up our vehicle.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
magsmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
What a relief to hear. We are renting for the first time from Budget later this month (Christmas week) and this thread had me very uneasy. Our reservation cost for a standard SUV is fantastic (literally hundreds and hundres of dollars less than competitors rates) so its either a smaller vehicle with another company or we stick with Budget.

I am very glad to hear the Fastbreak system works as promised. I am looking forward to skipping the lines and heading straight to pick up our vehicle.
We also are Fastbreak members and have rented from Budget in Orlando and other sites such as Denver/Vegas/LA many times and never had an issue. We are holding another Budget reservation for this Feb. and I am not worried at all.
magsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgeo

Please post after your trip and let us know how it works out. Christmas week is an incredibly busy week there and I was in a similar situation where Budget's rates for the standard SUV I reserved were a crazy good deal compared to anybody else's!! I'd love to know if they run out of them again or if you are lucky enough to get what you reserve. I look forward to hearing back from you after your trip. Good Luck!!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
mulderxcoltrane
Mouseketeer

What are the minimum rental requirements for Fastbreak?
mulderxcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: