Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #16
faithtrustpixie
Mouseketeer

Hello fellow Midwesterners! I know we had a mild winter last year but the chance of that happening again is pretty slim. If you can change your flight, consider staying overnight at the Hyatt MCO. They'll haul your luggage to the Disney transfer and you can board the busses in a totally relaxed fashion.

I hope everything works out and I hope you have a great cruise!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
crazydiamond
Earning My Ears

As I feared. Ugh, I messed up. I booked the flight outside of DCL. We are on a tight budget, this was a cheap flight, and I was trying to avoid additional hotel costs. We do have DCL transportation arranged. Because of midwest weather concerns I did get travel insurance.

However, I am going to check into going the day before and staying at a cheap hotel.
crazydiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #18
rkdahl
Mouseketeer

I couldn't tell if your flights had a connection or was a direct flight. Even with the direct flight you are at risk. But with a connecting flight in the middle, at say a northern wintery airport you double that risk. Our policy is always fly in the day before a cruise. It drastically improves your chances. Even if you had the cruise line book the airfare and shuttle to the ship and have insurance, one late flight will wreck your vacation. Even if you did all that, they would get you to the ship at the next port but you'd miss 1-2 days of your cruise.

Depending on your airline you can go to their web site or flightstats.com and check the on time percentage that flight on a specific route typically makes. It's helpful, but not of course guaranteed. I would definitely consider changing to the day before, but you'll now have change fees to consider.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Last edited by rkdahl; 11-26-2012 at 08:16 AM.
rkdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #19
crazydiamond
Earning My Ears

It is a direct nonstop flight. We even decided on flying out of Milwaukee instead of ohare because ohare is such a gamble on delays.

Sigh....I checked with airline - they are going to hit us with over 600 bucks to change to flight day before hand. Perhaps we will stay at hotel next to Downtown Disney and do some window shopping the day before hand. I will take a day or two to think this over.
crazydiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

There are many hotels around the airport (not just the MCO Hyatt which is pricier) that you can book inexpensively. Many offer a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then you can shuttle back to the airport in the morning to take the DCL bus. Some also offer breakfast.

I always travel at least the day before a cruise (I live in the northeast) so that I have extra time for delays, cancellations, etc. My last cruise I flew out at 5:30 the evening before and that was beginning to stress me a bit as I knew there was only one additional flight out that night if there were any issues.

In 2008 I flew out the day before. I was scheduled for a 10AM flight. Woke up a storm and to find the 7AM flight was canceled. Kept track of my flight and it didn't show canceled but the flight ended up being delayed several times. We finally took off about 4 hours late. They were offering loads of deals for people who could take later flights but we opted not to as we also had tickets to MNSSHP that night. We did make it in time to get over to the party and of course had time to get to the port the next day.

Getting to Orlando (no matter where you stay) is such a relief cause at that point you know barring any disaster, you will be on that ship!!
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #21
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
It is a direct nonstop flight. We even decided on flying out of Milwaukee instead of ohare because ohare is such a gamble on delays.

Sigh....I checked with airline - they are going to hit us with over 600 bucks to change to flight day before hand. Perhaps we will stay at hotel next to Downtown Disney and do some window shopping the day before hand. I will take a day or two to think this over.
Ouch! That hurts!
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
Sleepyluke
Mouseketeer

Does DCL know your arrival time yet? The reason I ask is that even though you have their transportation booked, it is not linked up until you provide them all the details. They may not even guarantee a bus will still be there past a certain time (someone may know the answer though) The biggest problem I see is that even if they hold the bus on you, your luggage may not get to the port in time. There is also the other issue of a wreck on the road getting from MCO to the port.

$600 is a big chunk of money, but I could not imagine getting there and the ship being just out of sight.

Disney lives on magic, but that is even a lot for them.....
Sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

We are cruising in February. We have an early morning flight booked the day before just in case of weather/cancellations, etc. it gives us time to jump in the car and drive if we have to.
I would never risk arriving that late the day of...

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

I wasn't sure if I should hijack this thread or start a new one. Since my question is similar I hope the OP doesn't mind.

Does anyone fly in to MCO on the day of their cruise?

We are dreaming of a cruise and live in the midwest, but we're thinking of doing a summer cruise so winter weather shouldn't be an issue. There is a nonstop flight that arrives in MCO at 9:30, and another one that arrives at 10:30. Would these be ok? I'd rather sleep in my bed and take the morning flight, but I don't want massive stress either? Any opinions?

Thanks!

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #25
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo View Post
I wasn't sure if I should hijack this thread or start a new one. Since my question is similar I hope the OP doesn't mind.

We are dreaming of a cruise and live in the midwest, but we're thinking of doing a summer cruise so winter weather shouldn't be an issue. There is a nonstop flight that arrives in MCO at 9:30, and another one that arrives at 10:30. Would these be ok? I'd rather sleep in my bed and take the morning flight, but I don't want massive stress either? Any opinions?

Thanks!
I took a flight, nonstop from Ohio to Chicago in May. Beautiful weather. 6 hour delay due to mechanical issues. If I'd've been catching a cruise, I'd've missed the boat! Stuff can happen any time of the year. It's just way more likely in winter.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #26
Grandma4ever
One day closer and still counting!!!

Quote:

Thanks!
I did it once on our first cruise and was so stressed out i could not sleep, had to get up before dawn to get airport and feared we would be delayed. By the time I got to the ship I was exhusted. If you can find a way to manage a change to allow you to fly in the day before I believe it will be well worth it.

We have always cruised in the early fall and I still am not willing to risk flying in the day of. Never Never again once was more than enough.
Land & sea/ Carribean Beach / Wonder 8/03; WDW POP Century & Magic 8/04 (Eastern); Magic 10/05 (Eastern / Halloween); Magic 9/06 (Eastern); WDW 9/2/07 Port Orleans FQ & Magic 9/8/07 (Western) ; WDW 9/20/08 POP Century, Magic 9/27/2008 Alternative Western, & 10/04/2008 Western; All Star Music 7/8/09, All Star Music 12/9/09, Disneyland 5/19/10 to 5/23/10, Magic 10/23/2010 (Eastern) & Magic 10/30/2010 (Western) 9/14/12 POFQ & 9/22/12 (Eastern) Fantasy, 10-25-2014 (Western) & 11-1-2014 (Eastern) Fantasy Mouser

Grandma4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #27
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
As I feared. Ugh, I messed up. I booked the flight outside of DCL. We are on a tight budget, this was a cheap flight, and I was trying to avoid additional hotel costs. We do have DCL transportation arranged. Because of midwest weather concerns I did get travel insurance.

However, I am going to check into going the day before and staying at a cheap hotel.
We use Priceline to get an MCO area hotel. I bid at the 2.5* level because at this level all the hotels offer a complimentary shuttle to/from MCO and breakfast (quality varies). While some places have been nicer than others, none have been in any way objectionable. I've gotten bids accepted from $29-$39 (add taxes and fees for a total of under $50 for the night). This leaves open all transportation options--if we are going to rent a car, we can do that in the evening we arrive; if using DCL transportation, just take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and check in for the bus. If using a limo/towncar, they can pick you up at the hotel.

Warning--do not go below 2.5*. If you do, there are some scuzzy places you could get.

Do not fly in the morning of the cruise if you have ANY other options. It isn't worth getting up at 4 am to get to the airport, the stress, the "what ifs," etc. Just no. Come in the night before if at all possible. Plenty of people fly in the day of the cruise; in many parts of the country, that is what DCL air will do for you at their standard rate. However, even with travel insurance, the BEST they can do for you is to give you money back so you can reschedule a vacation or fly you to the next port. There is no way to make the vacation "right" if you don't make it to port on time. I just don't like the stress of a same day flight--I arrive at the terminal exhausted.

Last edited by kcashner; 11-27-2012 at 08:05 AM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #28
sarbah77
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!
We still have thunderstorms, which can certainly delay things!

sarbah77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #29
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Thanks for all the advice! It looks like I should just add a hotel night in Orlando and extra food for that night/breakfast into the budget. To go on a cruise would be a VERY nice (read - most expensive we've done by far) vacation for us and I don't want to ruin it over messed up air travel. We'll just have to save longer until we can go, it's not like the Caribbean's going anywhere we'll get there someday!
Thanks

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #30
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice! It looks like I should just add a hotel night in Orlando and extra food for that night/breakfast into the budget. To go on a cruise would be a VERY nice (read - most expensive we've done by far) vacation for us and I don't want to ruin it over messed up air travel. We'll just have to save longer until we can go, it's not like the Caribbean's going anywhere we'll get there someday!
Thanks
This doesn't have to be an "end of the world" expense. There are hotels that offer good packages. For example, DCL transfers are $70 per person round trip. 2 one way car rentals will cost about $140 with taxes, fees, tolls, gas, etc. OK, the Hyatt Place hotel offers a "stay and cruise" package which includes an overnight stay, GOOD breakfast the next morning, and round trip cruise transportation for up to 4 people in addition to their shuttle to/from MCO. The price on this varies with the dates, but for us it was $121. I've seen it as "high" as $150. Um....that's the price of 2 round trip transfers on DCL. If there are 4 if you, it's a saving of real money.

They Wyngate offers a similar package, but Hyatt Place is cheaper and better.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: