Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
crazydiamond
Earning My Ears

Close arrival time at airport for cruise

For our January Cruise, we arrive in Orlando at 1:10pm (assuming no delays) from the Midwest. I have completed the Disney online check-in and have all documents ready. Our boarding time is 3-3:30pm.

Should I be concerned having only about 2 hours from landing to cruise boarding?

Is the cruise bus usually waiting and ready to go and our luggage all transferred from plane to bus - or do people wait?

I could skip the tagged luggage and Disney Bus and jump into a limo with the family if I think this is too close for time.
crazydiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

I drive so I am no expert but I thought if you have DCL transfers they ate more likely to wait for the bus. Personally I would not have booked that flight on day of...leaves no room AT ALL for error

RN_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

Oo and just read January= winter weather

Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
Should I be concerned having only about 2 hours from landing to cruise boarding?
Yes.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

January? Are you coming from snow country? Even a rain delay can cause you to miss your cruise. On our latest trip to MCO we were delayed four hours from a mechanical problem.

After you get to MCO (hopefully on time!) figure half an hour to get off the plane and get onto the bus.

There's no way I would try that -- the stress level would be through the roof.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
For our January Cruise, we arrive in Orlando at 1:10pm (assuming no delays) from the Midwest. I have completed the Disney online check-in and have all documents ready. Our boarding time is 3-3:30pm.

Is the cruise bus usually waiting and ready to go and our luggage all transferred from plane to bus - or do people wait?

I could skip the tagged luggage and Disney Bus and jump into a limo with the family if I think this is too close for time.
Midwest + January = flights delayed due to snow.

Can you move your flight to arrive the day (or two) before your cruise and/or do you have trip insurance in case your flight is delayed or canceled? If you answer no to either part - get trip insurance!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Extremely! The only good thing about your plan is that you apparently opted for Disney transportation, so they'll be there to get you whenever you arrive. Whether the ship will still be there is another question, as flying from the Midwest in January is a *very* risky thing as far as delays are concerned. Did you book your airfare through DCL? If you did, DCL will work to get you on to the ship as soon as possible (if the ship has left, it will be the first non-USA port).

I don't know if it's at all possible to change your flight at this point, but I sure would if I could.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wow, you really like living dangerously, huh?
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

Even 30 minute delay would make this a nightmare! Figure earliest you would be out of airport is 2:00, then VeRY earliest to port 2:45! This is all with NO problems, traffic, delays, etc! Very last all aboard is 3:30 I believe..

Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

I only would have if I booked airfare with the cruiseline and they gave me that time. They will make a greater effort to get me to the ship. In fact, the only way I'd fly in the day of a cruise was if I booked through the cruiseline. OTherwise, I'd fly in the day before. I just wouldn't risk the stress.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

If you can possibly change your flight plans, I would. We flew in the afternoon before when we went on our cruise and I will never do it any other way. I call the $100 it is for a 3 star hotel my "peace of mind" money. And it is SO worth it to have that stress off your shoulders. I knew, even if I was delayed several hours, I would still be on that boat on time. Best of luck to you, I hope you have a wonderful time!

Belated Honeymoon at Disneyland October 2011
Disney Wonder California Coast Sept 2012
Disneyland Sept 2012
Disneyland Sept 2013 with Sam's DF, DSM, and DB's 11, 8, and 5
SamandWill1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Count me in as one of the people who thinks there is a good chance you could miss the boat. If you can't change flights I sure hope you have good travel insurance!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
neg58
DIS Veteran

If Disney arranged your travel, I wouldn't worry. If you arranged it, you'd better make sure they will provide transportation from MCO to the ship if you land that late. If they will, I guess you'll be okay.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandwill1921 View Post
if you can possibly change your flight plans, i would. We flew in the afternoon before when we went on our cruise and i will never do it any other way. I call the $100 it is for a 3 star hotel my "peace of mind" money.
this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

I personally would never arrive the day of the cruise. Anything can happen, Please consider staying a hotel the night before.
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: