Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

Is Thanksgiving dinner more important than Christmas dinner?

I know around here there is a big deal with both Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner but on another thread there seems to be a difference between the two. Thanksgiving seems to be more of a holiday than the Christmas holiday. I am just curious not implying anything at all.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
I know around here there is a big deal with both Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner but on another thread there seems to be a difference between the two. Thanksgiving seems to be more of a holiday than the Christmas holiday. I am just curious not implying anything at all.
tigercat
I am way more into Christmas than Thanksgiving. We have a ton more food and company. The Christmas celebration can go on for several days, Thanksgiving just one in our house.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Yes but we're Jewish, so...

I think the thing is Thanksgiving is really all about the food whereas Christmas has so many other aspects so the dinner becomes just part of it all whereas it's the main event for Thanksgiving.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

I agree that the focus is different. For Thanksgiving the food (so dinner) is a priority. (As well as shopping for many.)
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid

We do a big T-giving dinner, we DO NOT do a big Christmas dinner. Never have. For Christmas we always just do some appetizer type dishes and snack foods.

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
tigercat

Interesting. I know at my house up to now both dinners mean the same thing for us. A good dinner (basically the same menu) and family.
tigercat
Old 11-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
disykat
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others. Thanksgiving is about having a dinner. It's almost all about the meal.

Christmas we have good food, but the food is just a fraction of it. For us, church is the main attraction. Decorations, music, parties, gift exchanges, etc. lead up to the big day for weeks and extend afterwards - it's an entire season. The fact that we have to eat and have lots of special foods during the celebration are secondary.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Are we talking about the importance of the MEAL (i.e. the foods)? Or are we talking about the importance of the actual family gathering/holiday?

For the food/meal/actual dinner, Thanksgiving wins hands down IMO.

For the holiday importance, Thanksgiving can kiss Christmas's butt...again, IMO.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
TheIncredibles!
Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award!

For us Thanksgiving is the bigger holiday and most anticipated meal. Christmas is a crazy day with a lot of stuff going on so that meal is much more simple and not as "strict" in what we serve as opposed to Thanksgiving.
TheIncredibles! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
Interesting. I know at my house up to now both dinners mean the same thing for us. A good dinner (basically the same menu) and family.
tigercat
That was the comment I made as well on the other thread. I had no idea people didn't do a "big" dinner for xmas just like thanksgiving. We have always basically done the same meal as Thanksgiving, so did my family growing up and so did dh's which is why I guess we have done it that way for 26 yrs of marriage. I truly cannot imagine having drive-thru fast food for xmas dinner. I'm more apt to use the china for xmas dinner than Thanksgiving.

xmas=Christmas - just saving a bit of typing; don't want to offend anyone.

disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
indimom
Are We There Yet?

On DH's side of the family the meals are basically identical.
On my side, thanksgiving is the traditional meal, but we have turned Christmas into a soup and sandwich pitch in dinner. Every family brings a different soup (bean, potato, chicken noodle, chili, vegetable, and more), or sandwich fixings. Everyone was burnt out on the traditional dinner and enjoy this option more.

For me, Christmas is much more important and enjoyable than Thanksgiving. Seems like Thanksgiving is just a meal. Christmas is an event.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Thanksgiving is all about the meal. The meal is only one part of Christmas celebrations and not one with one "typical" way of celebrating. For Thanksgiving most people have the big turkey dinner but for Christmas there is a range of different family and ethnic traditions.

In my family, Thanksgiving is the big meal - turkey, ham, and all the fixings. Christmas is a finger-food buffet on Christmas Eve and a special breakfast on Christmas morning, but most years we don't have a traditional sit-down dinner.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
tigercat

I always find it interesting the different ways people do things and I always wondered about the difference in these two holidays. It has seemed in the past that so much is on the boards about Thanksgiving and less about Christmas. I don't think any way is better or worse just different. As I said in another post our Christmas might be different this year so am thinking of how and what we might be eating as I am not sure I really want to do such a big meal for just us. The two boys (both 32) will want to sleep in as they usually work late and will be happy to have a later dinner than usual. We usually do our big meal at noon and then after the meal is finished and the dishes are done we open presents. If it is just the 4 of us though I probably won't even put up a tree and we can open the presents when everyone is up and awake at dinner time. An easier dinner will make it easier on me I guess, although I don't mind having the large dinner. I will make something just not sure what. We don't have a BK in our town but I know for myself we wouldn't be having that. For some reason they make me sick. Not everyone I know just me.
tigercat
Old 11-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

I feel that Thanksgiving is an important holiday, to be thankful for your loved ones and to count your blessings and hopefully enjoy a nice meal together. But Christmas, to me, is more important because of the birthday we are celebrating.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I used to make a big spread for.both holidays bit last year DD19 asked if we could change it up. Rather than have another big feast, she suggested we have simple fare. So I put out a meat &cheese tray, dinner rolls, shrimp cocktail, fruits and veggies, and some Christmas cookies and cupcakes. Everything was very portable and easy. My kids are young adults now, so.they like to go be with their friends Christmas afternoon. Having the.simpler dinner means much less fuss and cleanup for me and I actually get to.enjoy a nice relaxing day

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: