Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
Katieinwonderland
Disney bride July 2008

Where did your baby sleep for the first few weeks?

So I'm due with baby number one in about three weeks, and I'm starting to get a little nervous! I have a question I'm hoping all the lovely Dis moms out there can answer!

We have a nursery all set up with a crib and everything, but I know everyone seems to say it's better to have baby in your room with you for the first few weeks. We have a pack and play set up in our bedroom with a newborn napper, and I was planning on having him sleep in there at night for the first few weeks until he was able to go into his crib. I know a lot of people who did this and it seemed to work for them, but now I'm second guessing that.

So Dis moms, where did your newborn sleep for the first few weeks? Did it make any difference when it came to getting into a sleep routine?

Thanks for any advice, this new mom stuff is pretty scary!
Katieinwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Both of mine slept with me because it was just so convenient with nursing however it started a bad habit and it took forever to get them out of my bed. SO I would suggest setting up a port a crib in your room for the first few weeks and move them into their cribs as the get older and a sleep pattern is developed. Good Luck!
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

my boys both slept with me the first few weeks...literally, on my chest. It's the only way both of us got any sleep.

After that, we co-slept. Never used a crib, to be honest.

I agree that, no matter what, it's easiest to have them in your room those first few weeks. The less time you have to actually be awake in the middle of the night, the better.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
quandrea
DIS Veteran

All three of mine started out in the crib and stayed in the crib. They never would sleep in our bed. Our twins did start out in the same crib for about three weeks, then each others' crying started to bug them. Most important--do what feels right for you.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
allison443
DIS Veteran

Our babies slept in a bassinet in our bedroom for the first couple of months. Then moved to their own room. No problems.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

My daughter slept in a co-sleeper next to my bed- SO easy for night time feedings! I would not have felt comfortable with her in another room as an infant.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
JDX4
Mouseketeer

My 11 month old daughter has always slept in our bed with us. It's so much easier for nursing, especially when I have to get sleep because I have to get up to work in the morning. Plus, I love snuggling with her. She has a crib (inexpensive, from IKEA) in our room. We put her in there sometimes to nap, or if I need to contain her when she's awake when I'm doing something.

My oldest son had a bassinet next to our bed, and then moved to a crib in his own room when he was a couple of months old. My middle child slept in the bassinet, and then slept in our bed with us.

I don't think there is any "right" way. You will figure out what works best for you and your baby. Congratulations and have fun with your new bundle of joy!

WDW Summers of 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2011
Feb. of 2008, 2009

Baby's first trip this August - staying at the Dolphin
JDX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
fitgirl36
DIS Veteran

We used one of these cosleepers with my DD:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3069590

One of the best baby products in my opinion!
fitgirl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I had a bassinet in my room but for the most part we never used it. The baby usually fell alseep in my bed with me nursing. I would fall asleep too. I would wake up with hickeys from the baby waking up and trying to nurse and missing the nipple.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

All three of my kids slept in a bassinet, right next to my bed, for the first 2 or 3 weeks. Then, the bassinet got moved to the nursery. At about a month of age, they got moved to the crib.
My son got moved earlier though. He was over 10 lbs at birth, so he outgrew the bassinet very quickly..took about a week. But, the good thing about a bigger baby is that they sleep through the night sooner..so no need to get up middle of the night with him. He slept from 11pm until about 5am, at a week old!!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

DD slept in a bassinet in our room for about 4 months. She was a little peanut and probably could have fit in it longer had she not started to roll. We then moved her to the pack and play in our room. We were adding a room to our house so she slept in our room until she was six months old and then moved to the crib in her own room when it was completed.

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

Both of mine slept in a crib in the nursery.........and we had a baby monitor set up.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

All 3 of mine slept in their crib in the nursery right from the start and always. I exclusively nursed (and pumped when I was at work) all of them well past 1 year (and the 3rd to 18 months) but for me it was still better to go to the nursery to nurse than have a baby sleeping in bed with us or in our room. I am and have always been very OCD about sleep schedules and I believe it has helped them over time. They are phenomenal sleepers and I never have kids crawling in bed with me at night or waking all night for water/potty/whatever.

I agree with the others who say that you have to do what works for you.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
DaisyLynn
DIS Veteran

The first week, DH, baby and I all slept in the living room. We were in a whole new world, which we set up in there. Baby slept in her Rock 'N Play Sleeper right next to me on the couch, and DH was on the other end of the couch (large sectional). Then we transitioned into our room, with baby next to my side of the bed in her bassinet. This is where she slept until she was 3 months and too big for it. Now, at 4 months, she is sleeping in the playard at the foot of our bed.

She does have a nursery all set up with a crib and everything, but I'm not ready for her to sleep away from me all night. Actually, yesterday she had her first nap in her crib. My plan is to start her in there at night at 6 months. But that was also my plan at 2 months, then 3, then 4.

I think whatever feels right for you is what you should do. Congratulations! Babies are awesome!

DaisyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

For the first few days, not weeks, all 3 of mine slept on my chest in a recliner. It was just easier for them to snuggle and not startle themselves and wake up. After that i put them in their cribs. None of my kids ever slept in my bed, it is one place I would not allow them. Others do and that is fine for them, but I didn't want my kids in my bed. To this day they don't like anyone in their bed, it is their own private and personal space. My way worked well for us . If you don't mind kids in your bed it may be a good thing for you to co sleep, it just wasn't something that I ever wanted.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: