Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
50surgeries2012
Mouseketeer

If I Had The Chance To Do Disney World With A Power Wheelchair.....

I would do it all over again. Had such a great time driving around the parks in my power wheelchair when my husband and I went to Disney World last April with my best friend, and her mom. My husband has cerebral palsy, and limited sensory preception. What that means is that he doesn't always pay attention to where he's going, or what he is doing most of the time. And if he's pushing me in my manual wheelchair. He tends to run into people without swerving me to avoid hitting them.

The tricky part was having to keep up with my friends, and my husband. It was kind of crowded when we went in April because of the Food & Wine Festival, and I would always have to stop when someone, or a group of people would separate me from the rest of my group.

My best friend, her mom, and my husband would all have to stop and wait for me when they realized that I wasn't behind them. It wasn't hard during the day. But, at night it was trickier. Especially after watching the Main Street Electrical Parade. On the first night we went to the Magic Kingdom, and because we were staying at Old Key West. We got to stay later for the extra magic hours.

As we were heading towards the exit when it was time to leave. I got separated from my group. I didn't panic because I had my cell phone with me, and knew that they could get a hold of me if they needed to. It turned out that they had pulled over to the side to wait and see if I would catch up to them. I was finally able to locate them. But, with the crowds being so huge at night. It was pretty tricky trying to go through them to meet up with my husband, and our friends.

My best friend, and her mom are planning another trip to Disney World, and I'm hoping we can take my power chair again if my husband and I can go with them again. Especially since they're planning on staying at Old Key West again.
50surgeries2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for sharing.
Glad you had a good time.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Sounds like it was a good time.

Something I do to make my scooter stand out from the crowds and make it more visible to others around me, is I bring some sort of colored lights that I can easily turn off and on when needed. I try to put some on the front and back so I am seen each way. It has been very helpful. If your party carries a backpack or something like that, then maybe someone in your party could also put lights on them, so it is easier for you to find them or keep an eye on them in the crowds. Anything that helps set them apart from everyone else.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

I rented a powerchair for my honeymoon and it was perfect. I had one at home but my new one was not ready so I had to rent one. Best idea ever.m

Glad you had a good time.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Tink6666
Mouseketeer

I used one last march prior to having my knee replaced in June this year. I would use one again if I needed to as it allowed me to still enjoy Disney!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
50surgeries2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
Sounds like it was a good time.

Something I do to make my scooter stand out from the crowds and make it more visible to others around me, is I bring some sort of colored lights that I can easily turn off and on when needed. I try to put some on the front and back so I am seen each way. It has been very helpful. If your party carries a backpack or something like that, then maybe someone in your party could also put lights on them, so it is easier for you to find them or keep an eye on them in the crowds. Anything that helps set them apart from everyone else.
I have those lights that you'd put on the back of a bike that are solid, or you have them flash. I put one on of my legrests, and then one on the seat bar on the back of my power chair. This was all because I was heading out of Fred Meyer one night, and a car nearly ran into me. I was wearing visible clothing. But, because I sit so low in my power chair even though I am fairly tall in height. She still couldn't see me.

When my husband and I lived in our apartment building that was for seniors, and persons with disabilities. There was a woman there that I was friends with who had one of those vests that you see construction workers wear, draped over the back part seat of her scooter. I don't know where you'd find these types of vests. But, I'm hoping to get one for me. Although my mom doesn't want me going out at night anymore especially after she found out that there's a guy not far from where my husband and I live going into the dorm rooms of female college students on campus, and hurting them. The police haven't caught him yet. But, I hope that they do.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

You could also just get some reflective tape. It would do the same as one of those safety vests.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
50surgeries2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
You could also just get some reflective tape. It would do the same as one of those safety vests.
Thanks. I was just thinking of that just now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: