Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
babyberger
DIS Veteran

New wheat allergy, mostly QS?

DS9 has Asperger's so I plan our day pretty thoroughly, even though I know it can change on a whim. We had 5 ADR's for our upcoming trip in Feb (4 nts/5 days), but in light of a recent wheat allergy diagnosis for DS, we have canceled Via Napoli and Fulton's. This leaves me with 3 ADR's and relying on QS for the rest of our meals, which I know can be accommodated. I just feel like maybe I am shooting myself in the foot by doing this I know the GF food at QS can take longer and I will account for that, but are we truly better at more TS for gluten/wheat free?

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
disfan07
DIS Veteran

As far as I know, most QS places carry GF bread/buns
Some places also carry gluten free chicken tenders
As far as I know, the fries are gluten free.

I think given how common gluten free is these days, QS shouldn't be too much of an issue.

We are going down in 2 days and I am allergic to wheat, eggs, peanuts, treenuts, shellfish, coconut, sesame, oats and broccoli. We are eating at 3 QS in the parks plus at our resort (POP). I'm not overly concerned. We were there 2 years ago when I was allergic to eggs, peanuts and shellfish and they were great at the QS places (we had QS free dining).

Honestly, I think you should be okay. But there are more people on these boards with more experience with GF
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2013); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Old Key West; and Beach Club Villas; Pop Century (2010, 2012)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

You'll have no problem with QS or TS. Honest. Wheat free is easy at WDW.

Better off is relative. What's your definition of better off? Sure you'll have more options and more personalization at TS but the trade-off is that it takes a lot longer. I know that people with only one allergy don't take nearly as long as we do at TS locations but I always have to budget a full 2 hours for our TS meals and it's pretty rare that we're out in much less time than that. With the fact that we're already limited in how long we can be away from our resort (our 14yo is also an Aspie and she can only cope with so long away from the resort though at least that time's increasing as she gets older and learns coping strategies and matures) so an hour longer for dining means an hour less of park time. It's a trade-off. Some trips we purposely choose less TS meals so that we have more park time while other trips we focus more on dining and less on attractions. With only one allergy you likely only need to budget 1.5 hours, maybe even less though I'd plan for the full 1.5 hours for TS meals. For QS meals, it seems to take on average around 20 minutes for us to get our food once we talk to the manager (it takes that long to bake the fries and/or chicken tenders in places that don't have a dedicated allergy fryer which is most park QS) but that still means out of there in under an hour assuming we take our time eating which we typically don't at QS. Some can go even faster if we're not ordering something that would normally require frying (a burger with an allergy bun can be pretty quick for instance if we're getting it with fruit instead of fries). You just generally have to be sure to take your dining choices and budgetted time into consideration in your planning and you'll be fine with choosing either QS or TS meals.

My biggest suggestion is to make sure to be at the QS locations early. Yes it will still take longer than if you didn't have to deal with the allergy (they have to prepare his food fresh while food for everybody else has been partially cooked/prepped already) but it'll cut down on the crowds while waiting (huge when dealing with AS) and it means the only wait is for the food and you won't have the added wait of being in line before ordering and then waiting for a manager and allergy guide.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: