Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
Kae
DIS Veteran

My oldest sister got married young(16) she has been married 34 years. I was 12 when they got married. My little sisters husband I used to cut his hair before he dated my sister & we work together. We spent Thanksgiving with both my BIL's families. I could tell either one of them anything. DH's brother was one on my Best Friends until he married the wicked witch of the east, I can't stand her & now he drives me crazy.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

My SIL is one of my best friends... in fact, so is my MIL. I married into a great family.

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

DH has 3 younger brothers. The youngest is 18. They are all fine. The one that is closest to him (in age, just turned 23) is newly engaged to this girl who is a PITA. She wants to be married NOW because she wants to be pregnant (BAD)... I am not sure even why he's chosen to marry her, but we're staying far, far away.

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

My husband is an only child so that takes him out of the running.

I have two brothers and only one of them is in a relationship and lives in Florida. His fiance forced, in a very loving way, herself on me. She is a very friendly, outgoing person and I am very shy and introverted. I tend to be hard to crack with new friendships. If it weren't for her, we'd still be like strangers probably. They come and stay with us for a week every year and we talk on facebook and the phone all the time.

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
mrsstats
Sure sister's cat is as big as a mountain lion
Listens to AM every day

My brother's wife I know very well. She has been part of my family since I was 15. We shared a bedroom when she 1st married my brother and he was in the service. Now we vacation together once or twice a year, we all bowl together every week. We have dinner most Saturdays.

On my husband's side, not so much.
mrsstats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
txSleepingBeauty
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there before it got deleted.

I adore my one actual sister in law. I'm the only girl in my family, so it was nice to finally have a "sister." I've often told her that if she and my brother ever get divorced, I'm going with her. We hung out together a lot before the kids came along, now not quite as much.

My other "sister in law" (technically just my brother's on again/off again girlfriend, mother of my nephew) I cannot stand. We used to be friends, until she turned into a psychopath. We no longer speak to each other.
txSleepingBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

OP it sounds like all of you are ok with the current state of things; so if it's not broken you don't have to fix it. I have five SIL's. I am close to some; not at all to others and there are no hard feelings. We just have different interests. I also think like any relationship things change. I was not close to one SIL but when my mom (her MIL) got sick we had more of an opportunity to get to know each other. We still are not close but I appreciate her help with family matters. At least there is no drama, right??
Old 11-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #23
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered View Post
I just realized this Thanksgiving I have been with my DH for 12 years, married for 7 and honestly I barley know his 2 sisters. I can tell you a bit about each of them but I don't think I have ever gone out to lunch alone with them or shopped alone with them. They do live in different states, but any messages are always relayed by DH. I could tell you a little about my SIL's husband, like 2 things and they have been married 8 years.

Is this unusual? Am I mean/horrible? To be honest, neither party seems all that interested in getting to know the other..
I'd have to say I don't know mine all that well. I have 4 siblings in 4 different states, stretching from North Carolina to Washington state. We rarely get to see each other or do things together, so that doesn't lend itself to developing close relationships with our in-laws. Not that I'm all that upset about it. Two of my sisters are married to men that I can barely stand, so it's no loss to me that we never get to see each other.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #24
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I have known my late husband's brother since he was 12 years old (he is 58). He is like a brother to me. I know him very well. He has been married to his second wife for eight years. She and I get along very well, but I can't really say I know her well.

My sister has been married and divorced three times.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I hardly know my BIL's or their spouses. Although they live in another country, so that is a challenge. However, if I did live in that country we would probably know everything about each other seeing as they all live in one giant house together. I almost wish I could get to know them better, but not at the cost of living in the same place as all of them. LOL
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #26
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

I don't know them well and I'm fine with that. One of them is a major drama queen. Major. I try and keep totally out of her orbit. The others have zero interest in anything that isn't part of daily life. They can't make any small talk and have no interest in anything outside of their small town. Even though they've been to WDW multiple times, they won't even talk about that. So, since I'm not in their daily life, I am invisible to them. In fact, the last time we visited, they invited a horde of their small town friends over and never spoke to us the entire time we were visiting.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #27
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

I love my husband's family very much. They are all very nice people and there isn't "drama". Get togethers are always a good time.

But my husband is #5/6 and really isn't "close" to any of them. We all see each other 2 or 3 times a year but because of distance there has never been an opportunity for socializing just for fun.

I always wished I had the IL thing like some friends of mine have but on the flip side I also have friends that can't the speak the names of their inlaws.
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #28
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

One SIL is a nice woman. We talk about parties and how to plan the events, swap recipes and just joke around.

My other SIL can be a cow sometimes.She says some pretty mean things but I chalk it up to a lack of tact and not because she is outwardly trying to be mean but I wish she was less shrill in voicing her dislike to something.If you like something, automatically she doesn't...until one of her friends say they like the same thing and then she LOVES it.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #29
diznee25
DIS Veteran

OP, what a great topic. That's something I've always wondered as well.

DH and I have been married almost 9 years. Majority of those years, we always lived an hour away from SILs, and then eventually moved out of state. Now we live very close...maybe 10 minutes from my SIL's.

They were both in my wedding, and we always see them for major holidays/events. Even though we live just minutes away, I still don't see them that often.

Once in a blue moon we'll go shopping, or DH and I will babysit our nephews, but that's about it. Both SILs are married, and to bring that into topic, DH isn't close to BILs. He visits with them during family gatherings, but doesn't really have anything in common with them either.

diznee25
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #30
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

I don't know my dh's sisters too well. Three are in the area. ONe has never wanted to be involved with us. If we are at a party the only thing she will ask me is how are my folks. I don't even think she knows what I teach. ONe sister is having healthy problems and doesn't talk much. The youngest we were pretty close to while she was going to college but we don't see her much any more.

I don't get together with a my brother and 2 of my sisters. But I am pretty close to my twin sister and her family and my youngest sister. We all went to DW together in Aug.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: