Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
My2Pixies
Disney Dreamin'

iPhone without data?

I currently have an android phone that I really, really dislike. But, I am no longer locked into a plan so I opted to turn off data and just use my wifi at home or free hotspots for apps, which saves quite a deal of money. My phone has some issues though and I'm looking to upgrade. I would really like to get an older model iPhone, either 4 or 4s, but I need to know if I can continue to go data free and still have call and messaging ability without it.

I have T-Mobile, if it makes a difference. They don't carry iPhones officially but I understand as long as it is 'jailbroken' (or whatever the term is for it) the sim card will work fine.

Boardwalk Villas, Mar 2015
Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Aug 2012
My2Pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

At one time I had a jailbroken iphone on my TMobile account as a phone/text only, no data plan doing exactly what you describe. I worked just fine for the family member who had it at the time. It was on one of my $5 add a lines.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

im not too sure if T-mobile has the ability to detect smartphones. I know att can within minutes. I also read that if you have an older sim card, Tmobile wont be able to detect it. I guess its just trial and error with that one or someone else would know.

As for the iPhone, it doesnt require to be jailbroken, just unlocked. any att iPhone would work just fine(doesnt work with Sprint or Verizon). Are you planning on buying a used iPhone from craiglist or ebay? Be careful on it, make sure you test it out(craigslist) or him showing you with his sim card(if att) that it can call out just fine. If its advertised as unlock, bring your sim card to make sure it works. many people try to sell stolen iPhones which is blocked from apple so it turns them into expensive iPod essentially.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
My2Pixies
Disney Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
At one time I had a jailbroken iphone on my TMobile account as a phone/text only, no data plan doing exactly what you describe. I worked just fine for the family member who had it at the time. It was on one of my $5 add a lines.
Great, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albort View Post
im not too sure if T-mobile has the ability to detect smartphones. I know att can within minutes. I also read that if you have an older sim card, Tmobile wont be able to detect it. I guess its just trial and error with that one or someone else would know.

As for the iPhone, it doesnt require to be jailbroken, just unlocked. any att iPhone would work just fine(doesnt work with Sprint or Verizon). Are you planning on buying a used iPhone from craiglist or ebay? Be careful on it, make sure you test it out(craigslist) or him showing you with his sim card(if att) that it can call out just fine. If its advertised as unlock, bring your sim card to make sure it works. many people try to sell stolen iPhones which is blocked from apple so it turns them into expensive iPod essentially.
Thanks for the info, I haven't decided yet if I will buy used or straight from Apple. I need to do a little more research, I think.

Boardwalk Villas, Mar 2015
Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Aug 2012
My2Pixies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: