Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #76
SunshineTaradise
Earning My Ears

I too had heard the bad reviews but decided I wanted to try for myself on my trip with my 17 year old sister (who is kind of a food snob) in June. We both really enjoyed our meal. We both had chicken parmesan and thought it was really good as well as the service. I didn't tell my sister beforehand about the bad reviews and I was surprised how much she liked it. I didn't find it exceptional but I would eat at Tony's again. The one place we ate at that gets great reviews that we both did not enjoy AT ALL was Tokyo Dining. While the service was ok, we didn't like the food at all. We split the Bento box and everything in it didn't taste good. We both ended up with food poisoning as well. So I don't really pay attention to any reviews and decide for myself after trying it.
SunshineTaradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #77
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71 View Post
I also think there's a tendency of people to pile on though here on the DIS. Maybe they aren't all food snobs but they're just picky and easily swayed by the opinions of others. Meaning, it's the popular thing to say Tony's sucks.

I have never had a bad meal at WDW and this is in 10 trips. But, I also don't go to a seafood place and order the chicken. I ask the server what's good at any given place. At Tony's I got the lasagna. Sure, it wasn't as good as my aunt's but it was tasty. The server was prompt, and my sister scored a free dessert. It wasn't her birthday, so I'm thinking the server took a shine to her. It wasn't just a brownie either-it was a giant ice cream sundae!

All of the WDW restaurants have gotten a bad review here, even Le Cellier, which is apparently the Holy Grail of ADRs. I still say, try it once and don't depend on the opinions of other people.
Then why ask for an opinion? Seriously, not being snide.

Op asked is tony really that bad? and the majority of folks say yeah. Now I don't know if they are saying because it's popular to say it. Although I really can't figure out why anyone would do that. It's pretty simple to me, either you enjoyed the food or you didn't. I definitely would not say a good meal was bad just because everyone else did.

Anyhoo, op asked for opinions. Now like i said before I do take opinions with a grain of salt but my time is limited and I really hate bad meals so I do read reviews. If I read a hotel review and 90% of the reviews say the place has bed bugs and was dirty. there is a good chance I'd avoid it. Same with restaurants.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #78
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Exactly! I really cant see someone indicating a restaurant is bad just because everyone else said so. We are not in grade school.

I also do my homework and read reviews for both hotels and restaurants. As you mentioned, if the majority say the hotel/restaurant is bad, chances are im not going to go there. Granted, sometimes i have gone anyway because im curious. But i dont do that anymore because i always end up disappointed. Lol. It happened with tonys, ohana, and 1900 pf dinner to name a few. If the majority says its bad, I tend to believe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61

Then why ask for an opinion? Seriously, not being snide.

Op asked is tony really that bad? and the majority of folks say yeah. Now I don't know if they are saying because it's popular to say it. Although I really can't figure out why anyone would do that. It's pretty simple to me, either you enjoyed the food or you didn't. I definitely would not say a good meal was bad just because everyone else did.

Anyhoo, op asked for opinions. Now like i said before I do take opinions with a grain of salt but my time is limited and I really hate bad meals so I do read reviews. If I read a hotel review and 90% of the reviews say the place has bed bugs and was dirty. there is a good chance I'd avoid it. Same with restaurants.
Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #79
JoeyAnyc
Mouseketeer

I too look at what the forum members say about restaurants. I am thankful for the honest reviews. As mentioned, our time is limited. I want to make the most out of My Disney experience, including good food. I switched my ADRs for this trip having read through these discussions. Can't thank everyone enough for all of your help. XO

Dec 1 - 6, 2014 YC
[GF: Dec '04/Dec '06/Dec '07/Dec '08/Dec '09/Dec '10: YC: Dec '11/Dec '12/Dec '13]

JoeyAnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #80
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I think alot has to do with what you order. The last time my husband and I ate at Tony's he had a fantastic meal, whereas none of mine was barely edible. He had a delicious soup, one of the most tender and flavorful steaks we've ever gotton on property, and a cheesecake to die for. On the other hand, I ordered the zucchini fries which were so soggy and dripping grease that I couldn't eat them, some kind of nasty pasta dish, and a piece of lemon walnut cake that was so dry that it tasted like it was a week old. It just so happened that I made three really bad choices and he made three really good ones. I kept sneaking bites of his dishes. With each one, he'd finally offer to trade with me, but then would immediately grab his back, saying mine was nasty.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #81
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

As Goofy well knows

I give a place three chances to disappoint me befor I take it off my list. Tony's is one of three that received three strikes. Two others I have given another chance and been happy I did but the last time at Tony's the food was so horrible that I will never try it again...NEVER! It should not matter what you order at a restaurant...all the food should be good!

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #82
kimysbug
DIS Veteran

We love Toni's!!!!!!

I'm Italian from new York, and love it

Enough said
1999/2000-Board walk/Disney Wonder New Years Cruise Dec/Jan
2000- All Star Sports- September
2001- Port Orleans French Quarter- June
2003-Polynessian - October -MNSSHP
2005-Disney Vow Renewal Grand Floridian -July
2005- Pop Century- December MVMCP
2006- Wilderness Lodge-December- MVMCP
2007-Polynessian- 9/27-10/1- MNSSHP 9/28 W/ Momma Bear
2009 -Coranodo Spring-Surprise trip-Graduation trip-May
2011-Wilderness Lodge-December-MVMCP
kimysbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #83
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Our usual Disney trip group is pretty finicky and we love the food at Tony's. We try to get an ADR every time we go to WDW.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #84
Collette
Mouseketeer

We have only had dinner at Tony's twice. Once in 1999 and then again this October. I had read many reviews before our October trip. While I knew it mostly had mediocre to bad reviews, we wanted to return - a nostalgia thing from our very first trip, remembering the good food and dining experience.

So a couple of months ago, I would have said try it for yourself, that there will always be people who like a place and people who don't, etc. Now I would say that unless you are really set on having Italian food at MK, I would find another restaurant.

We won't be going back. We aren't picky eaters, like Olive Garden and aren't hard to please. This time it was painful to pay the $80 bill for three meals and one appetizer.
Collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #85
DDM101
Mouseketeer

I have enjoyed my last two visits to Tony's and so have my tablemates. The food was good, and the service was top-notch. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anybody with diverse tastes.
DDM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #86
minniebride
DIS Veteran

We had dinner at Tony's a few years ago. We did not choose to eat there, per say. We had planned a last minute trip and were able to grab an ADR.

I actually quite enjoyed it. I love Lady & the Tramp as well & I thought the restaurants was really pretty. Service was great and I enjoyed the food. It was not the best meal I ever had, but I remember it positively, and I would eat there again.
minniebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #87
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
I think alot has to do with what you order. The last time my husband and I ate at Tony's he had a fantastic meal, whereas none of mine was barely edible. He had a delicious soup, one of the most tender and flavorful steaks we've ever gotton on property, and a cheesecake to die for. On the other hand, I ordered the zucchini fries which were so soggy and dripping grease that I couldn't eat them, some kind of nasty pasta dish, and a piece of lemon walnut cake that was so dry that it tasted like it was a week old. It just so happened that I made three really bad choices and he made three really good ones. I kept sneaking bites of his dishes. With each one, he'd finally offer to trade with me, but then would immediately grab his back, saying mine was nasty.
Same thing happened to us.....I had the chicken parm and enjoyed it, DH got the steak and did not. we both ordered and liked the pistachio creme brulee tho

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #88
mom2princesses2
DIS Veteran

We tried it last trip and liked it enough to go again next trip.
Disneyland ~ July 2013/ Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room) ~ Feb. 2013 (DD's 5th & my 41st Birthdays) / Coronado Springs Resort ~ Nov. 2011 (DH's 43rd Birthday & MVMCP)/ Wilderness Lodge ~ Sept. 2010 (DD's 8th Birthday & MNSSHP) / Pop Century ~ Dec. 2006 (10th Wedding Anniversary & MVMCP) / Dixie Landings ~ Oct. 2000 (MNSSHP) / Dixie Landings ~ May 1994 / Non-property WDW visits ~ 1980 & 1985
mom2princesses2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #89
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

We tried Tony's a few yrs ago... Maybe 5+. It was mediocre, and in light of other better options, we've never given it another try. There seem to be a lot of supporters here. Has it changed a lot in recent yrs? Does anyone who used to feel the same now like Tony's?

Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #90
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
We tried Tony's a few yrs ago... Maybe 5+. It was mediocre, and in light of other better options, we've never given it another try. There seem to be a lot of supporters here. Has it changed a lot in recent yrs? Does anyone who used to feel the same now like Tony's?
Again I think it depends on what you order. I've had two very good meals there and one I couldn't eat. However, that same meal that I couldn't eat, my husband's three courses were wonderful. So it just depends.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: