Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #31
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Saturday – November 3rd (Dessert)

Upon leaving, I REALLY wanted the Napoleon from France. We walked straight there and guess what? The guy in front of me ordered the LAST 2 they had! Who in the world needs TWO?!?! I am embarrassed to say that I may have been disproportionately angry about this. I didn’t say anything to the guy or the bakery staff because it wasn’t their fault. But I had been so looking forward to it and I wasn’t sure when I could get it again! It still kind of irritates me. How silly.

Anyway, I sulked out and told my very tipsy husband. He felt really bad and asked what else I might want. He suggested School Bread but that was all the way in Norway and I didn't think we'd make it in time. That would make more MORE mad. I wasn’t sure of a good replacement though. We still had a little time until Illuminations so we walked toward America to find a spot. I remembered the Funnel Cake Kiosk served Pumpkin Spice Funnel Cakes and decided I’d settle for this. I know I sound like a spoiled brat but I had been looking forward to the Napoleon for months.

I got in line and debated during my wait whether to get the pumpkin spice or plain funnel cake. And whether to get ice cream or not. In the end, I did get the Pumpkin Spice but no ice cream. It was very fresh and warm. And although not what I had dreamt about for months (I know I need to get over this), it was VERY tasty. Luckily, Brian liked it too and we shared. I still think we had to throw about half of it away though because it was enormous!

We watched Illuminations while we munched on our funnel cake. I could watch that show every single night and be one happy girl!

Up next: Breakfast at Old Port Royale

1984 - 2002 Many visits with family (off site) * May 2005 Girls' Trip - POP Century * March 2008 Honeymoon - All Star Movies * May 2010 - Contemporary Resort (Trip Report) * December 2010 - POP Century * October 2011 - Contemporary Resort & Universal Studios (WWOHP!) * November 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Dining Report) * March 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort * May 2014 - Boardwalk Inn & Contemporary Theme Park View * July 2014 - Grand Floridian Girls Trip!!!!**
sbprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #32
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Two of my favorite things, the Boardwalk and Bethenny! I wanted to see her so bad!
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #33
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Two of my favorite things, the Boardwalk and Bethenny! I wanted to see her so bad!
Come to think of it...those are two of my favorite things now too! I wish you had the chance to see her though because she did a great job!

1984 - 2002 Many visits with family (off site) * May 2005 Girls' Trip - POP Century * March 2008 Honeymoon - All Star Movies * May 2010 - Contemporary Resort (Trip Report) * December 2010 - POP Century * October 2011 - Contemporary Resort & Universal Studios (WWOHP!) * November 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Dining Report) * March 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort * May 2014 - Boardwalk Inn & Contemporary Theme Park View * July 2014 - Grand Floridian Girls Trip!!!!**
Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #34
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Sunday – November 4th (Breakfast)

For breakfast we headed over to our resort Quick Service spot, Old Port Royale. I decided to get the seasonal omelet that had ham and cheese with avocado on the top. The choices for a side were breakfast potatoes or a biscuit. I really didn’t want either and asked if I could substitute bacon or sausage. The lady was not very nice when she told me no.

The omelet was actually really good! I love avocado but don't eat it on eggs very often. The portion was very large too. I ate a bite or two of the potatoes and they were tasty but a little salty.

Brian also got a ham and cheese omelet but no avocado. He enjoyed his too. And not surprisingly, he decided to get a cheese Danish. This is #2 so far...

We used our refillable mugs for coffee. Blech! I did however come up with a concoction that was tolerable for me. I don’t think I’ve mentioned that we brought single serve coffee creamers with us. Brian is hooked on International Delight’s Caramel Macchiato flavor. I tend to switch between different ones but I brought the Almond Joy flavor for myself. Brian always went with straight coffee with a few sugars and 2 creamers. He didn’t love it but it was decent for him. My recipe was about 1/3 of my mug full of hot chocolate and the rest with coffee. Then one of my creamers. This didn’t hold a candle to the French press at Kouzzina, but it was palatable!

Up Next: Lunch at my favorite Quick Service – Earl of Sandwich!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #35
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your reviews, looking forward to more!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ; Sept/Oct '15-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #36
annabug
DIS Veteran

Love your reviews!! You guys are so Cute!!

I am considering booking our next trip during food and wine......I have 2 little kids tho, not sure how much we would be able to indulge in all the yummy snacks!

(me) (DH) (DD) (DS)
annabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #37
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

continuing to enjoy your reviews ... possibly the comments about fellow travelers as much as the food

Glad that Brian found a sake he liked

Oh, just a quick note/opinion about Skinny Girl wines - I totally don't think they are worth it. I think the cocktails are a really good product but the wines just aren't as good as even an average "regular" wine and the calorie difference isn't that much ... I mean, unless you are planning on having a ton of wine, then maybe it makes a difference

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #38
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB1228 View Post
Enjoying your reviews, looking forward to more!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabug View Post
Love your reviews!! You guys are so Cute!!

I am considering booking our next trip during food and wine......I have 2 little kids tho, not sure how much we would be able to indulge in all the yummy snacks!
Thank you! I highly recommend F&W! Even if you can't experience everything with the kids, it's not like you have to pay extra to get into Epcot just for F&W. Personally, I would try to go later (around the end of October/early November) to enjoy better weather, hopefully. Our first time it was still quite warm during the day. Trying to eat hot food in the heat was kinda tough. Just not as enjoyable. That being said, if you could only go early on, I would still do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
continuing to enjoy your reviews ... possibly the comments about fellow travelers as much as the food

Glad that Brian found a sake he liked

Oh, just a quick note/opinion about Skinny Girl wines - I totally don't think they are worth it. I think the cocktails are a really good product but the wines just aren't as good as even an average "regular" wine and the calorie difference isn't that much ... I mean, unless you are planning on having a ton of wine, then maybe it makes a difference
Thanks for the tip about the wine! I may not try so hard to seek it out then. I do remember her saying in her presentation that she didn't want to make the wine complicated. So they're simply called "White", "Blush", and "Red"...I think. I wonder if her attempt at mass-appeal is why they're just so-so?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #39
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Sunday  November 4th (Lunch)

After spending the morning in DHS, we went over to Earl of Sandwich for lunch! EOS is definitely one of my favorite QS locations. It may not be the best use of a QS credit, but the sandwiches are so yummy!! Ive never been disappointed with my choice. The line is usually long but it does move pretty fast. I just hate how people clamor at the counter waiting on their order and the drink station is a little every-man-for-himself too. But its worth it!

One day I really need to try a salad or wrap for comparisons sake. I did try a new sandwich this time though! I ordered the Caribbean Jerk Chicken - grilled chicken, roasted red and banana peppers with a spicy jerk sauce. It was very good. I adore roasted red peppers so I was pretty sure that I would love this. Highly recommend.

Their bread is just so good. Crusty and warm and it holds up very well to the overall makeup. There also isnt TOO much bread, ya know? I might should also say here that I despise Subway. Ive never been impressed. All of their bread tastes the same. They only give you 2-3 slices of nasty deli meat. Their lettuce is iceberg&blech! And, they charge you $5+ for a sandwich I could make 1000 times better at home. So if youve never been and think EOS is just a slightly better version of Subway, you are highly mistaken, my friend.

Brian ordered their BLT - smoked bacon, lettuce, Roma tomatoes and seasoned mayonnaise. I could have sworn that the last time he got this he said it was just okay. But he remembered it differently and said he loved it. So&whichever was the case before, he really liked his choice this time. I stole a bite (of course ) and did think it was very good.

At EOS, if you use a dining credit, you get the sandwich, a drink, and then the choice of a side OR dessert  not both. So we got a chocolate chip cookie to share and a bag of chips to share. I didnt get a picture of the chips but theyre kettle style, I think. Brian loved them. I honestly dont remember the cookie but Im sure it was fine.

Another very successful meal at the Earl! We stuck around Downtown Disney for a while longer then headed back to DHS to watch Fantasmic! It had been since our Honeymoon in 2008 that we had seen this show. I had forgotten how good it is!

Up Next: Dinner at Kouzzina&did we like it as much as breakfast??

Last edited by sbprincess; 02-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #40
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Sunday  November 4th (Dinner)

After Fantasmic!, we drove back over to our beloved Boardwalk to try out dinner at Kouzzina. I purposely planned to have breakfast at Kouzzina first because I thought the risk of Brian not liking breakfast was less. I figured that if breakfast was a success, he would be more willing to try dinner. And I had heard almost all good about breakfast; dinner was a different story  but I didnt tell Brian that until AFTER we ate dinner. Wanna know what we thought?!

I wont keep you in suspense long. We really enjoyed dinner! Kouzzina isnt our new favorite dinner, but I definitely want to go again on our next trip. I love Greek food. Heck, who am I kidding  youve probably deduced by now that Im pretty fond of all food! But I love olives, feta cheese, baklava, dill, cinnamon, hummus, etc. I was so excited about this meal. But also nervous because Brian can pretty much take or leave all of the flavors I just mentioned.

We didnt have to wait too long for a table. It was very chilly outside this night so we were just happy to get out of the cold. I do remember my NY Giants had just played an embarrassing game against the Steelers. I had on my Giants shirt and was kind of glad when we were sat in a corner so I could avoid any comments from the opposition! Just a side note  Brian and I are very into football (NFL, not college). Hes a huge 49ers fan (for today only, Super Bowl Sunday, I will say GO 49ers!!!). It was kind of cool to see so many people in their team apparel as we were at the parks on this day. We had a nice conversation earlier in the day with a couple from NY who also pull for the Giants. Disney and football&what could be better?!?!

Anyway, back to Kouzzina  this is one meal I wish I had taken better notes. (Please excuse my lack of detail in the descriptions below. ) For our drinks, our server let us order two things from the non-alcoholic specialty section that The Wave server said werent part of the dining plan. Goes to show you that sometimes stuff like this depends on the restaurant/server. Anyway, Brian had some sort of special pink lemonade that he really liked. I had a coconut water type drink and it was good too. Not sure it went with my dinner, but at least I got to try it! She did let me switch to Diet Coke after my first glass, which was also nice.

As is kind of standard, there was a bread basket brought to the table, along with two different kinds of olive oil. This is also where I wish I had notes. I remember I liked one of the oils better and Brian liked the other. Brian didnt touch the olives but I thought they were great!

For our entrees, I ordered the Kouzzina Trio - Tasting size portions of Greek-style Lasagna (with Bucatini Pasta, Cinnamon-stewed Meat Sauce, and Béchamel), Char-grilled Lamb Burger, and Cinnamon-stewed Chicken with Orzo.

Brian ordered just the lasagna. I was afraid he wouldnt like the cinnamon element and tried to warn him. He isnt a huge fan of cinnamon, even in sweets, but he insisted he wanted to try it. Here is a picture of the full portion:

First, we both loved the lasagna! I had figured I would but Brian did too. The only thing I would change about mine was that the béchamel was slightly lukewarm. But the flavors were great. I believe Brian ate every last bite of his.

The lamb burger was quite interesting. The dill sauce was very good. The burger itself was actually spicy, which I wasnt quite expecting, but did enjoy. Brian did not like the bite he tried of this.

The chicken was just okay. It wasnt bad. But it just didnt wow me. Im glad I got to try it but if I had ordered the full version of this, I would have been very disappointed. I could have eaten another lasagna portion and been perfectly happy!

For dessert, Brian went with the Chocolate Budino Cake - Warm Molten Chocolate with Whipped Sweet Cream. I tried to talk him into the Galaktoboureko - Semolina Custard in Baked Phyllo Dough and Vanilla-Praline Gelato or Loukoumades - Freshly Made Greek Doughnuts drizzled with Warm Honey because those appealed to me more . No dice. He wanted the chocolate cake. In the picture, I think that was a raspberry sorbet. This was not my style but he enjoyed it.

I was torn between the two I mentioned above (since my husband wouldnt comply! ) and the baklava. Obviously, I chose the baklava. It came with pistachio gelato. Oh man, this was just perfect. I was very happy with my choice!

I want to say I also got a cup of coffee (just a single cup, not pressed), but I dont have a picture so I may be making that up. Anyway, as you can see, we really really enjoyed our dinner. If it hadnt been so cold outside we may have stayed at the Boardwalk until they threw us out. But were not made for cold weather so we didnt stick around too long.

Up Next: Breakfast #2 at Kouzzina&werent we just here???

Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #41
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Monday  November 5th (Breakfast)

As I just said, we should have just stayed at the Boardwalk because Monday morning we drove right back over to have our second breakfast at Kouzzina! I just brought my Point & Shoot camera today so please excuse the pictures&

We once again ordered the French Press pot of coffee (and another later in the meal!). Picture is from visit #1:

For my entrée, I almost repeated my first meal. But remember how I said I had wanted to try the mascarpone spread? Well, this time I asked if they could leave the dill spread off the eggs, sub in the mascarpone spread on the side, and exchange wheat toast for the olive toast. I felt very When-Harry-Met-Sally, but they were happy to fill my request! They accidentally gave me the olive toast at first, but brought the wheat shortly after. Oh, and I got bacon instead of sausage.

THIS was perfect!!! Exactly what I wanted. The hash was just as good as before, along with the poached eggs. The mascarpone spread was slightly sweet and buttery and paired with the wheat toast  fantastic! The bacon was quite yummy too. I did try the mascarpone on the olive bread just to see&yuck! I dont recommend this!

Brian almost ordered the same thing I did. Then he backed out and went with the French toast. (Same picture as before.)

But he also ordered a side of the hash. This was huge! I cant remember if he ate all of this or not. He loved it.

Brian half-joked as we were leaving that we needed to make a third trip to Kouzzina for breakfast. But I had other plans the rest of our trip, so sadly, it just didnt fit. He also begged me to see if we could switch the rest of our stay to the Boardwalk. THAT was seriously tempting. We walked around, discussed it, and enjoyed our surroundings.

We ended up saying that wed continue to think about it the rest of the day and revisit it later. It sure was an appealing thought!

Up next: AMC Movie Snacks and Dinner at Via Napoli

Last edited by sbprincess; 02-03-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #42
francis6306
DIS Veteran

We loved the Boardwalk too!! Maybe we can hit the Lottery in the next year and half and we can all go stay at the BWI in a 2 bedroom villa next May!! Wouldn't that be the BEST?!!?!!

I'm so glad that you guys enjoyed Kouzzina!! I really want to try that place!!!!!! Oh and I had Bakavala (however you spell it!) at the Morocco place and it was REALLY good there too!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #43
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

I don't know how I just saw your report now, but I'm here and can't wait to read more. I only had a chance to read the first few posts and will have to come back later to read the rest! I am really excited. A lot of your fav foods are things that I love to eat too (mushrooms, avocado etc), so I can't wait! Great job so far.
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #44
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
We loved the Boardwalk too!! Maybe we can hit the Lottery in the next year and half and we can all go stay at the BWI in a 2 bedroom villa next May!! Wouldn't that be the BEST?!!?!!

I'm so glad that you guys enjoyed Kouzzina!! I really want to try that place!!!!!! Oh and I had Bakavala (however you spell it!) at the Morocco place and it was REALLY good there too!
It can be a graduation trip for Brian!!! And maybe a job hunting trip too That would be amazing!

I had the baklava from the Morocco F&W stand and it was good there too. I'm not really an expert on baklava but I love it. I wonder if there's a difference between Greek and Moroccan?

I need to go catch up on your TR now too since you've updated recently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan123 View Post
I don't know how I just saw your report now, but I'm here and can't wait to read more. I only had a chance to read the first few posts and will have to come back later to read the rest! I am really excited. A lot of your fav foods are things that I love to eat too (mushrooms, avocado etc), so I can't wait! Great job so far.
Well, I haven't been all that consistent with my updates until more recently BUT - I've been much better lately! I was being lazy for a number of reasons but I have my motivation back. I am glad you're here NOW!

Hopefully I'm going to mention something you'll be interested in since we have a similar palate. I see you have a DR in your signature...I may need to check that out!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #45
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

You will love the Boardwalk even more if you have dinner at Flying Fish. We love everything about our home resort, so glad y'all love it too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: