Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
Lauralooneyfordisney
DIS Veteran

Awesome so far. Chiming in.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Hmm… you know, I'm not a beer fan either, but now I'm interested in the one you tried!

I can't wait to try Le Cellier one day! I have noticed a lot of places are offering pretzel bread as an appetizer lately- even Chili's! I'm sure that you and I would have been fighting over the butter! It's the Georgia blood in our veins!

We need to be better about encouraging each other to update more often!!! It's not like you have started a new job or I have been dealing with Family Drama lately! We've GOT to get our priorities straight!!!
I can't wait FOR YOU to try Le Cellier! I wish we were still doing our girls trip this year. It makes me so sad to think that we aren't. I would have made sure it was on our list.

I need to catch up on your report. I've just been sad to think that we have no trip any time in the future. But the Disney fever is returning - trip or no trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad4dis View Post
Looks great!
Thanks and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
great start to your review - loving the pictures

Just a note that Ice Wine tends to be expensive and tends to be served in much smaller amounts than regular wine. It is a dessert wine and is to be sipped.

I definitely can see being frustrated by the serving size, but proportionally to a regular wine it is probably the right amount

Bottles of Ice Wine are 1/2 the amount of normal wine bottles and cost as much or more than a standard bottle of wine.

Oh, and I am right there with Brian in that I really wanted to like Sake, but just haven't really gotten into it
Hi and welcome! Thanks for the tip on the ice wine! My exposure to it is obviously very limited. I have yet to look for it here at home but I still plan to.

Brian actually finds some in the future that he likes...look for it soon (promise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauralooneyfordisney View Post
Awesome so far. Chiming in.
Thanks!

Okay everyone - I know I don't have many commenters. Which is fine. I'm not the best example of that either. I'm sure I have some lurkers out there. I WILL be better about updating from here until I finish though. #1 - I started a new job in December. And don't you know it, most of my day now consists of actual work! It's a little frustrating honestly! And the bigger reason, #2 - I've been kind of sad about not having a future trip planned. My DH just went back to school full-time and is therefore not working full-time. So our finances are considerably tighter. I know it will be worth it when he finishes so I'm not complaining. Vacations of any kind are on hold for now though. ANYWAY - enough excuses. Update coming soon...

1984 - 2002 Many visits with family (off site) * May 2005 Girls' Trip - POP Century * March 2008 Honeymoon - All Star Movies * May 2010 - Contemporary Resort (Trip Report) * December 2010 - POP Century * October 2011 - Contemporary Resort & Universal Studios (WWOHP!) * November 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Dining Report) * March 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort * May 2014 - Boardwalk Inn & Contemporary Theme Park View * July 2014 - Grand Floridian Girls Trip!!!!**
sbprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #18
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Friday – November 2nd

Our first stop on Friday morning upon entering Magic Kingdom was a tried and true favorite – Main Street Bakery!

This is almost always our first breakfast on any trip. Since MK is usually our first full-day park, it just works out that way. I read about the gigantic cinnamon roll almost 3 years ago and have had it on every trip since! It’s only been disappointing one time. I got the last one on the tray and it was room temperature…not good. This time I was happy to see it was somewhere in the middle. One year we were the first ones to the bakery for the day. I got the very first roll off the tray and it was divine! I also ask for extra icing, which they’re always very nice about.

Is your mouth watering like mine? I don't even want to think about the amount of calories and sugar I consumed in that 20 minute sitting! I'm sure if I knew...nah, I would have eaten it anyway! Just with even more guilt!

Brian usually goes for the cheese danish. It’s funny – he never has these at home. But you’ll see they’re his choice several more times as the trip goes on.

We took our delicious treats and went to our favorite spot. There is a path beside the bakery with a few tables that not many people seem to use. If you’re facing the entrance to MSB, it’s to the right. And if you’ve ever been on the Keys to the Kingdom tour, it’s one of the first stops, I think. This morning there was actually a tour group just finishing up in the area so we got to hear just a little from their guide! Speaking of that tour, if you’ve never done it, I would highly recommend it. We learned quite a lot and the price wasn’t bad either.

Both of our pastries were wonderful! I think I ate maybe ¾ of the cinnamon roll before calling it quits. Brian finished it for me though. He never seems to mind that the cheese danish isn’t warm. I think it would be better warmed myself. Yummy nonetheless!

Next up, Pecos Bill’s!

1984 - 2002 Many visits with family (off site) * May 2005 Girls' Trip - POP Century * March 2008 Honeymoon - All Star Movies * May 2010 - Contemporary Resort (Trip Report) * December 2010 - POP Century * October 2011 - Contemporary Resort & Universal Studios (WWOHP!) * November 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Dining Report) * March 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort * May 2014 - Boardwalk Inn & Contemporary Theme Park View * July 2014 - Grand Floridian Girls Trip!!!!**
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
francis6306
DIS Veteran

YAY!!! You have returned!!!! My friend!!!!!

I finally got to taste that heavenly treat in November, and it was amazing!! I'll be interested to see how the new Starbucks/MSB goes in the coming months…

I know. I wish we were still on for a girl's trip, but in the end, I'm sure this is for the best. You know I understand a fulltime student hubby!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Friday – November 2nd

Lunch today was also a repeat, but a good one! Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn & Café is pretty consistent for us. We also like Columbia Harbor House. But today felt like a Pecos Bill day. We had spent the morning in Fantasyland, Adventureland, and Frontierland. I doubt we were very hungry. But that isn’t always the point, is it?

We were only a couple of days into the vacation and I was already feeling my lack of vegetables though. I decided to get a taco salad so that I could load it with some veggies. Granted, not a “healthy” choice, but I thought it was a good compromise and would provide some fresh-er food but still be tasty! I’m not an iceberg lettuce fan, but I think I put every other vegetable on the bar in my bowl – along with a good helping of cheese and sour cream too! If I could have microwaved this somehow, it would have pushed it to excellent. For what it was though, I was satisfied. You can’t see everything but I put in salsa, banana peppers, sautéed onions, mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, and the aforementioned cheese and sour cream. The ground beef was flavorful and the bowl wasn’t stale! I got a water as my drink and a yogurt as my dessert. I didn’t want a dessert from here but I thought Brian might eat it and of course, it's part of the QS credit. I’m pretty sure he did not eat it. Oh well.

Brian chose the BBQ Pork Sandwich with fries. He’s had this before and enjoyed it just as much this time around. I see from my picture he also got a yogurt for his dessert. But I don’t think he ate either one.

One reason I didn’t want my dessert from here is that I was anticipating a different treat. Aloha Isle was calling my name…up next!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Friday – November 2nd (Snack)

So according to the clock on my camera, we pretty much went straight from Pecos Bill to Aloha Isle. I love the Pineapple Dole Whip Floats so much! I’m a huge pineapple fan and I also love ice cream. My favorite thing to do is take a spoonful of the soft serve part and dip that down into the pineapple juice so there is some juice in the spoon too, but not too much. Yes, I have devised such a method for eating my treat…don’t judge. Brian shared a few bites of this but it was mainly mine! He isn’t nearly as big of a fan as I am. Being the wonderful sister that I am, I also sent a picture to my older sister to taunt her. She loves these too so I thought it only loving to remind her that she couldn’t have it right then!

Up next: Dinner at The Wave!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Love your reviews so far! Le Cellier looks amazing!!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Friday – November 2nd (Dinner)

Since we were going to MNSSHP (first time!!), we made a very early dinner ADR at The Wave. We had been in MK all day so we just walked over to The Contemporary a few minutes before our reservation. We have stayed at the CR twice (it WAS our favorite deluxe…hint, hint) but we’ve never eaten here. I was excited to try something new and was feeling very nostalgic about our past stays. There were one or two other families waiting when we gave our names to the hostess. The restaurant hadn’t quite opened yet (I think our ADR was for 5:00) but it only took a few minutes for us to be seated.

Empty restaurant – but not for long!

As you enter the dining room, there is a booth/chair combo row set up almost right behind the host station. That is where we sat, alone for the moment.

Not sure why I took this photo. Maybe to illustrate the size of the table…or the décor…hmmm, not sure.

I think I mentioned in my Le Cellier review that I’m a really big cider fan. So I ordered this for my drink:

It was slightly sweet and I enjoyed it a lot. I know you can buy these in the grocery at home. What can I say? I just wanted something I knew I would like.

Brian went the same route. His favorite drink anywhere is a Long Island Iced Tea and that’s exactly what he got. He enjoyed this a lot too.

Our server brought us the complimentary bread and butter, which was good.

For his entrée, Brian ordered the “Today’s Grilled Sustainable Fish”. It was grouper on a bed of corn, edamame, asparagus, tomatoes and a very flavorful broth. That’s spinach on top. He loved this!

I ordered the "Today's Sauteed Sustainable Fish", which was swordfish. I’m not picky about seafood so although I hadn’t had this before, I wasn’t worried about whether I would like it. I hadn’t ordered it before because of its mercury content. But I figured once on vacation wouldn’t poison me too much. I was very happy with this dish! Underneath was a corn “relish” and on top were sautéed mushrooms. I was a little worried about the three together and whether they would work well or not. I was pleasantly surprised. It definitely wasn’t my favorite meal of the trip, but it was very good overall.

Now, for dessert, I went with the no sugar added option simply because the three choices sounded good to me. They were (left to right) Fall Spice Cake with Apple-cranberry compote, Vanilla Bean Crème Brulée, and Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse with Raspberry (I don’t like raspberry with chocolate so I asked for it without the raspberry). I expected the spice cake to be my favorite. It might have been except the cake had been either frozen or refrigerated and it was stale - yuck! Not being the biggest chocolate fan, this part was okay but a tad bitter. The Crème Brulee…OMG. I could have had three servings of this and been completely happy! I believe you can ask for double/triple portions of the samplers if you know of one you don't want. This is what I would do if I could time travel. Well, no, that isn't true. If I could time travel...wait, I'm getting off topic. You know what I mean!

Brian went with the American Flavors - Mississippi mud pie, Chocolate ganache-dipped banana mousse cake, and apple-almond crumb cake with spiced cream. He enjoyed this. None were to-die-for though.

We were on the dining plan but I did take a picture of the receipt (not a regular achievement unfortunately ). I can tell you the total for alcohol, entrees, and desserts was $89 before tip. Not terrible, especially by Disney standards. I would return in the future. This was probably our least favorite Table Service of the trip though. There was nothing “wrong”. It just didn’t amaze us. But I wouldn’t shy away from it. It was a solid meal and the service was pretty good too.

Up next: our FAVORITE breakfast…ever!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to drop in and say "Hi, I'm reading!" You're doing a great job so far! My family has that same meh feeling about The Wave! I also understand how hard it is to come back to The DIS regularly when there's no trip planned.

Looking forward to more!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #25
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Jumping on board!!! Great Report so far, waiting for more!!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #26
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Love your reviews so far! Le Cellier looks amazing!!
Thanks! Sorry I missed you earlier. Le Cellier is AMAZING! I know it has its haters. I am NOT one of them. Thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
Just wanted to drop in and say "Hi, I'm reading!" You're doing a great job so far! My family has that same meh feeling about The Wave! I also understand how hard it is to come back to The DIS regularly when there's no trip planned.

Looking forward to more!
Hello! Thanks for commenting I wanted to like The Wave more. I had read a lot of good reviews so I was excited to go. It's not to say we wouldn't try it again. But like you said, it was just...meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesswindsor View Post
Jumping on board!!! Great Report so far, waiting for more!!
Welcome and thanks! I FINALLY got all of my pics resized and loaded onto Photobucket. I'm hoping to crank out the rest in the next few weeks!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Saturday – November 3rd (Breakfast)

In anticipation of staying out late the night before at the Halloween party, I had made our breakfast ADR this morning kind of late. We headed out around 8:30 for our 9:00 reservation at Kouzzina on The Boardwalk. This was our first time visiting any of the Epcot resorts so I was excited! The guards were quite thorough in making sure we did have an ADR that morning. I’m not sure what they would have said if we were going to try a walk-up though…? After parking in the designated lot, we made our way into the lobby and found someone to give us directions since we had no idea where to go. Let me just say, almost immediately, we were absolutely head-over-heels in LOVE with The Boardwalk Inn!

We walked down the stairs at the backside of the lobby and headed toward the right to find Kouzzina!

I loved this light fixture!

Inside the doors, waiting to be seated.

Right away, we ordered a French press of coffee. The title says it serves 2, which would be about right for two normal coffee drinkers, I suppose. They didn’t know who they were dealing with here though! This was the first of two for us!

We had never actually had coffee from a French press before. We don’t go out for breakfast often so we’d just never had the chance. We were converts from sip one. Brian bought me one as a “Christmas” gift almost as soon as we got home. He gave it to me shortly after Thanksgiving saying he just couldn’t wait. I wish we had time to use it during the week. But it does get PLENTY of use every weekend. Anyway, back to Kouzzina…

Brian ordered almost exactly what I had thought he would. The Country French Toast - Grilled Fig and Anise country bread with apple-fig compote your choice of Bacon or Chicken Sausage. He chose bacon. I’m honestly not picky with bacon. I just don’t get what people hate about Disney bacon. I have heard others say Kouzzina’s is different from the dreaded “Disney bacon”. I agree that it was excellent and I could tell a difference. But just know, I’m not a bacon snob to begin with! Brian loved every aspect of his dish!

I was a little torn with my choice, on the other hand. I really wanted to try the waffle with the Mascarpone spread because I’m obsessed with Mascarpone cheese. But when I told Brian my thoughts he convinced me that I was insane for choosing something sweet because he knows sweet breakfasts aren’t my thing. So I went with my gut (and husband) and ordered the Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast - Two Poached Eggs, Kalamata Olive Toast, Artichoke Spread, and Sweet Potato Hash with choice of Bacon or Chicken Sausage (I chose the chicken sausage, obviously). I, too, loved my breakfast. The hash was amazing! Brian tried a bite and loved it. The artichoke spread was interesting. It had a strong dill flavor. I didn’t care for that with my eggs so I scraped it onto the toast instead. Honestly, the toast was my least favorite part. I still enjoyed it, but not as much as the rest. I know this is probably weird, but I love eggs. They’re probably one of my favorite foods. Hard boiled eggs don’t do much for me. But I could eat poached or scrambled eggs every morning the rest of my life and be 100% happy. The runnier the yolk the better too. I’m sure most of you think that’s disgusting. Most of my family and friends do so I apologize for putting that image in your head…but it’s true. ANYWAY – the poached eggs were perfection when coupled with the hash.

Again, we were both so happy with this breakfast. As soon as we walked out, Brian asked what day we could come back! As we walked to the car I started looking at our plans. Before we had pulled into Epcot’s lot, I had already made another breakfast ADR for later in the trip.

Up next: Skinny Girl Seminar with Bethenny Frankel

Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Saturday – November 3rd (F&W Seminar with Bethenny Frankel)

We had decided to drive from The Boardwalk to the Epcot lot because the seminar with Bethenny Frankel was supposed to be in the Welcome Center. Brian said he wasn’t really interested in attending this with me so he headed towards Innovations (I think?) and said he’d call me later. I went to the Welcome Center and made a quick lap around the inside. When I didn’t see any signs for the demonstration, I asked where it was being held. The guy told me it had been moved to the theater in America (America Garden Theater is the name coming to mind but I may be making that up…I can’t remember the name right now!). So I called Brian and told him. The WHOLE reason we had moved the car was because I had thought it was in Future World. Whatever, we still had time. For whatever reason, Brian decided to join me after all. So we met up and headed that way.

As we entered the seating area, someone checked our IDs to make sure we were 21 and gave us a wrist band. Then there were people set up around a cooler full of single serve Skinnygirl Margaritas called Skinnymini’s…how cute! We each got one, which was nice too since the seminar was free! The only thing I didn’t like about this was that they opened it before giving it to you. #1) We had just had a big breakfast and #2) I just didn’t want alcohol at 11am! Oh well. I took a few sips of mine. My husband, on the other hand, quickly downed his bottle!

I had thought the seminar started at 11 but can’t find it in my notes. My picture says Bethenny walked out at 11:32…so I guess it started at 11:30. I don’t remember thinking she was late. Anyway, so right on time (I guess), Ms. Frankel made her way out! She actually had a pretty good crowd too.

I thought she did a great job. She talked about some different things you could do with different Skinnygirl products. And she even had a few people up to sample her creations. She also took at least 15 minutes or so at the end to answer questions. I personally love her products. I have a bottle of the Coconut Vodka and Pina Colada in my fridge right now actually – both are quite tasty! I want to try her new wine selections but just haven’t bought them yet.

She talked for a solid 30 minutes total, which is what was advertised. At the end, Jason (her husband) and their daughter (Brynn, I think) came out and Brynn ran to her on the stage. It was super cute!

I do kind of wonder though, now that they’re getting divorced. Bethenny and Jason’s interaction was nonexistent. I may be reading into it looking back because of the news coming out now. Not that my commentary matters AT ALL! Bethenny did a great job I thought! This was our only seminar because of all the money we were spending elsewhere. In the future, I do want to do another. Maybe a lunch or dessert party?

Up next: I need a vegetable…any vegetable!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Saturday – November 3rd (Lunch)

After the F&W seminar, we went to Animal Kingdom! AK is my least favorite park, but I do enjoy the theming a lot. Around 3:30, we did start getting a little hungry. We had an 8:00 ADR for dinner so we wanted something to hold us over. I was seriously craving vegetables and Brian agreed. Cold, refreshing vegetables. I didn’t know what else to do but get a salad somewhere so that’s just what we did!

We both ordered the chicken Caesar salad at Pizzafari. It fit the criteria and it was decent overall. I expected wilted greens but they really weren’t! The chicken wasn't rubbery either. I didn't eat many of the croutons because there were just too many. Maybe we just lucked out but the salad was okay!

We both also got the cheesecake for dessert. Whatever that gelatinous orange layer is at the top – the recipe needs to be burned. It was disgusting! But after scraping that off, the cheesecake and cookie crumb section were pretty tasty!

Not the most exciting of lunches, I know. But it met our desire for the moment. What can I say?

Up Next: Teppan Edo!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #30
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Saturday – November 3rd (Dinner)

This night was completely at the request of my husband. I do like Teppan Edo, but I just think it’s pretty ordinary hibachi style food. It has kind of become a tradition though and it’s one of the only places Brian requests specifically. I guess I can give him one, right?

As always though, the sweet little Japanese girls informed us that they were running behind and there would be a wait. In my experience, there is ALWAYS a wait. Ah well…I expected it. So we sat on the steps and waited.

Since the tables seat 8, we were seated with a dad and his two teenage daughters and a couple who had just gotten engaged. I won’t focus on it, but I can’t stand (most) teenagers. One of the girls was just obnoxious. I’m not sure what her deal was. She just kept giving us weird looks. Honestly, I am usually very oblivious to stuff like that. So the fact that I noticed was irritating. I’m not sure if it was that I took pictures, or that Brian ordered Sake, or…what. I can’t think of much else that would have annoyed her. But then again, she was a teenager. It could have been anything. Okay, done. I won’t mention her again.

Like I said, Brian did order Sake. If you read my earlier entry about his quest to find a Sake that he liked, he found it! I didn’t enjoy this one any more than the others I’ve tried. It was SLIGHTLY sweet. I expected it to taste creamy from its appearance. Don’t be fooled – it did not.

I do enjoy the little show. Even though it’s not different from others, it’s entertaining. Our guy was from Tallahassee, I think. He didn’t have an accent at all. But he was talented!

Oh look, there’s snobby princess girl! I didn’t realize she was in any pictures. Okay, seriously, done. I do hope she’s not reading though. However, if you are – please enlighten me on what your sideways looks were about.

I guess the salad hadn’t fulfilled my desire for vegetables earlier because I ordered the vegetables as my entrée. This was great! I was a little hesitant because I wasn’t sure I would get enough. But that wasn’t a problem at all!

With noodles, zucchini and onions:

I hate to say it, but I didn’t get a picture of Brian’s. I can’t remember why. He got the shrimp and loved it! He also got ANOTHER Sake! He wasn’t very much good to me the rest of the night. But he sure had fun.

We paid for this meal out of pocket. We used the credit later at California Grill. Plus, I think Teppan Edo’s desserts are very lacking so I didn’t want to waste it. It was an enjoyable meal overall. I know we’ll be back again.

Up Next: my dessert choice for the evening!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: