Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

We did this for our second trip, which was a surprise for our son's Kindergarten graduation. We told both children when we picked them up on the last day of school and immediately began our trip down to Florida.

My wife made a book using digital scrapbook pages telling the story of our son's Kindergarten year at school. We have him read it when we picked him up, and the last page was saying they were going to Disney World.

We haven't done it since them, because after that both children were old enough to be able to provide input on our vacations.\

My wife posted a little more about it in our trip report. See here: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...42&postcount=6

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

My kids have been beggging to go back to Disney this coming summer. We tried surprising them our last trip but *we* were too excited and couldn't keep the secret! This trip is their big Christmas present so that's what's kept me from spilling the beans. We're leaving New Year's Day but are telling them Chrismtas Eve. We were going to do Christmas morning but decided it would require us to wake up way too early to hope to pull off our surprise.

This is what we're doing...

We have two large snow people. They are next to our Christmas tree. We found a strand of Mickey lights at Target we'll string between them. All Christmas presents are wrapped in Mickey paper (except santa's presents). We bought Mickey Christmas pj's for both of them (ages 3 and 5). We have a giant Mickey head balloon and some regular Mickey latex print balloons. We bought a little helium tank and will fill the balloons and then put them in a large washer box. We'll wrap the box and put it behind the lights. Before the giant box, each kid has a small box filled with little Mickey/Disney things (markers, stickers, bubbles, etc.) They will open these first. We also have customized maps. I think they will catch on and will be over the moon excited to know we're going a week after that!

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Keegansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
heather4Disney
BEGINNER 2 DISNEY (Family with 3 small kids)

I was thinking of not telling our kids until the morning we get to the MK park. We will need to take a flight to get to Orlando, which we will not tell them either. I just couldn't handle the repeat repeat repeat questions.

My twins are 5, and a 3 yr old.
heather4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
la79al
DIS Veteran

I am considering doing something similar with DD4. She knows we are going and even knows when we are going but I think closer to the time I'm just going to stop talking about it and then wake her up the morning of and ask her to help me put all the Disney stuff into the van. I don't know if it's going to work out though because we most likely have to go pick up my brother and sisters luggage the night before.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

We did for last year when the girls were 5 yo and it backfired. We told them as we got to Disney main entrance and they were at lost and not that happy. We will not be doing that again. the building up excitement is much more fun for them.

That being said, we did drive 27 hours to get there and all along they would ask where we were goin and would give them hints like going to see a big tree, see a bunch or animals and mouse. They were not impressed with our surprise. this year we told them 2 weeks ahead and they were over the moon excited.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #21
HomeiswhereMickeyis
When can I go back?

When my sister and I were little we lived within a nights drive to Disney and for her birthday my parents surprised us with a trip. We had no clue what was going on! Mom and Dad woke us up very early and put us in the car telling us we needed to go shopping out of town (not very uncommon) but had packed everything secretly. We fell back to sleep and when they woke us up for breakfast Dad couldn't wait any longer so he gave my sister her early birthday card that said we were going to Disney! We were so thrilled and the best part was we were going to get to see Nancy Kerrigan (our favorite skater at the time) perform at Disney on her birthday! It is still my sister's favorite birthday memory.

~~~~
First trip in '87 too many to count since...
Trips together: Wonder {Bahamas}-10, POP Century-April 12, Coranado Springs {Anniversary trip} - August 12

HomeiswhereMickeyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
mickeyluvr004
Mouseketeer

We leave next thursday early my DD9 does not know and my DD14 does. we were planning on putting a disney gift card in a small bag and waking her up at 3 am and telling her she really needs to open this bag and hopefully she will get it.
another idea was to wake her up and hand her the big envelope that our plans are in and ask her we have a problem and need to know what we should do and have her open it.. not sure exactly what one we are going to do yet, i love reading all your ideas and feel free to send some to me also.
My older DD is going to record the whole thing she is soo excited to be helping me with the planning.
mickeyluvr004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
Q-man
DIS Veteran

We picked the kids up from school and didn't say anything until the oldest noticed the way we were driving wasn't the way home and asked about it. We were at the airport 15-20 minutes later. Additionally, we surprised them with "running into" their best friends, who had been transferred overseas 11 months earlier, at WDW.

Last edited by Q-man; 12-04-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
kldmom2000
DIS Veteran

We did it once, but probably not again

It was the morning of my oldest DD's 9th birthday... my other DD was almost 7. We had them thinking we were leaving verrrrrrrrrrrrry early in the morning for a weekend trip to NH (3 hours away).... but as we were about to walk out the door to the car at 3:00am to catch our plane, I gave them each a bag with a "surprise" inside. The bags contained handmade Disney autograph books and a couple of pins to trade.... the look of shock/surprise/excitement was awesome... though even the entire way to the airport, they thought we were pulling a fast one.

We only stayed for 5 nights, but at the end, both girls agreed they were THRILLED we went, but they were sad that they didn't get to help plan it and asked us to please not surprise them again
Old 12-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #25
Cree629
Mouseketeer

Just surprised ours last week! Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKgYSE978Po&feature=plcp

Cree629 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: