Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
lauris87
Mouseketeer

Anyone NOT tell their kids about their trip until the morning of?

I just booked reservations for my May trip and am so excited! I've been talking about the trip with my 4yo so he knows we are going to Disney at some point but I told him it was a long time away. I think I am going to NOT mention it again at all to him (and I'm sure he will forget) and then surprise him either the night before or the morning that we leave (not sure which one yet). Anyone do this before? Just wanted to hear some stories .

1983- off site
1988- off site
1996-AS Sports
1997-AS Sports
2009- GF
lauris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauris87 View Post
I just booked reservations for my May trip and am so excited! I've been talking about the trip with my 4yo so he knows we are going to Disney at some point but I told him it was a long time away. I think I am going to NOT mention it again at all to him (and I'm sure he will forget) and then surprise him either the night before or the morning that we leave (not sure which one yet). Anyone do this before? Just wanted to hear some stories .
Our August trip of this year we didn't tell the kids until the morning we left. All summer we told the kids we were going on a trip to the beach before school started. When we got up that morning, we showed them a video a friend had made that told them they were going to Disney.

They were totally shocked and was so excited.
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

On our last trip, we had planned on not telling them till the morning of, but since our flight was so early (and because I had 2 huge boxes filled with Disney stuff for them to go through, and bring to Disney with us), we decided to do it the night before. It was a really great experience, and I taped it, so I can watch it over and over again - I'm glad that we did it that way!

Having said that, I wount do it again. Half the fun of a Disney vacation is in the planning - For the adults and the kids! Of course yours is only 4, so I think its a fine idea for you to do the surprise - Mine were 5 & 6 on our last trip, and though they would have enjoyed talking about Disney with me, they were a little young for any real planning. Plus talking about a Disney trip, asking them where they want to eat, and what rides the want to go on, 6 months before they leave is pure torture to them!! Have a great trip, and make sure you record the surprise!!!
DisneyLvr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
leftaslide
NW GA. DDC #751

Our first trip we drove from Siesta Key over to Disney, and didn't tell them until we were almost there. They were very surprised and it was a great memory. We recorded it also. We tried to surprise them the 2nd time, but it didn't fly as well (they were still groggy from waking up). There are tons of videos on youtube of surprising kids with Disney trips. Some are sweet and some.....well....not so much. LOL. Enjoy surprising him and record it!

Dragging the Kids Back to WDW, a Sept. 2014 PTR!
leftaslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Once we picked them up at school, and had the secretary call down to their room and say, "please excuse ______ to go to Disney World", we could hear the rest of the class yell, and ther faces when they came around the corner priceless! Then last fall they had no idea we were going, we told them we had dentist appointments in the morning, we pretended something was delivered on the front porch, they brought in the box opened it and a Mickey balloon popped out with our plane tickets and magical express info tied to it. They didn't believe us until they went to the van and saw the bags in the back..the jumping screaming and reaction was hilarious our oldest " I can't go I have a student council meeting!" it was awesome - they loved it and asked to be surprised again. So for us it worked well!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

How about waking them up at check-in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhIhiHjxBxk

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
BuzzLiteyear
To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at the Contemporary Resort!

Location: 978.19 miles just East of due North of CR (1161 by roads)

I can't tell you about ours because its still about 26 days away. We are driving down from WNY and arrive 12/22. We are leaving as soon as the kids get home from school. I told them the other day that we are going to Candy Cane Lane at HersheyPark so they don't catch on to any packing. I plan to use the one Disney app for the iPad where they wipe the magic mirror and it tells them they are going to Disney World. I'll do this just before we get into the van.

Hope yours goes well. The suspense is eating away at me but it will be worth it.
BuzzLiteyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
nefritz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLiteyear
I can't tell you about ours because its still about 26 days away. We are driving down from WNY and arrive 12/22. We are leaving as soon as the kids get home from school. I told them the other day that we are going to Candy Cane Lane at HersheyPark so they don't catch on to any packing. I plan to use the one Disney app for the iPad where they wipe the magic mirror and it tells them they are going to Disney World. I'll do this just before we get into the van.

Hope yours goes well. The suspense is eating away at me but it will be worth it.
Could you tell me the name of your app? Thanks
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

well, you get the free call, so our plan was to get the call a few days before (scheduled for the thursday for the Thursday after cruise) and them find out that way.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

One trip, DD knew that we were going sometime that summer, but not when. We went into her room early (around 3 a.m.) and played "Leaving on a Jet Plane." That was followed by some Disney music.

Last year we didn't tell her at all. We went to breakfast at IHOP that morning. We got to the car and DH started griping about how the waffles weren't good and how he'd rather have a Mickey waffle. He was like, "I'm going to get a Mickey waffle now." We headed for the city and DD asked several times where we were going. "To get a Mickey waffle, I told you." We were pulling into the airport before she realized we were serious. It was a blast!

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
BuzzLiteyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefritz

Magic Mirror, it's an official Disney app.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
BuzzLiteyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefritz

I just checked and its no longer available in the App Store . It's odd, because it still works. You can book vacations directly through Disney with it.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
maciec
AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh4evr View Post
Once we picked them up at school, and had the secretary call down to their room and say, "please excuse ______ to go to Disney World", we could hear the rest of the class yell, and ther faces when they came around the corner priceless!
I LOVE this!!! I wonder if my kids school would do this! How close to the end of the school day did you do it? I don't want to be too disruptive

maciec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
LCoulter
Whoah Mouse

Can we please go to Disney NOW?

My DD is always asking “Can we please go to Disney now?”, not understanding that we live far away, both DH and I work so we can’t just pick up and go on a moments notice. We had always counted down our trips with her but finally decided to keep our June 2012 trip a secret until the morning we left for the airport, so that for once, in her eyes, we could go on a moments notice.

I packed in secret and it was hard not talking about it but DH and I would smile when she would ask her question about going NOW. The night before, after DD5 went to bed, we loaded up the car. We were worried about waking her the next morning because she is NOT a morning person and can be grumbley and is usually difficult to get dressed because she is so picky about what she wears. I bought her a Minnie outfit for that morning but figured she wouldn’t wear it and if we had problems with her getting dressed, that would be ok, we would just pick her up with her PJ’s and take her to the airport.

The next morning we went in her bedroom at 5am, woke her up and told her that Mickey wanted her to come to Disney that morning. She sat right up, smiling, got dressed in her Minnie outfit without complaint and by the time we put her in the car, she was awake enough and was asking all sorts of questions about the trip.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

We've done this a few times for long weekend trips to Disney & Universal. DD remembers it WELL & talks about it all the time. She LOVED getting surprised like that!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: