Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
DonnaL
DIS Veteran

Heads Up for Pennsylvania CP Students

With tax time right around the corner just a heads up when you file your PA Income Tax. My son did the CP spring semester 2011 and when he did his 2011 taxes this past spring 2012, needed to pay about $140 in PA taxes based on his income while in FL....which has no personal state income tax. He did pay this tax to PA this past March, however, for some reason...PA is now saying he owes this exact amount plus they are adding penalties to it. So, be very careful you keep all of your documentation together regarding the amount you owe/paid in PA state income taxes based on your income while in FL. Fortunately, we have everything documented well, but, it's still a pain to make photocopies of everything and I'm quite sure we will have a few months of back and forth before it's straightened out.
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
espana94
DIS Veteran

I believe this is a common issue for students from any state that has a state income tax. DD participated in Fall Advantage 2011. She also owed state income tax when she did her taxes. We live in IL.
espana94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
thatcrazydisneygirl
Mouseketeer

I am from PA and did the Spring 2011 program. I didn't pay any income tax to PA when I filed because I did my taxes as though I resided outside of the state for part of the year. There is a way to avoid this!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
DonnaL
DIS Veteran

thatcrazydisneygirl.....you may have done your taxes that way, but, if you were still listed as a PA resident for college residency purposes, voting, etc. it was done incorrectly. We very thoroughly read thru the regulations on this and weren't looking for a way to avoid it and he did pay it, however, for some reason PA Dept of Revenue didn't credit it to the correct category....it's not really an issue....just that we now need to provide a copy of front and back of the cancelled check to show that they were indeed paid.
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: