Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #106
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

When I was a (high school) lunch lady (4 years ago), there were guidelines we had to follow if the kids were on the reduced or free lunch program. They had to take at least 3 of the required components whether they wanted them all or not. If they said they didn't want to, we'd have to tell them either pay full price or take the component. What they did with it once they left the area was up to them but they had to walk away with them.

We offered salads, bagels, 2 kinds of chicken sandwiches, pizza and one other hot entree every day as well as french fries, fruit and milk. We also had a sub station set up with made to order subs (like subway). We also offered juice, vitamin water, water, snacks and ice cream. Those all cost extra though.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #107
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
This is what I don't understand. Are the new regulations (no butter or salt, whole wheat pasta and bread) only in regards to the free lunch program? Do they only apply to the full meals? Why is it one school has homemade cookies, banana bread, and muffins and another one has Goldfish and Gummy Bears? Why do some schools have full on salad bars and others only offer a cup of iceberg lettuce? Are these government regulations that vary by school or has each individual school (or district) decided what to do with regards to junk food?
OK, first off, some kitchens are "seperate" from the schools. In fact most might be now. The school contracts out with a vendor to supply the food. The kitchen employees are sometimes paid by the vendor, even though you work for the school.

Second the regulations apply 100% to the "hot lunch" (full pay or free) and partially to the snacks & believe me THAT varies greatly, esp. in middle school/high school.

Third homemade cookies are usually frozen, although they are fresh and hot when the kids eat them.

As a kitchen manager you have to work with what vendor your school works with as far as "supply". Naturally this will differ across the states.

I cannot specifically speak on the part of how the regulations vary state to state but I suppose you can look into your state house of representatives.

People go around making laws in their communities and that may have something to do with how things are governed and who knows what else. I do know I had read about schools making changes to menu's based on parent/student effort in the past.

Last edited by The Mystery Machine; 11-26-2012 at 06:20 PM.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #108
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
This is what I don't understand. Are the new regulations (no butter or salt, whole wheat pasta and bread) only in regards to the free lunch program? Do they only apply to the full meals? Why is it one school has homemade cookies, banana bread, and muffins and another one has Goldfish and Gummy Bears? Why do some schools have full on salad bars and others only offer a cup of iceberg lettuce? Are these government regulations that vary by school or has each individual school (or district) decided what to do with regards to junk food?
The regulations are in regards to hot meals. I think the ability to offer choices and the number of choices is based on the financial ability of the district. Here I think the baked goods are allowed because of how they are made. It has something to do with fat calories and sugar. It is possible to. make baked goods lower in fat and sugar by substituting things like applesauce and fruit for oil and sugar.

Our middle school gives you a choice of 2 hot entrees (one vegetarian) as well as a choice of 2 sandwiches (one meat one Pb&j) they usually have one vegetable with the meal, but there is a choice of fruit.

Our high school does have a salad bar as well as a choice of entrees or sandwiches. I'm not 100% sure of the state regulations, but again, I think that the food sold/offered has to be below a certain percentage of sugar/fat calories/sodium. The PP with the gummy bears is in Maryland, their regulations may differ, but here they aren't allowed to sell candy in school (even for fundraisers) and they aren't allowed to sell sugar sweetened beverages.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #109
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I just needed to point out that basically everyone I know within 200 miles of NYC call it "The City". I realize people outside that metro area don't get it, but basically if you live within driving distance, New York City is "The City".

See also: The Valley. A common nickname for The Lehigh Valley (the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton-Phillipsburgh metro area) is "The Valley" with a capital V. We are aware it's not the only valley in the world. It's just a nickname.
If you live in NYC, or the surrounding areas, it is never capitalized. For example, if family or friends of mine email me about going in to see them, city is always lowercase, as in, "Hey when are you coming into the city?" Or, "The city is a mob scene today." Or, "I'm heading back to the city on the 8:30 train."

So, it is the city, not The City, or the City.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #110
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
The regulations are in regards to hot meals. I think the ability to offer choices and the number of choices is based on the financial ability of the district. Here I think the baked goods are allowed because of how they are made. It has something to do with fat calories and sugar. It is possible to. make baked goods lower in fat and sugar by substituting things like applesauce and fruit for oil and sugar.

Our middle school gives you a choice of 2 hot entrees (one vegetarian) as well as a choice of 2 sandwiches (one meat one Pb&j) they usually have one vegetable with the meal, but there is a choice of fruit.

Our high school does have a salad bar as well as a choice of entrees or sandwiches. I'm not 100% sure of the state regulations, but again, I think that the food sold/offered has to be below a certain percentage of sugar/fat calories/sodium. The PP with the gummy bears is in Maryland, their regulations may differ, but here they aren't allowed to sell candy in school (even for fundraisers) and they aren't allowed to sell sugar sweetened beverages.
How about this one?

The PTO at my dd's HS runs the "school store" which has plenty of junk and candy & other stuff. It makes enough throughout the year so the school DOES NOT have to do fundraisers.

The only soda that is sold for the kids during school in the soda machines is Mello Yello. Figure that one out, lol.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #111
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
How about this one?

The PTO at my dd's HS runs the "school store" which has plenty of junk and candy & other stuff. It makes enough throughout the year so the school DOES NOT have to do fundraisers.

The only soda that is sold for the kids during school in the soda machines is Mello Yello. Figure that one out, lol.
They used to do this when I was in school, too. The school store was manned by seniors and the proceeds went to the senior class. It payed for the prom and the senior trip. Now the school store only sells school supplies. It's not nearly as profitable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: