Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #91
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!
 
JennaDeeDooDah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
If you are getting a "hot lunch" you take "what is required".

Now I will say different districts, states, managers prepare those choices differently.

For example when I worked in TX you had to take milk, veggie or fruit, and the entree with corresponding sides.

Our "fresh fruit" was always a choice.

If you want to split hairs about "nourishment" VS "filling you up" with regards to school lunches, that would obviously be a matter of the school, now wouldn't it?

Some schools are able to provide better "nourishment" than others. Some provide better classes, technology, safety, parent involvement, bus service, music programs, and on and on....

It is just how it is.
But my question is about whether or not things should be "required". Should a student be allowed to say "no peas" because they know that they hate peas and will just throw them away? Should a child be required to take a hot roll if he doesn't like them? Should we keep the policy this way, or should we change it? Should we keep it this way for elementary, but allow junior high and high school kids to have more say?
__________________


*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*


JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #92
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 45,370

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
But my question is about whether or not things should be "required". Should a student be allowed to say "no peas" because they know that they hate peas and will just throw them away? Should a child be required to take a hot roll if he doesn't like them? Should we keep the policy this way, or should we change it? Should we keep it this way for elementary, but allow junior high and high school kids to have more say?
When you are preparing the food you base it on the number of students that you think will eat that day.

If the students did NOT take it, it gets thrown away anyway.

Some things like canned fruit can carry over for 1 day but that is if it has not been served.

With elementary you do a "count" for the day & you do have to be specific in elementary since usually it is several hundred kids.

Guess what happens when you don't "keep count", you run out of food on other days because ALL of sudden kids are taking sides, fruit, veggies.

There is no "win" to this issue.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #93
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda
 
FlightlessDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 12,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighe View Post
Just curious, Cornflake, but you do realize there are other cities on Earth other than NYC? I was worried maybe you didn't since you always type the City like its the only one.
I just needed to point out that basically everyone I know within 200 miles of NYC call it "The City". I realize people outside that metro area don't get it, but basically if you live within driving distance, New York City is "The City".

See also: The Valley. A common nickname for The Lehigh Valley (the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton-Phillipsburgh metro area) is "The Valley" with a capital V. We are aware it's not the only valley in the world. It's just a nickname.
__________________
FlightlessDuck
DH of MouseEarsJenny

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #94
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos
 
Soldier's*Sweeties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 6,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I just needed to point out that basically everyone I know within 200 miles of NYC call it "The City". I realize people outside that metro area don't get it, but basically if you live within driving distance, New York City is "The City".
Yeah we call it the city here too and Albany is LITERALLY 5 minutes down the road. It is the closest city, but "The City" is NYC.
__________________
2013 Book Challenge: 25 of 25 COMPLETE!!!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #95
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
Yeah we call it the city here too and Albany is LITERALLY 5 minutes down the road. It is the closest city, but "The City" is NYC.
I think when anyone in NY state refers to "The City" they are talking about NYC. We have been going down to The City for ever!
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #96
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos
 
Soldier's*Sweeties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 6,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I think when anyone in NY state refers to "The City" they are talking about NYC. We have been going down to The City for ever!
I'm not a New Yorker! I'm still learning these things !

I was at my inlaw's house yesterday and announced it was snowing...Everyone stared at me like I had three heads and then laughed!!!
__________________
2013 Book Challenge: 25 of 25 COMPLETE!!!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #97
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
If you are getting a "hot lunch" you take "what is required".

Now I will say different districts, states, managers prepare those choices differently.

For example when I worked in TX you had to take milk, veggie or fruit, and the entree with corresponding sides.

Our "fresh fruit" was always a choice.

If you want to split hairs about "nourishment" VS "filling you up" with regards to school lunches, that would obviously be a matter of the school, now wouldn't it?

Some schools are able to provide better "nourishment" than others. Some provide better classes, technology, safety, parent involvement, bus service, music programs, and on and on....

It is just how it is.


To generalize and say that the new lunch program the government instituted is across the board horrible isn't fair. There are plenty of schools who are getting it right.

The same is said for education. I think we would all agree that schools in the US need a tuneup, but we would be foolish to suggest that every school in the US has major problems and isn't doing anything right. Some are making it work. The goal should be how to make the program work, instead of giving up and blaming the government for little Johnny coming home starving.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #98
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne
 
CandleontheWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,222

Did they cut the overall caloric value of school lunch, or did they just change things to make them healthier, but still provide the same number of calories?

I can understand people being upset if children's basic caloric needs were not being met at lunch, that would be terrible, both for regular kids and kids that are food insecure. However, if they took and ate all the food available, and it met the nutritional and caloric guidelines for children, I don't see the huge issue.

It is really difficult, expecting a program to tackle both food insecurity and obesity. Although they can intersect, the best ways to deal with the problem are radially different. There are some things that can help both, like providing food that is nutritionally dense and filling, but you don't want to provide too much food, because kids can become obese even through indulging in too much "good" food.

Also, I'm not sure that even children from food insecure households would really benefit from jamming the majority their daily calories into one school lunch. A much better way would be to work to ensure that kids had access to nutritious foods at all appropriate mealtimes. Federal food assistance programs are meant to fill that void, but they've been demonized over the years, and do not always reach those that need it most.

I really don't see a better way to address both the hunger problem with our children, and the obesity problem than to try and provide school lunches that meet children's caloric needs with healthy food. I can understand children not liking it at first, but they'll adapt. Its natural that kids like high sugar, high fat foods better, especially if that is all they have known. Its going to take a while to retrain their pallets and appreciate the taste of new things.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #99
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

 
badblackpug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,086

I think pretty much everyone refers to the largest city nearest to them as "the city." Here it is Philadelphia. The difference is that not everyone is presumptuous or pretentious enough to capitalize it. (Which, BTW, is grammatically incorrect) The only time it would be grammatically correct to capitalize "city" would be if it were part of the proper name, as in typing out "New York City." While, locally, Philadelphia is known as "the city" I would never presume to think that the rest of the nation considers it "the City." Capitalizing it without grammatical need to do so lends an air of importance that doesn't exist.

As for the school lunches, I think it is important to offer nutritious, filling meals. Actually my kids never found any of the meals, pre or post changes, to be particularly tasty. It is my understanding that the lunches do offer an adequate amount of calories (750) the school can't be held responsible if the child chooses not to eat it. I guess choices are also dependent on the budget of the district. My kids' schools offer several choices daily, but in a district that can't afford this I guess they have to figure they can't please everyone. I don't think they should serve the kids junk just because "that is what they will eat." In all honesty, my kids, although they eat a good variety of things, will choose the junky stuff if it's available.

I think most kids will choose the pizza or ice cream over salad and fruit. At this point it is just a learning curve. Students need tonget used to the newer menu. As more kids enter school and see this as the norm I think the food will be better accepted.
__________________
badblackpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #100
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg
 
punkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,186

I usually pack DD's lunch. Last week one day I was just too busy and there was nothing in the house, so I gave her $10 to buy lunch. She came home starving (and with money left over). She had bought a bag of goldfish and 2 bags of gummy bears. She also had a bottle of Gatorade. That was her lunch. No one cared what she was buying or said anything when she loaded up on junk. I am sure there nutritious choices available, but choosing them does not seem to be enforced...or maybe it's only enforced for kids on free lunch.
__________________
“You don’t want coon dogs chasing squirrels!” Justice Antonin Scalia.
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #101
indimom
Are We There Yet?
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
I think pretty much everyone refers to the largest city nearest to them as "the city." Here it is Philadelphia. The difference is that not everyone is presumptuous or pretentious enough to capitalize it. (Which, BTW, is grammatically incorrect) The only time it would be grammatically correct to capitalize "city" would be if it were part of the proper name, as in typing out "New York City." While, locally, Philadelphia is known as "the city" I would never presume to think that the rest of the nation considers it "the City." Capitalizing it without grammatical need to do so lends an air of importance that doesn't exist.

As for the school lunches, I think it is important to offer nutritious, filling meals. Actually my kids never found any of the meals, pre or post changes, to be particularly tasty. It is my understanding that the lunches do offer an adequate amount of calories (750) the school can't be held responsible if the child chooses not to eat it. I guess choices are also dependent on the budget of the district. My kids' schools offer several choices daily, but in a district that can't afford this I guess they have to figure they can't please everyone. I don't think they should serve the kids junk just because "that is what they will eat." In all honesty, my kids, although they eat a good variety of things, will choose the junky stuff if it's available.

I think most kids will choose the pizza or ice cream over salad and fruit. At this point it is just a learning curve. Students need tonget used to the newer menu. As more kids enter school and see this as the norm I think the food will be better accepted.
Same here, except its Cincinnati.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #102
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I usually pack DD's lunch. Last week one day I was just too busy and there was nothing in the house, so I gave her $10 to buy lunch. She came home starving (and with money left over). She had bought a bag of goldfish and 2 bags of gummy bears. She also had a bottle of Gatorade. That was her lunch. No one cared what she was buying or said anything when she loaded up on junk. I am sure there nutritious choices available, but choosing them does not seem to be enforced...or maybe it's only enforced for kids on free lunch.
Would you really want the school telling your child what to eat with your money? Would you be happy if they forced her to put something back and take a healthier option and it ended up in the trash? There is no way the school can police all of those kids when it comes to eating and it shouldn't be part of their job anyway. They monitor the free lunch kids because they have to in order to receive funding. The rest of the kids need to learn to make healthy choices on their own.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #103
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!
 
JennaDeeDooDah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I usually pack DD's lunch. Last week one day I was just too busy and there was nothing in the house, so I gave her $10 to buy lunch. She came home starving (and with money left over). She had bought a bag of goldfish and 2 bags of gummy bears. She also had a bottle of Gatorade. That was her lunch. No one cared what she was buying or said anything when she loaded up on junk. I am sure there nutritious choices available, but choosing them does not seem to be enforced...or maybe it's only enforced for kids on free lunch.
How old is your daughter? I ask because when I was in middle school, standard lunch for many of my friends and me was an order of fries and a coke. Sometimes we would order a hot dog, but often it was fries. Oh, and we would get a Starcrunch. We were in middle school and teachers figured that we were going to eat what we were going to eat.
__________________


*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*


JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #104
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

 
badblackpug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I usually pack DD's lunch. Last week one day I was just too busy and there was nothing in the house, so I gave her $10 to buy lunch. She came home starving (and with money left over). She had bought a bag of goldfish and 2 bags of gummy bears. She also had a bottle of Gatorade. That was her lunch. No one cared what she was buying or said anything when she loaded up on junk. I am sure there nutritious choices available, but choosing them does not seem to be enforced...or maybe it's only enforced for kids on free lunch.
The difference in our schools is that that type of food is not available. The "treats" that are available are are things baked by the school like oatmeal raisin cookies, banana bread, and muffins.

I think the nutrition programs vary from state to state.
__________________
badblackpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #105
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
The difference in our schools is that that type of food is not available. The "treats" that are available are are things baked by the school like oatmeal raisin cookies, banana bread, and muffins.

I think the nutrition programs vary from state to state.
This is what I don't understand. Are the new regulations (no butter or salt, whole wheat pasta and bread) only in regards to the free lunch program? Do they only apply to the full meals? Why is it one school has homemade cookies, banana bread, and muffins and another one has Goldfish and Gummy Bears? Why do some schools have full on salad bars and others only offer a cup of iceberg lettuce? Are these government regulations that vary by school or has each individual school (or district) decided what to do with regards to junk food?
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: