Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #76
Family Fun Mom
No longer tagless... my wit has been confirmed!
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

Ever since these new changes kicked in, my 10 year old almost never gets school lunch anymore. He used to get it 3 or 4 days a week. They got rid of, or changed, all his favorites. He used to love the pasta. They used to serve Big Boys sauce over rotini with a garlic roll and a salad. There is nothing wrong with that. He looked forward to it every week. Now it's vegetarian marinara sauce over whole wheat pasta, and of course, a whole grain roll. He hated it and came home starving. I make his lunch pretty much every day now. He's much happier. I feel bad for the kids who have no choice other than what the school is offering.

My teens have reported the same thing. They used to love what the school offered most days but now they say none of it is good. However they have the option of the "Snack Shack" run by students. It gets more business than the regular lunch line. He has practice right after school and needs way more food than the school offers/allows. My son told me just this evening he thinks he is going to just eat a hot pretzel for lunch tomorrow since it is more filling than the regular lunch. Great. I'm going to start packing his lunch, too. They also force the kids to take a fruit and a vegetable whether they want it or not. They have a garbage can right outside the lunch line where the kids toss them before they even get to their tables. It's a complete waste. And of course you pay more and get less! But what do you expect when the federal government is running things? It's ridiculous.
Family Fun Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #77
Mel522
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Yeah, it should if it's used the way I used it. Same as 'The President boarded the plane,' takes the capital P even though it's not in the 'title name' format.
You would only capitalize president if it is used before the persons name. It is not capitalized when it refers to a president but does not proceed the name. You would also capitalize president if it replaced a person's name. In your example, it does not. You would not say "The Barack Obama..."

Examples
The president boarded the plane.
President Barack Obama boarded the plane.
Barack Obama is president of the United States
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #78
Family Fun Mom
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

You know what really makes me mad about all of this, too? This same year that they make all these lunch changes for the sake of our poor, fat children's health they CUT GYM in our district. Last year they took away recess and this year they cut gym for the upper elementary kids, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. Young kids need to move those little bodies and expel some of that energy!

If the kids are lucky and get a good teacher they may take them out for 20 minutes each day. But when you have a lazy teacher, like my son did last year, it never happens. They went outside maybe 5 times all year. I tried to complain but the school sticks to the "it's the teacher's discretion" line and won't budge. This year is better. His teacher is pretty great. But still... do you really think all this is for the good of our kids? I don't see how. What's the point of so called healthy food if the kids don't eat it? And why bother if they can't work it off a little? You need good diet AND exercise to be healthy. It drives me nuts.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #79
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, it should if it's used the way I used it. Same as 'The President boarded the plane,' takes the capital P even though it's not in the 'title name' format.
Read rule rule 5:

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #80
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ever since these new changes kicked in, my 10 year old almost never gets school lunch anymore. He used to get it 3 or 4 days a week. They got rid of, or changed, all his favorites. He used to love the pasta. They used to serve Big Boys sauce over rotini with a garlic roll and a salad. There is nothing wrong with that. He looked forward to it every week. Now it's vegetarian marinara sauce over whole wheat pasta, and of course, a whole grain roll. He hated it and came home starving. I make his lunch pretty much every day now. He's much happier. I feel bad for the kids who have no choice other than what the school is offering.
What is Big Boys sauce? I'd be happy the kids are getting a more nutritious but apparently very similar option - pasta with sauce now pasta with sauce, no? Just now whole wheat pasta and a whole grain roll. I do think there's something wrong with serving 'white' pasta and a 'white' roll for lunch - though as I don't know what Big Boy sauce is I dunno if there were vegetables involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522 View Post
You would only capitalize president if it is used before the persons name. It is not capitalized when it refers to a president but does not proceed the name. You would also capitalize president if it replaced a person's name. In your example, it does not. You would not say "The Barack Obama..."

Examples
The president boarded the plane.
President Barack Obama boarded the plane.
Barack Obama is president of the United States
It can be capitalized when it is used in place of the name, not when in reference.

Same as, 'hey, Coach!'

Regardless of what Jane and her little blue book think. This is a guide differential.

The Times (also capitalized) has it plenty - "The remarks by the President..."

I'm done with this ridiculousness.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #81
Family Fun Mom
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

Quote:
What is Big Boys sauce? I'd be happy the kids are getting a more nutritious but apparently very similar option - pasta with sauce now pasta with sauce, no? Just now whole wheat pasta and a whole grain roll. I do think there's something wrong with serving 'white' pasta and a 'white' roll for lunch - though as I don't know what Big Boy sauce is I dunno if there were vegetables involved.

Big Boys is a popular Michigan restaurant.

The big difference here is that before the pasta and sauce tasted good. Now, it does not.

There is no health benefit to food that is not eaten.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #82
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

Who's fault is it when a kid doesn't want to eat healthy foods? The schools?

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

2014 Reading Challenge
Currently Reading Book #1 - The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #83
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Fun Mom View Post

The big difference here is that before the pasta and sauce tasted good. Now, it does not.

This is completely subjective though, and based on what someone is used to. If a kid only has whole wheat pasta and breads, they'd think 'white' doesn't taste good.

I don't think white bread tastes good, for the most part. It's subjective.

There's no health benefit to bad food either and possibly a detriment. If kids get used to whole grains, all the better.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #84
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Just my opinion, but...

I do think we are better off serving the healthier options and giving kids time to acclimate to changes in flavor. Encouraging them to give new foods a chance. Rewarding younger kids when they make healthy choices.

A bigger concern to me is making a child feel "full" while giving their body absolutely nothing to work with. Their body needs vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber, etc. The body cannot adequately perform all of the work it needs to do with empty calories and children's bodies do a LOT of work. In the case of some "food" choices, I believe kids would be better off eating a percent of real food rather than filling up on those empty calorie options.

It is my opinion (and I freely admit it may be wrong) that those kids who are throwing food away do so because they know they have their preferred food options at home. They are willing to go hungry for a few hours to get the food they want/are used to. I do not believe that truly hungry kids would throw away food that is sitting right in front of them. So, I am more concerned with the obesity problem in the US today than a hunger problem.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #85
Family Fun Mom
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

Quote:
This is completely subjective though, and based on what someone is used to. If a kid only has whole wheat pasta and breads, they'd think 'white' doesn't taste good.

I don't think white bread tastes good, for the most part. It's subjective.

There's no health benefit to bad food either and possibly a detriment. If kids get used to whole grains, all the better.
We're talking about pasta here, with tomato sauce and a salad. How is that so terrible? What they are serving the kids now is like cardboard with some tomato flavored water poured on it. And it's quite a small helping, too. It's not filling and there is not much of it. Even if they eat every bite they are still starving by the end of the day. I hardly think white pasta is going to lead these kids to a lifetime of destructive bad habits.

The kids uses to love pasta day, it was the most popular day of the week. Now they hate it. But nobody cares. They don't give the younger kids any say or any choices. The jr highs and high school offer several different items each day. They have many choices. They can choose an entree from about 3 or 4 offerings, 2 fruits, 2 vegetables, a bread, and a milk (white, chocolate, or strawberry). Or they can skip that all together and go to the Snack Shack. The younger kids get no choice whatsoever. Eat what the school puts on your plate or go hungry. And white milk only. You don't like white milk, too bad. And they have to take it, so there's more waste being thrown out every single day.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #86
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
That makes sense - it isn't that the meals themselves are profitable, but the percentage of kids in the school getting them is used as a factor in deciding other funding.

BTW - I'm fairly certain that tvguy is a guy.
Oops, sorry. I didn't look back to see who made the statement.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #87
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Fun Mom View Post

Whole wheat pasta is not created equal and I am willing to bet that school districts across America aren't using the best WW pasta there is, they are using the horrible cardboard tasting stuff.
My dses have definitely started to bring lunch more this year, my one ds brings pretty much every day now. The other likes just a few things. And FWIW they do eat WW pasta and WW breads at home, but they won't go near the stuff served at school.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #88
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post

Whole wheat pasta is not created equal and I am willing to bet that school districts across America aren't using the best WW pasta there is, they are using the horrible cardboard tasting stuff.
My dses have definitely started to bring lunch more this year, my one ds brings pretty much every day now. The other likes just a few things. And FWIW they do eat WW pasta and WW breads at home, but they won't go near the stuff served at school.
Yep, we eat whole wheat here,can't stand the while stuff, but the buns at WDW that are WW, DISGUSTING. They are not all created equal. I bet the school is using the cheapest nastiest WW around.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #89
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I think we have some important questions that we need to answer.

1. Is the purpose of a school lunch to just provide nourishment or to fill your child up?

2. Should students be required to take everything and put it on their tray or should they be able to pick and choose so as not to waste food?

Addressing these questions can help with solutions.

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #90
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I think we have some important questions that we need to answer.

1. Is the purpose of a school lunch to just provide nourishment or to fill your child up?

2. Should students be required to take everything and put it on their tray or should they be able to pick and choose so as not to waste food?

Addressing these questions can help with solutions.
If you are getting a "hot lunch" you take "what is required".

Now I will say different districts, states, managers prepare those choices differently.

For example when I worked in TX you had to take milk, veggie or fruit, and the entree with corresponding sides.

Our "fresh fruit" was always a choice.

If you want to split hairs about "nourishment" VS "filling you up" with regards to school lunches, that would obviously be a matter of the school, now wouldn't it?

Some schools are able to provide better "nourishment" than others. Some provide better classes, technology, safety, parent involvement, bus service, music programs, and on and on....

It is just how it is.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: