Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randi View Post
This is getting ridiculous the way the government is stepping in. School lunches now have to have smaller portions for everybody. For some kids I'm sure that is their main food for the entire day. What are they supposed to do?

The area I live in had an article in the paper that 70% of the children enrolled in the area schools qualify for a free or reduced price meal. So the head of the lunch program came up with an idea. Since all lunches must include a piece of fruit and quite a few kids were throwing it away, she started a return bin that they could put the fruit in so others could take it if they wanted. Any left over, was collected, washed and made available free for snacks in the afternoon breaks. Sounds like a win-win situation, since snacks have to be paid for as they are not substidised. Well one day after the article appeared, another edict came from the fed gov. This is not allowed as the law states that food cannot be recycled once it has gone on a tray.

So now all the fruit has to be destroyed & kids without the money to pay for a snack can go without. At least they won't become obese...
As a former lunchroom worker, the staff knew this was in violation of the "laws". So, I take umbrage in the fact that they are riling people up for this.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

Quote:
This is getting ridiculous the way the government is stepping in. School lunches now have to have smaller portions for everybody. For some kids I'm sure that is their main food for the entire day. What are they supposed to do?

The area I live in had an article in the paper that 70% of the children enrolled in the area schools qualify for a free or reduced price meal. So the head of the lunch program came up with an idea. Since all lunches must include a piece of fruit and quite a few kids were throwing it away, she started a return bin that they could put the fruit in so others could take it if they wanted. Any left over, was collected, washed and made available free for snacks in the afternoon breaks. Sounds like a win-win situation, since snacks have to be paid for as they are not substidised. Well one day after the article appeared, another edict came from the fed gov. This is not allowed as the law states that food cannot be recycled once it has gone on a tray.

So now all the fruit has to be destroyed & kids without the money to pay for a snack can go without. At least they won't become obese...
Can't comment about the 'federal' law but I can tell you that in NJ that was a law/rule over 15 years ago...

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:

Why can't they just not put it on the tray in the first place and just ask the kids if they want the fruit/veggie?
FWIW, I think the law about not being able to recycle foods that have been on other's tray has been around for awhile. My kid's schools was never allowed to do it.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #19
akhenaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety38 View Post
At my son's school they increased the price of lunch but reduced how much they get. He gets out at 1:30 and by 1:40 has his head in the fridge. He is 6 foot 6 inches and is a stick. It's too bad when well meaning people feel they know what is best for everyone.
Can't he buy 2 lunches....that is what my dh dd when we were in hs. Over 30 years ago. . And I am sure he ate as soon as he got home too.... It's called teenage growing boys...

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
POR Riverside July 2011
Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
akhenaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Why can't they just not put it on the tray in the first place and just ask the kids if they want the fruit/veggie?
FWIW, I think the law about not being able to recycle foods that have been on other's tray has been around for awhile. My kid's schools was never allowed to do it.
Yes the rule is not new.......people just like to complain and the 24hour news stations need fill....

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
POR Riverside July 2011
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #21
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
RE: Hungry - or - Obese
I just wanted to say that being poor or needy does not mean that one is not obese....

Quite the opposite.

The poor often eat lower quality foods, a much higher percentage of carbs, etc.
High quality fresh and nutritious foods can be very expensive!

And, like everyone else...
OMG, just no-comment about the school lunch programs, etc...
Exactly. The subject of wasted food has always been a big issue with me. Instead of places being able to donate whatever they hadn't sold at the end of the day, they have to pitch it?? So wrong. So messed up.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Our school is 100% on federally funded breakfast and lunch, due to the very low economic status of our population. Most of our kids eat only at school. This year we received a grant of fresh fruits and vegetables that the kids can have at snack every day. Not just the little kids, it's K-5th. When they come to school, the kids go straight to breakfast. They are required to take the entree, a fruit, and either juice or milk. If they dont' want to eat their fruit, they are encouraged to take it home to their younger siblings or save it for a snack later in the day; same, at lunch. Sometime during the day, each class gets a basket full of either a fruit or a vegetable for each child. Sometimes those baskets are pretty...interesting. Like the day they all received a radish for snack. Seriously? a radish?? But they've also had fresh pineapple,plums, cherry tomatoes, grapes, oranges, star fruit, and kiwi. One of our best received veggies was, surprisingly, cucumbers! Most of hte kids had never seen one and they really liked the taste.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #23
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
At my son's school they increased the price of lunch but reduced how much they get. He gets out at 1:30 and by 1:40 has his head in the fridge. He is 6 foot 6 inches and is a stick. It's too bad when well meaning people feel they know what is best for everyone.
Same here. My DS17 is 6' and 140 lbs. Tall and skinny. School lunch for him is a snack. He rarely buys lunch, unless we are really lacking in food at home. He packs his lunch, and eats it in all four blocks of the day- the kid is a bottomless pit with an unreal metabolism.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #24
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
Our school is 100% on federally funded breakfast and lunch, due to the very low economic status of our population. Most of our kids eat only at school. This year we received a grant of fresh fruits and vegetables that the kids can have at snack every day. Not just the little kids, it's K-5th. When they come to school, the kids go straight to breakfast. They are required to take the entree, a fruit, and either juice or milk. If they dont' want to eat their fruit, they are encouraged to take it home to their younger siblings or save it for a snack later in the day; same, at lunch. Sometime during the day, each class gets a basket full of either a fruit or a vegetable for each child. Sometimes those baskets are pretty...interesting. Like the day they all received a radish for snack. Seriously? a radish?? But they've also had fresh pineapple,plums, cherry tomatoes, grapes, oranges, star fruit, and kiwi. One of our best received veggies was, surprisingly, cucumbers! Most of hte kids had never seen one and they really liked the taste.
Sounds like the school I volunteer at
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #25
LisaR

You do realize that the big, bad, scary government has "stepping in" with regard to the free school lunches since the beginning, right? But now the big meanies are requiring fruit instead of hot dogs and fries, so we are suddenly up in arms over the amount of waste, even though waste has been a major problem since the inception of school lunches.

Common sense says to keep the fruit off the trays so they can serve it again for snack. It isn't rocket science, but it doesn't make the headlines if they use common sense.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #26
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
You do realize that the big, bad, scary government has "stepping in" with regard to the free school lunches since the beginning, right? But now the big meanies are requiring fruit instead of hot dogs and fries, so we are suddenly up in arms over the amount of waste, even though waste has been a major problem since the inception of school lunches.

Common sense says to keep the fruit off the trays so they can serve it again for snack. It isn't rocket science, but it doesn't make the headlines if they use common sense.
I don't have a problem with fruit. I have a problem with portion size for MS and HS kids (especially boys- because I have boys) who are growing and need more than 6 chicken fries (yes, our schools still serve that crap) and a 1/2 cup of iceberg lettuce salad. Can they buy another lunch? Sure- but who in their right mind would pay $5 for 12 chicken fries and 1 cup of iceberg salad? Expensive junk!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #27
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
I don't have a problem with fruit. I have a problem with portion size for MS and HS kids (especially boys- because I have boys) who are growing and need more than 6 chicken fries (yes, our schools still serve that crap) and a 1/2 cup of iceberg lettuce salad. Can they buy another lunch? Sure- but who in their right mind would pay $5 for 12 chicken fries and 1 cup of iceberg salad? Expensive junk!
But it isn't the governments job or the schools job to feed your kid (general kid) until s/he is full. The amount of people on the Dis who have complained about school lunches is huge. It is safe to say that the Dis does not have a large population of truly disadvantaged youth. You (again, general you) are perfectly capable of making lunch for your kid that will be satisfying. If you went to a restaurant and were served a small portion for an unreasonable amount, you wouldn't keep going back, would you? The schools can't afford to feed every teenager until they are full at a reasonable price. They simply can't. My teen will tell you he is always hungry. We aren't lacking for food. It is a normal mantra for teens, especially boys.

Also, my biggest pet peeve with the school lunch discussion is the fact that the blame is misplaced. Not all schools are failing in regard to school lunches. Some have great programs in place. If your school doesn't, it is very likely the fault of your school and not the government. The requirements set by the government are the same. It isn't the fault of the government that your school chooses to serve a cup of iceberg lettuce while the other poster says she stocks a great salad bar that the kids enjoy.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
If my child was that hungry after eating, and the quality of the items was that bad, and on top of that I didn't want to pay for another, then, I'd be packing and sending a lunch.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #29
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This must be local. I worked for a Title1 school last year. All our breakfasts, lunches and snacks were subsidized. The fruit that was not eaten at breakfast was put in a basket for snacks.

However, the fruit was not automatically put on the child's tray. If they wanted it, they took a piece. If they knew they were just going to throw it out, they did not take a piece. You have to offer the fruit. You don't have to force the child to take it.

The school you are referring to is not making the best of their resources if they are placing a piece of fruit on each tray only to have it thrown out. They need to just offer it. Then they would have a stash of fruit for snacks.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #30
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
I could have never survived on a tray lunch when I was in H.S. Even when I was in wrestling & trying to keep thin (105lb class as a freshman & 112lbs as a sophomore), my lunch was 3 sandwiches, 2 cartons of milk, and some sort of snack.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: