Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #31
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
I really try to avoid connections at all costs now. Even if it means paying more.
It is almost impossible anymore to get a direct flight if the flight is longer than about 800 miles, at least out of our airport. Everything has to go through the airlines hub city, so unless that hub city is your final destination, you have to use connections.

Some of connections are nuts now. I have family in the area of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, used to be able to go into Vancouver then across, or into Calgary and across, or into Salt Lake and over. Now you have to go to Minneapolis, 800 miles east, and 800 miles back, 1600 extra miles to get there.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #32
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
It is almost impossible anymore to get a direct flight if the flight is longer than about 800 miles, at least out of our airport. Everything has to go through the airlines hub city, so unless that hub city is your final destination, you have to use connections.
True and depending on the specific airline, it may result in flights with more direct flights or flights with a higher likelyhood of more connections. We find, based on where we live, that flying Southwest will most likely mean a connection for us, whereas flying Delta we stand a good chance of finding a direct flight. Granted, Delta tends to be a bit more expensive, but that is the tradeoff we're willing to make.

Also, some airports are notorious for late arrivals/departures more than others. We now try to research that as well when making a flight decision and plan accordingly.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #33
tasha99
DIS Veteran

In 1989, on my way back from a tour in Korea, I sat in a bar at San Fransisco airport waiting for my connecting flight to Monterey. I had a couple of hours to kill, and I met an older gentleman and started talking with him. It turned out he was a retired officer and had been the commander of 3rd MI, the unit I'd been stationed at in Korea. At first I thought he was BSing me, but he knew all the "places" and was clearly military, so I think he was telling the truth. A few hours later, I realized my flight had gone without me. It was the 80's, so they just put me on another plane.

DS22 missed his flight to Japan this year. He had flights on different tickets, and was given some bad information about waiting for lost luggage. Ticket 2 (Malaysia airlines) didn't care, and he had to buy a new ticket.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #34
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Missed my first flight this year! We got stuck in a 2-hour traffic jam on the way to the airport. JUST missed the flight.

They put us on another one the next morning for 50 bucks a ticket change fee. We had to get a hotel room for the night....we just tried to make the best of it.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #35
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

I've missed many. All but one were connecting flights that we missed because our previous flight was delayed. Only once did we have to spend a night in a hotel, paid for by the airline. That flight couldnt land in chicago due to a tornado...so they eventually landed in Madison WI. Spent the night there and were able to fly out the next day.

One I missed was completely my fault. We had just moved overseas, the kids and I had to leave Qatar and re-enter, to renew our visitor visas. Some people fly to Bahrain or Abu Dhabi and turn around an hour later and fly home. We had friends in Abu Dhabi, so we planned to spend one night. A travel agent at DHs company booked it for us. I looked at flight times, but not dates! When my 3 little kids and I arrived Friday night, we learned oyr tckets were for Thursday night! I was so upset! A few hours later they told us another airline had 4 seats, go ahead and board. We did! No extra cost, i dont think we even had boarding passes! I was just so relieved it worked out.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #36
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

YES! We were going to WDW for our honeymoon, all set to fly out of our small hometown airport to go to Pittsburg for the flight to FL. Our flight out of MD was supposed to be at 8 am. We got a phone call at 7, that our hometown flight was cancelled 'for weather issues'..(btw..it was clear and sunny!)..that we would have to get to PA by 9 for our flight. No way we could make it..we jumped in the car, drove to PA, found a long term parking lot, got to the ticket counter, and the flight had left 5 minutes earlier.
They knew it was their fault, since they tried telling us that it was a weather issue in PA also, but it was also clear and sunny there, so no idea what really happened..we think that we might have been the only 2 people scheduled on our home town flight and they didn't want to bother!..

This was US Airlines, btw....and they put us on the next flight they had, in first class (the ONE and only time I flew like that) , we landed in FL and the rest of our trip was event free. They also gave us $500 worth of vouchers for future flights.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #37
Rainman415
Earning My Ears

Haven't missed any, but my sister works for a major airline so we fly non-rev alot. Last year, early June, going Phoenix Chicago with my son and daughter, there were empty seats, but we couldn't get on because it was so hot, 117, they had to keep the weight of the aircraft down. So we missed 3 flights one day, then on the 4th flight, they had one seat. So I sent my daughter, she was 16 at the time, and my son and I had to stay another night. We finally got out on the 1st flight the next morning, 6am, before it heated up for the day. At least it was first class.

Me, Margaret(48) DH, Mark(47) DD, Kate(19) DS, Ryan(11) DDog, Holly(3)
Rainman415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #38
disykat
DIS Veteran

A few years ago our family of four was on vacation and got to the airport to come home and were told our flight had been rescheduled for an hour and a half earlier. It wasn't gone yet, but was leaving too soon for us to get through security and get on.

They were able to rebook us on another flight pretty easily, but we had quite a bit of trouble with the standby flights from our connecting airport since we'd missed that as well. I think it was Chicago/Seattle so there were lots of flights. Three of us ended up getting on the third flight we tried for. DH had to work the next day so he went with the kids on ahead and I stayed behind to wait for another flight. I got home a couple of hours later and took an airport shuttle bus to our town.

Our kids were young teens (13 and 15) so we'd done all the figuring on who could if there was one seat open, two seats open, three seats, etc. The flights were all so full that we were afraid that we'd be going one by one. It would have been a real problem if they were younger! As it was, we were planning on sending DH first then he'd wait at the airport and meet all the flights coming from that airport until he had our sons! They ended up all getting on the same flight, but it started with them taking one, then the next, then the next right before they shut the doors!

Last edited by disykat; 11-25-2012 at 04:19 PM.
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #39
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Connecting flight, yes.
Had to wait til the next day to get the connecting flight. Airline put us up in hotel.

Went to the wrong airport once But still managed to get on a flight.

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #40
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

I've missed two connecting flights due to weather delays. Both times they just put us onondaga different flights. The first one was from Chicago to Orlando. That was a straight flight. We arrived about three hours late - no biggie. The second time we were just ahead of a big storm, but our flight had to take off late out of Reno due to pilot hour rules (while I understood-I didn't really make a lot of sense because the pilot wasn't "resting" he was sitting in the **** pit waiting for the time to expire). We landed late in Phoenix, a big hub for U.S.Air, sense we we first class they put us on a flight leaving almost immediately to North Carolina with a quick layover to Orlando. The agent said we needed to "get out now before you get stuck for two days". We took it. I think we were only two hour later that trip. Not bad really.

We have never missed an originating flight. I'm too much of a nervous flier for that.
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #41
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
and if you did was it hard to get another ?

nope never missed one, but I came real real close a few times

Never missed a flight but I've had one cancelled on me and it wasn't fun at all getting another. The airline treated us so badly, I've not flown them since.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #42
BeachGirlFLA
DIS Veteran

No...I've never even come close.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #43
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor
I expect you to scrape an 'Acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my...displeasure."

The only flight we ever missed was coming back from St Lucia. Our flight was delayed because we were landing in Atlanta and it had snowed! Missed our connection, stayed in a hotel, then went back to the airport in the morning, scanned our boarding pass from the previous evening's flight and were given the info for our new flight.

I am always terrified that my alarm won't work and I will oversleep and miss my flight. 3 days away from a 7am flight, hoping that doesn't happen!!

If you have to ask, you will never know. If you know, you need only ask. ~ Rowena Ravenclaw

Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy. ~ Albus Dumbledore
N&B'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #44
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

We've missed connections (not our fault) but the only one we missed where we were at fault was last year. We printed the tickets at the hotel, crappy printer. I swear I thought it said 9:36, it really said 8:36. We got their just after it left. TOTALLY not the airlines' fault.

They would have put us right on the next flight (Denver to Atlanta= alot of options), EXCEPT, that was the day after Hurricane Irene hit, and we were headed to New England. Everything on the East Coast was shut down. They could get us to Detroit, but no promise of getting anywhere in New England.

Delta booked us on a flight 2 days later- no rebook fee- and also set us up with a hotel at their discount rate. They were incredibly nice to us, considering the whole thing was totally my fault. The gate agent said he was happy to help out, because I was so nice and didn't blame him. (I'm sure people do!)
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #45
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

I've missed a connecting flight because of weather delays on the first flight. Just went to the desk with everyone else & they booked us onto other flights which were also delayed due to bad weather.

It was a terrible weather day across the country, so I ended up getting to desitnation 8 hours later, and with an extra stop & plane change. And lost luggage which arrived next morning at my hotel. I was still happy to be there & see DH before they shipped out for a 1 year deployment. I didn't care what time I arrived & that I had no clothes to wear.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: