Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

Lightbulb Do you think this is a good excersizer?

I've wanted to get one for a while, but I don't like the big ones. They clutter up space. I like something I can use while watching tv. lol.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Marcy-Mini...roduct+Reviews

I'm also getting a pink mini stepper on ebay. I also have stretch bands and weights already.

I figure this way, I can get back into a good excersize program without having to brave the cold and go to the gym. lol.
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Not really? Even a full-size exercise bike burns less calories and provides less aerobic intensity than a treadmill, rower, or elliptical. This portable thing won't even offer much tension and one of the reviews states it moves too much to be used properly.

If you don't want any larger equipment inside your home, you'd probably be better off buying an actual bicycle for treks around your neighborhood than that tiny thing.

Have you looked into any local gyms? When my old gym shut down, I bought some very expensive cardio equipment for my house, but just couldn't get into a routine with it. I discovered I actually thrive off the gym atmosphere, as it encourages me to push myself more. I joined Anytime Fitness, and there are gyms in that vein popping up all over the country, with a 24/7 operating schedule and relatively low cost.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I don't have room for large equipment. I have gone back to curves and am loving it. Makes me have to get out of the house.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

That thing isn't going to do anything for you. You need something that will get your heart rate up and it won't do that. I would suggest investing in a treadmill or eliptical or just force yourself to go to the gym or a class or 2 a week and not use excuses like the cold weather. I go right to the gym or jiu jitsu class right from work so I don't put myself in the position of coming home and then not wanting to go back out in the cold.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

It wouldn't be something I would pick personally.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Here is an article re: this type of machine on LiveStrong. While it serves a purpose, it really is not for a good cardio workout and is more geared for the over 65 age group.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/29...-good-workout/
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Actually no. You need cardio and weight bearing exercise. (To protect bone strength) you are actually better off just walking than using the exercise equipment you describe. If you are new to exercise, I will agree with a PP and try Curves, or join a gym and schedule a session with a trainer that can help you set up a routine.

The resistance bands and equipment you are describing will offer you very little in terms of fitness. They are the kind of things that are used in my mother's senior classes to maintain mobility. She is 76 and she walks on the treadmill 20 Mins 5 days a week.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Maggie Lizer
DIS Veteran

You can get some Zumba DVDs or maybe an Urban Rebounder, if you do not want to splurge for a good treadmill. The only person I know who has ever used one of those bicycle things was my 80 year old grandmother.

First trip with DS2 4/29 - 5/8/14.

Maggie Lizer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: