Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
low-key
DIS Veteran

Have you ever missed a flight

and if you did was it hard to get another ?

nope never missed one, but I came real real close a few times
Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Nope, never.

Work in the field with people who do, and boy it is NOT fun
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

My husband misses flights alot when he travels.
He gets times mixed up or just cut it too close and miss the flight. He's never had a problem getting another.

I've told him to set his alarm on his phone with the time he needs to get to the gate and then another alarm with the time he should actually be there but he never does.

When we do family trips, this isn't a problem because I watch the time closely.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Missed a flight one time due to oversleeping. Almost missed more flights than I can count.

The flight we missed was my husband an I out of Newark to Jamaica. We woke up when the flight was due to take off - yeah not making that one! We were able to get on another flight that same day.

I hate early morning flights - they ruin the whole day.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommasita View Post
Nope, never.

Work in the field with people who do, and boy it is NOT fun

if you miss a connection flight thats not your fought, will the airline comp you a hotel if they cant get you there right away
Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Never missed a flight personally, but I have heard people say "we just caught a later one." Not to ask a dumb question, but do you have to pay for a whole new plane ticket? Wouldn't it be awfully expensive to miss a flight? How does that work?
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
Never missed a flight personally, but I have heard people say "we just caught a later one." Not to ask a dumb question, but do you have to pay for a whole new plane ticket? Wouldn't it be awfully expensive to miss a flight? How does that work?
I wonder that too
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
They put us on stand-by for the next flight out free of charge.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

So do I, never.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
shortbun
Peacenik

Woke up once at the very minute my flight was scheduled to depart. It was 35 years ago and back then, they just put you on whatever they had when you got there. I've missed a ton of connections but instead of standing in line, I always get on the phone with the airline and have my flights booked when I show up at the gate.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Duffy Lover
My Babies Love Their Disney Bears

I have "never" missed a flight (I had one where we were so delayed by a connecting flight we "technically" missed it but that had nothing to do with over sleeping or just making a personal mistake). I have friends who came out west (Colorado Rocky Mountains) for a wedding in 2011 who missed a flight because they showed up at the airport only 45 minutes before departure time. They seriously did not know that was not enough time to make a flight after checking in and going through security... Really... Anyways they complained to their airline - of course they felt it wasn't their fault - and were not charged when they were given seats on a sold out flight for later that day...

I was quite amused when they told us the story and let them know they really got some good customer service when they got a "free" flight change in return... My hubby and I let them know how good they really had it with their mistake, so hopefully they learned they really should be at the airport more than one hour (really 75 minuts when checking in) in advance to a flight...

CR '80 ** POLY '84 ** FW '91 ** POFQ '04~Last trip w/Gramps ** POP '07~E's 1st Trip ** GF & SOG '08~(Not My)Disney Wedding ** POFQ '08~BIG Family Vacation ** POP '09~Just the Girls ** BCV '10~1 Night @WDW ** OKW GV '11~C's 1st Trip ** BLT/OKW '12~Surprise For My Girls ** SSR '14 ~ 60 Hours of WDW** 2014 ~ BCV/OKW/VGF! A Two Week Grand Villa Extravaganza!! (Link to the Trip Report)
Duffy Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Jen414
Mouseketeer

I almost missed a flight coming home from spring break in Cancun in 1992. Really, I'm not even sure how we made it onto the flight, but thank goodness we did. I missed a flight coming home from Europe when I was much younger. I made my Dublin to London flight, but since the connection had changed (and for some reason, I hadn't even thought to check on it) I missed my London to Boston connection, although my bags made it. Of course, that would never happen today. I actually cried because they originally told me I wouldn't be able to get another flight to Boston until the next day. I was exhausted after having done the "backpack across Europe on a dime" thing for 5 weeks and begged them to just get me to the US and I'd figure it out from there. I ended up in 1st class on a Virgin Atlantic flight to NYC. (no charge) When we got there, they would not let me leave the international luggage area until everyone was off the plane and all bags were claimed. This was a huge jumbo jet, so it took a long time. I was dying as there were no pay phones in the area and I just knew that my father was waiting at Logan in Boston. I finally got to leave and then begged many airline counter ticket agents to get me to Boston. One finally did. (again, no charge) My husband and I have run through the airport several times but made it by the skin of our teeth.
CSR July 2007
OKW August 2008
CBR August 2009
POR August 2010
CSR August 2011
POR August 2013
Jen414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
dislaney
faithlovepixiedust

We've missed more than one.. I haven't missed any lately, thankfully! It used to be pretty easy to just get on the next flight. With the way the airlines overbook now, I'd hate to have to try that now.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

I've missed one flight - big accident caused lots of traffic on the way to the airport. They rebooked me for a later flight and didn't charge me anything - I think that's pretty standard procedure. Of course, you very well might be standby and not get on if there aren't any seats left.

As for missed connections, if it's the airlines fault (mechanical or crew issues) they'll put you up in a hotel. If the delay was due to weather, they won't do anything for you and your on your own to find and pay for a hotel. Of course, there are exceptions, but they'll almost never pay for weather related issues.
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Most airlines have an informal "flat tire" policy. If you can get to the airport with a hour or so of your flight, they'll often waive any fees and try to put you on a later flight. It will most likely be standby. And it might not even be for the same day. But in most cases you won't have to pay for a whole new ticket.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: