Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
dznygurl
Mouseketeer

All three kids must make me a list with prices and, if possible, which store to find each item. The little one can cut and paste a Word document very well. I choose gifts from their lists. My youngest still believes in Santa, so my excuse for the list is bc I do the shopping from the grandparents as well. Their lists also help when their aunts call for ideas. So they all pretty much know what they will get, but I always manage to slip a couple of surprises in there. While at WDW last week, my oldest wanted some cologne from Epcot (France.) I bought it with the understanding that it goes under the tree. So one gift is bought for him already

1989 1st trip to WDW
2000 POFQ (Thanksgiving)
2002 POR (4th of July)
2006 Silver Lakes Resort (Mardi Gras)
2009 Windsor Hills (Mardi Gras)
2010 AKL (just the girls)
2012 AoA (Thanksgiving)
dznygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #17
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

We knew a lot when we were older but mom always found special little surprises that meant a lot. Sometimes little random things but little things we knew that she really knew us.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
shortbun
Peacenik

Yep

My son just came in and told me to go on Best Buy's website where I could get a Blue Ray collection of Lord of the Rings DVD's for $49.99, regularly $129.99. He told me they were store pickup and where I would need to pick them up. I ordered them. He's getting a watch that will be a suprise. Also, purchased two pair of sweat pants thus far. He'll probably get some cash and wall art as he just redecorated his room. He says he wants vintage, framed, Batman posters. Wish me luck.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #19
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post
I have two boys. They are 15 & 17. It is damn near impossible to figure out what they want for Christmas. I always ask them for a list of things that they'd like to have and then I choose a few things off of that list to buy.

So far my youngest is asking for computer parts so he can build his own gaming computer. Things like, modem, keyboard, speakers, headphones, etc.

My oldest has given me a list with a vest, boots and Carhartt sweatshirts on it.

Anyhow, back to my original question. My youngest found a really good online bundle deal for some of his computer parts that he wants. Apparently it was one of those "one day only" type of deals. It really was a good deal and after asking him if he was 100% sure he wanted it, we decided to make the purchase. So basically, he knows that he's getting that stuff.

My MIL usually gives each of her grandkids $100 cash. This year though, my oldest said he wanted one of those "bubble" vests. Not sure what the actual name of it is though. She asked him if he would rather have the money or the vest and he chose the vest. So she gave us the money so we could pick out the vest while we were at Cabelas yesterday. So now, he will know ahead of time what he's getting from grandma.

I know it's not a big deal. But I'm one of those people who love surprises and love to see other people's reaction when they open a gift that they're not sure what it is. You know what I mean?

I even told my youngest son that I hate that he knows what a couple of his gifts are and he agreed. He says that he'd rather not know but it was too good of a deal to not grab that bundle deal. LOL

So do your children know ahead of time what any of their gifts are? Or do you like to keep it all a secret until that day?

What about putting the gifts under the tree once they're wrapped? My boys don't want to see the gifts under the tree until Christmas morning. I'd rather have it that way too.
yeah my ds is only 10-hasn't believed in Santa since he was 8 and he basically knows exactly what he's getting. Honestly it kinda bums me out, but on the other hand I don't want to spend money on stuff he doesn't want nor will use.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #20
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

I tend to know as my list only ever has a couple of things on it. I really wish it would be a surprise but I work so if I see something during the year I buy it. Need to hold off & ask for Christmas.

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #21
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

For the past couple years my daughter (12) has known some of what she was getting. I wouldn't buy her Uggs without her picking out the style she liked and trying them on last year and she had to try on the north face jacket too. The ipad WAS a surprise though because I kept telling her she was not getting that everytime she asked for one! So some things are a surprise and others are not. She has an amazon wish list for family and friends that want to buy her gifts.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #22
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

My kids are 19, 21, 24 and 28. Since we do a big family vacation in lieu of extravagant Christmas presents they do know what their big gift is each year, they just don't know where wer're going until Christmas Day. The little stuff is mostly a surprise.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #23
Patience
DIS Veteran

My 18 year old lets me know what she wants and I usually buy most of it but not when she's present. I also buy a few surprises. The LL Bean boots and the Michael Kors watch she is getting were all picked out by her and she also picked out a pink life proof case for her iPhone. She pointed out a necklace she liked when we were out shopping and I went back later and bought it for her. The rest of her presents will be surprises. I am giving her a gift certificate to have her teeth professionally whitened and she has no idea about it. I know she will love it.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #24
bethbuchall
Had to make sure she was in Disney World on her 40th

My oldest is 21, and I've needed some pretty specific ideas from him for a couple of years. This is the first year, though, that both he and my daughter (19) know exactly what they are getting. In fact, my daughter already has hers, and it won't even be under the tree. It makes me a little sad, but it was a deal that we couldn't pass up. My youngest is 13. He'll give me a list but won't know what he's getting until Christmas. I'll try to come up with some little surprises for the older two, but they know that their choices are at least 95% of their Christmas presents and are ok with that.

We don't put any of the presents under the tree until Santa comes late on Christmas Eve.

bethbuchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

DS (soon to be 16) pretty much knows what most of his gifts will be, for both birthday and Christmas (bday is in Dec. also).

I took him shopping last weekend at Ross and told him to pick out some stuff. He is pretty picky when it comes to clothes, and I wanted to make sure he would wear them.

Not only did we have some fun mother/son time, but he also got some much needed retail therapy. He now has to wait to get them, and they were split up between birthday and Christmas.

His big gift is always given to him on his birthday instead of Christmas. This year it is an Ipad. He suspects he is getting one, but does not know for sure. I ordered it refurbished from Apple.com a few weeks ago. He will be thrilled!

I am just about done shopping for him. Stocking stuffers and a couple smaller items (gift cards) and I will be totally done.

Driving lessons will be done in the summer, unless he works at camp. He is not super eager to start driving yet. But I know as soon as he starts lessons he will be.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #26
DawnM
Dawn

yes, they know. I told them I could surprise them, but they opted to pick their own games, etc....

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #27
married2mm
DIS Veteran

my kids all know what they're getting for christmas, however they're still excited,which is nice. 25,19,15.

we used to have lists, but like pp's kids know themselves where best deals are etc. so generally they've sought games,clothes etc. out and we order/ pay.

we have little surprises for stockings, eg candy,toiletries but nothing expensive as they're simply gifts for the sake of it, rather than what they really want.

case in point-dd found a bag in ds room,last week, which contained previous years unused christmas gifts.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #28
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

When my older kids were in their teens I used to ask them for a list. I'd take DD19 shopping at the mall for clothes--she would try on stuff and rate it for me; next day, I'd return to the mall and buy the things that i liked, knowing that she would also like them.

Now that they are 19 & 26, they really don't want me picking out their clothes and stuff. And their needs are so different, it really is hard to buy for them. So we give each one a sizable check, to be used as they see fit. DS26 is moving into a new house in December and he will need lots of things. DD19 starts her culinary classes in January and she will have to buy her knife set ($450~!) so that's probably where her money will go.

Christian is the easiest to buy for. He doesn't "get" Christmas. All he's interested in is the cookies and cupcakes, the crunchy wrapping paper, and the tree lights. Otherwise, he could care less. So we save a LOT of money on him at Christmas! (Lest anyone think I am too cold-hearted, we do buy him a couple of toys, some snacks for school, warm clothes and PJs.)

ETA: I do like to give "experiences" rather than objects. Since my young adults are not established well yet(they don't get much vacation time, nor do they have much expendable cash), I like to invite them to do things with us. Last year it was a Caribbean cruise. This year it was a one night trip to a special light show. So, it's not always a terribly expensive thing. But it makes them feel like they're still included (which, of course, they are!)

Last edited by minkydog; 11-25-2012 at 10:10 AM.
minkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #29
DISshopkeeper
Had 3 topplings over the years
I'm always on the lookout for Goofy stuff for the DISshop!!

My "kids" 26 and 24 have been providing me "lists" for years, in e-mail, with links.

That's the way I like it! I use the list as a jumping off point, and ALWAYS get some surprises. They actually told me I was good at the surprises.
DISshopkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #30
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Well, we thought we were going to get DS17 a laptop, and I mentioned it to him. In the meantime, we have kind of decided against it for now. Ooops. But, instead, I think we are getting iPhones for the family, and that is something he has been wanting for a LONG LONG time. Apparently, he is the only kid in HS with a "dumb" phone.

Neither of my kids know about the iPhones, and we won't tell them. I did pick up a sweater that my DS17 wanted, and a sweatshirt that the 13 year old has been asking for. They don't know about them, but they technically chose them.

DS17 also asked me to get him gift cards to Dunkin Donuts, Subway, and the movies. He doesn't have a job yet, and he needs a way to finance his social life- so these are good ones for him. He will be very happy with all three!!

I think we are going to get Broadway tix too- and I'm not sure how we will get around not telling the older one. He is heavily involved in school theatre, and weekend practices for the spring musical start in January. He can't miss. I guess I can email the director to see which weekend might be good for us to take our kids to NYC.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: