Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
coinkc
You can find some hot dates at Six Flags St. Louis!

Buying a guitar - need some info

My teenager has decided she would like a guitar for Christmas. She just wants to play around on it for fun - nothing serious. I know nothing about guitars!

My biggest question is as I'm doing some research, it seems like there are "classical" guitars and "acoustic". Can someone explain the difference to me? Is one easier to play than the other?

Would appreciate any advice! Thanks!
coinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I'm by no means an expert, but I can tell you a few things:

Classical and acoustic serve different purposes. Classical guitars are used for instrumental music where fingers are used to pick the strings. Think "Christmas guitar", "Elevator" , Flamenco, some folk, or just plain Classical type music. Strings are made of nylon, have a softer sound, etc.

Acoustic guitars have steel or nickel strings and produce a louder sound. These strings are typically played with a pick (or fingers). Think Simon and Garfunkel, Taylor Swift, pre-electric Dylan, 12-year-old YouTube Justin Beiber, etc.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8fpgZbFKA

I would assume your child wants an acoustic or maybe even electric guitar. Not classical.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

If she is into Pop or Rock music, I'd suggest an acoustic over a classical. The differences are many, for example on a classical guitar the strings are farther apart, but the main difference is in their purpose. A classical guitar would be fine for someone who wanted to seriously study music, specifically classical.

You can find some great buys on beginner acoustics at Guitar Center and Musician's Friend. Just be sure not to get her anything too poor in quality, because she may get discouraged and want to give it up.

The guitar I received as a teenager from my parents is still my favorite Christmas present of that I've ever received.

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
mamamary
DIS Veteran

For what it's worth when my son took a guitar class in school last year they required a classical guitar.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

I'm joining in on the thread, as I am also having to buy a guitar for my dd. She has started lessons, and is playing very enthusiastically! She is borrowing a friend's guitar (the friend now owns five of them) for now. I'd like one that is pretty decent so that if she continues, I won't have to buy another. The music store is suggesting a Bedell, but I really know nothing about price range, or what to look for. I'd say I have a tin ear, but I sure can tell when a guitar is out of tune, and the one she's using only satays in tune for about three minutes.
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure how guitar enthusiasts feel about them, but I have a Daisy Rock guitar that I love. My teacher recommended it because I have short fingers and they are built for girls with the neck a bit smaller and body a little easier to manage. They also come in girly colors and shapes (although my husband has one that is suitably cool for a male). check out their website, really cute stuff!

www.daisyrock.com

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

My DD got a guitar a few years back, I got her a Daisy Rock guitar because she has small hands, wanted acoustic and wanted a purple guitar. The DR has been great.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
RitaE
DIS Veteran

My oldest son got into guitars several years ago and we've had excellent luck finding good instruments at local pawn stores.

He actually found his instructor there too because once we started buying him guitars he started talking to the guy selling them and found out he offered lessons.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
shortbun
Peacenik

Accoustic would be what I'd get a beginner because metal strings really hurt my fingers when I was starting. I now play an accoustic and so does my son. Later, if the player excels, better and more diverse guitars can be added to their collection. Most guitar players have several guitars.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

It quality of the guitar does make a difference on how easy or not it is to play. Personally, I've had good luck with Fender guitars both acoustic and electric.
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

A $3000 Fender, Gibson, or Martin certainly isn't necessary, but it does pay to pay a decent amount for a guitar. The cheap junk is a big factor in the fact that many people pick up a guitar to try and then just give up.

Certainly don't waste your money on anything sold in a store such as Target or Walmart. The guitars in Target even have the Fender name on them, but they are junk and unplayable.

It will be difficult starting out with painful finger tips because the finger tips need to begin to develop a callus on them. That and eventually learning the proper techniques for fingering the fretboard eventually makes it easier.

An electric guitar is a bit easier to learn at first because the strings are generally thinner and don't have as much tension as on an acoustic. It can also be practiced without making a lot of sound because it can be practiced unplugged. That saves a bit on the rest of the family.

There are tons of free resources online to learn a good bit on the guitar from forums, sites, and youtube videos.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

If you go to a music store they generally have some decent quality, relatively inexpensive (~ $150) "starter sets" that include a guitar, a soft case and some picks. (Electric includes a small amp.) Both of my kids started off with those (acoustic and electric), along with lessons. The thing is, you don't want to break the bank if they're not going to stick with it, at least at first. But as pp's said, you don't want to get totally cheap to start, either.

Last year for Christmas we got DD15 got a nicer Yamaha acoustic electric (her preference after trial and error) at one of the music stores we go to. It's a really nice guitar with beautiful sound. It was around $400. We wouldn't have gotten one that nice had she not shown she could stick with it and appreciate and care for it. (The beginning guitars got pretty banged up when they were younger, though it was good they were used every day.)

One thing I didn't realize at the outset was that strings have to be changed often. You also need to pick up a digital tuner (I think there's a tuner App on some of the smartphones now). Good luck, let us know what you get!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I vote acoustic also. It is what I learned to play on. I have had several throughout the years, all Gibson. But that is my preference. A guitar around $150 is a good place to start.

But if she is just going to play around for fun, no lessons, then the classical will be less painful to play at first. But teachers say not to start on those because it is hard to make the transition from classical to acoustic.
java is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: