Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Need suggestions leftover veggie platter.

I purchased two large veggie platters and have tons of leftovers. I would like to make dinner with them, soup and or maybe a veggie stirfry minus the wok.

I have carrots, celery, sweet peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and cherry tomatoes.

I was thinking a beef based vegetable soup but the recipes I find don't utilize the veggies I have.

So any suggestions. I will most likely just throw out the dips that came with them since we actually prefer our veggies without them.

I only paid $3.99 each as they were close to date so I need to make the dinner in the next few days.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have beef, chicken, and sausage etc.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
ENSOCK
DIS Veteran

What about roasted? Spread on a pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven about 1 hour. I also like to mix the oil with balsalic vinagor.

Tina
ENSOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Soup. Chuck em all in the crock-pot with some stock for a few hours, blend with stick blender = soup. I do it on a saturday morning to use up all of the leftover veggies in my fridge!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Definatly a stir sry! I wouldn't put the tomatos in but other then that you have the perfect veggies. Simply sautee them on med-high heat for a few minutes (add some onion if you have them). Serve them over rice. If you want to make a quick sauce sautee some garlic in olive oil, add some soy sauce, rice vinegar, veggie broth, honey, ginger, seamae oil ect. Any or all of these will make a great sauce.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
Definatly a stir sry! I wouldn't put the tomatos in but other then that you have the perfect veggies. Simply sautee them on med-high heat for a few minutes (add some onion if you have them). Serve them over rice. If you want to make a quick sauce sautee some garlic in olive oil, add some soy sauce, rice vinegar, veggie broth, honey, ginger, seamae oil ect. Any or all of these will make a great sauce.
Agree with the above ~ chicken stir fry or just leave it veggie.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Tinker'n'Fun

I believe I have enough to do a soup in the crockpot and the stir fry.

I have a few questions. When doing the soup, by blending, does this make it more of a bisque? Do you add any spices with it? I have chicken broth also left over and onions for both.

So for the soup, I would add the veggies and take out the seeds from the tomatoes and just let it go. Nothing else. When cooked, blend. I am on a new diet so this does appeal to me, not sure the kids would eat it. Would anyone else think that the veggies should be cooked in a beef broth and have veggie soup? Do those veggies mix?

For the stir fry, I am going to do this tomorrow and actually I am excited about it. The tomatoes will be gone and I will use more peppers here than in the soup.

I get the cut the veggies put in a little oil (I only have Olive oil is this ok?) and then I need to make a sauce. I DO NOT have anything in the house like sesame oil etc. I only have the little packets of sauce from our chinese place and some chili sauce (its sweet/spicy, not sure the proper name). I have marinade sauce. So I am a bit concerned about the sauce.

Can anyone offer up a very simple but very tasty sauce. Just let me know about ingredients and I look to see what I have.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Fondue. Buy a loaf of bread to cube an dip too! They sell fondue already made. It's delicious.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

For the stir fry, yes olive oil is fine to sautee the veggies. You don't really need a sauce, if you have only little packets of soy sauce that will work on it's own. You can also add black pepper, garlic powder or ginger if you have it. A little chicken/beef broth mixed with the soy sauce will make a nice sauce as well. You really can't mess up a stir fry
Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Tinker'n'Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
For the stir fry, yes olive oil is fine to sautee the veggies. You don't really need a sauce, if you have only little packets of soy sauce that will work on it's own. You can also add black pepper, garlic powder or ginger if you have it. A little chicken/beef broth mixed with the soy sauce will make a nice sauce as well. You really can't mess up a stir fry
Thank you. I am going to make the soup after I get the answers I need then I am going to use all the rest for the stir fry. I have the little packets and chicken broth. I will add garlic. I have fresh that I can roast or use as it and I also have the chopped garlic in the fridge. So ginger is the only thing missing, but I hope that doesn't make it bad.

Now just keep a good thought that it works. It will be my first stir fry not pre-done.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

The stir fry will taste great like that, stir frys and soups are both very forgiving.

For the soup I would sautee some onion, celery and carrots in olive oil or butter for 5 min or so. Than I would add broth, bring to a boil and add the rest of the veggies. Simmer for 15-20 min until all veggies are tender. At this point you can blend or not, depends if you want a chunky or smooth soup.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

I have never used a recipe for beef soup. Put water in a pot, add your beef, onions, garlic, salt, and a bay leaf. I usually add a couple of large cans of petite diced tomatoes, but I get you could use your fresh ones, too, if you chop them up. Slice up all your veggies, toss 'em in. Simmer for about 3 hours. That's it! I don't use any flavor packets or bouillion. YUM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Tinker'n'Fun

Thanks everyone. I decided to live wild and am using a few suggestions.

I am roasting all the veggies for the soup now. I have the carrots, some celery, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet peppers, and tomatoes. I seeded the peppers and tomatoes. I put a small amount of olive oil and seasonings. I will take them from there and put them in the crock pot with some stock. I plan on puree it at the end to make a smooth soup.

Tomorrow I will use the rest of the veggies and make the stir fry.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

This is popular at my husbands fire station and now at our house. They call it Stump salad.

Chop broccoli, carrots, onions and peppers. These are my favorite vegies for this, but you can add whatever you like. Fry and chop bacon. Mix it all together with mayo, to your preferred consistency. Serve in pita bread or roll in a flour tortilla. I like to add sunflower seeds on top of mine.

It is delicious and leftovers are awesome.
disneyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
shortbun
Peacenik

got any ginger for your stir fry? steam some rice. soy sauce from the packets when the veggies are almost done, just let it steam in the bottom with a little chicken broth you hold from the soup. onions first, then put in the rest of it. don't stir fry too long, veggies are meant to be crunchy. Ginger is a good thing in this dish, I prefer fresh but some ground would be ok-use it gingerly. hahaha

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: