Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
Yes, you can walk to the McDonalds near AllStars from the resotr property. The mousekeepers do too as that is where their parking lot must be as they are always walking back & forth & crossing at the light. Sports would be closest to McDonalds. $500/week is very steep for a rental car, however, I would keep checking as you get closer. I have found the price to drop significantly as you get closer to your arrival date. I have re-booked reservations on way to airport for best pricing. Usually, but not always, airport fees & taxes make picking up car on WDW property much less expensive & with National & Alamo, that I know of, you can return at airport without paying a drop fee.
Thanks for the info. As long as I know there is a sidewalk, we can do this.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Even so, it's probably about a $30-$40 round trip cab ride.
From All Star Sports to that McDonalds, it's more in the range of a $4 or $4.50 cab ride.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
From All Star Sports to that McDonalds, it's more in the range of a $4 or $4.50 cab ride.
I was quoting from the Polynesian. I thought she said she was staying there.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the help, everyone. On our non-park day, we will take a bus to the All Stars and walk up to McDonalds. Unless the car rental rates come down between now and March, in which case we can go every day to McD's.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM View Post
there is still a McDonalds out by the AllStars Resorts. Near Blizzard Beach, just off Osceola Pkwy.

I was really wondering if that is walkable from All Stars.
It is not walkable. It's not far down the road maybe a mile or so but there are no sidewalks by the resort (at least none that I saw the two times I stayed there) and walking by the side of the road is also a no go as 1. you don't want to be hiking through the grassy areas because that's where the snakes live and 2. you can't walk on the roads as there are blind areas and cars traveling at high speed.

There IS a McD's at the airport. Pre buy some nuggets or bugers and microwave them later is the only alternative to a cab.

However they DO sell burger and fries at the food courts and you could just let him eat that, with a stop at McD's airport the two times you are there.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

You CAN walk to McDonalds
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
It is not walkable. It's not far down the road maybe a mile or so but there are no sidewalks by the resort (at least none that I saw the two times I stayed there) and walking by the side of the road is also a no go as 1. you don't want to be hiking through the grassy areas because that's where the snakes live and 2. you can't walk on the roads as there are blind areas and cars traveling at high speed.

There IS a McD's at the airport. Pre buy some nuggets or bugers and microwave them later is the only alternative to a cab.

However they DO sell burger and fries at the food courts and you could just let him eat that, with a stop at McD's airport the two times you are there.
Are you thinking of All Star Sports or somewhere else? All Star Sports to McDonald's is definitely walkable, and there are sidewalks and crosswalks. It's a busy route. We didn't walk it but when we were there I remember noticing it and thinking it would not be a bad walk at all.
You can take a look at the route on Google Earth.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is not walkable.

Yes, it is walkable. We made the trip more than once the last time we stayed at All Star Sports. I can't for the life of me remember if there were sidewalks, but I can tell you that we not only walked with others going there but passed many other people coming and going as well. It was actually a busy route.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
However they DO sell burger and fries at the food courts and you could just let him eat that

Sorry, but that is NOT how it works with autism. If only it were that easy!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #25
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
Sorry, but that is NOT how it works with autism. If only it were that easy!
I almost suggested asking your local Mcdonald's for a few bags, and wrappers, and then buying food court food, and doctoring it up to look like McDonald's, but it depends on how obsessive the child is. I could probably fool my ASD kiddo, but it's not one of her obsessive interests.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb1 View Post
I almost suggested asking your local Mcdonald's for a few bags, and wrappers, and then buying food court food, and doctoring it up to look like McDonald's, but it depends on how obsessive the child is. I could probably fool my ASD kiddo, but it's not one of her obsessive interests.
DS is age 24 and, although autistic, always up for adventure. There isn't a food court at the DVC where we are staying, so as long as we can walk it, we will. Looking forward to it. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #27
livndisney
DIS Veteran

There is also a Mc Donald's at the end of Hotel Plaza (opposite end from Downtown Disney.) The is a sidewalk all the way and people do walk it. You could also catch a cab from dtd.

For what it is worth, I see people walking to the Mcdonalds by the Allstars all the time. Housekeeping has a parking lot right there.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #28
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM

DS is age 24 and, although autistic, always up for adventure. There isn't a food court at the DVC where we are staying, so as long as we can walk it, we will. Looking forward to it. Thanks for all your help.
If you don't mind which Dvc are you staying at while your in Disney.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #29
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
If you don't mind which Dvc are you staying at while your in Disney.
We are going to stay at the Villas of Wilderness Lodge. Excited to be across the lake from DS's favorite park, the Magic Kingdom. We bought DVC points with his "college fund" about 9 years ago, when it became apparent he would not be going to college. Have not regretted a minute of that choice.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #30
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM

We are going to stay at the Villas of Wilderness Lodge. Excited to be across the lake from DS's favorite park, the Magic Kingdom. We bought DVC points with his "college fund" about 9 years ago, when it became apparent he would not be going to college. Have not regretted a minute of that choice.
That great I was seeing if your staying at ssr or okw then you could get to the one near dtd. But the one by all starts looks nicer and be closer.

So for it to be easy I take the boat to mk and then transfer to all star bus from mk. The other option is to catch the Dhs bus or dtd and then transfer to the all star bus.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: