Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
phamton
Proud Redhead
My husband is right...It is all about me!Shooting your own exhaust is like cheating at solitaire

DISboards Moderator

For those who complain about crowd control

I've seen a few threads about crowd control at Mardi Gras, etc. so I wanted to share an experience I had at the "other" park on Wednesday, Nov. 7th. I took my daughter and 2 grandkids to Magic Kingdom. We watched the Electrical Parade and were staying for the Wishes fireworks an hour later. This is typically the slower season and had not anticipated any problems. But we got stuck in a crowd on the sidewalk in front of the Ice Cream store (across the street from Casey's.) We could not move even an inch to get to the restroom. We were stuck, I kid you not, for 25 minutes with no one able to move. This was not on the street but the sidewalk in front of the ice cream shop.

People were having panic attacks, kids were screaming from fear. No one could move either in or out of that crowd and the crowd was at a complete standstill. I had a grandchild crying to go to the restroom and I could not walk 10 feet to get around the corner of the ice cream shop to get to the restroom that is beside it. It was downright scary! There was not one castmember directing traffic or trying to get the crowd to move off the sidewalk. I know most of the people were waiting for the fireworks but that should have been on the street and not blocking the entire sidewalk. I have never seen so many people squished together who could not move an inch.

I know this is off topic but I did not want to post it on the other forum because it is not intended to be a bashing of Disney or even a "Universal is better than Disney thread." I think all of the parks have some issues with crowd control and I'm not sure how they can address this.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i know what you are talking about by what you described as "crowds" at the motherland.

i have been stuck in them too before and it isn't any fun.

like you said, trying to leave without CM help, is scary or impossible.

i stopped going to any theme parks during holiday periods.
i can't deal with those type of crowds.

the last time i had the experience at the MK holiday Wishes time period, the CM's had a very difficult time trying to deal with the crowd control.

trying to create a path for those to leave, didn't work the night i was there.

i go with adults, i can image how upsetting it could be for parents with littles with them.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Had this EXACT thing happen years back- it was VERY scary. We still go to WDW every year and Universal- but have NEVER stayed for wishes or Electrical parade again. We were thinking of trying again this year- but up front by the exit. If there is no room there...we will leave. Will not leave at that time ever again.

2014 CBR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Sounds terrifying...especially with young kids. Thanks for the heads up.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

This is why I always watch Wishes from the best seats in the house- the resort docks! :D
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Yes, thanks for the heads up.
I had this exact thing happen to me about 7 years ago after a Mardi Gras in San Francisco. I was crushed and unable to move amongst an increasingly angry mob of people for about quarter of an hour.
I have had crowd-related anxiety issues ever since. In busy, crowded areas I become very stressed.

I know now to pick my position for Wishes very carefully.

WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: