Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #76
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
There isnt any difference. Like I stated above, where is the outrage against the gas stations, the movie theaters, the NFL, the bars, the restaurants, the country clubs.
Add to that the airports, theme parks, hotels, all operating on full tilt and not on a reduced service schedule.

Last I heard no one was complaining about the airlines, Disney, or Universal should be shut down out of respect for those workers and the "sacred" holiday.

Again, where is the uproar over other just as important holidays...Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and ALL the stores being open then. All very meaningful holidays to those living in this country - or shame on you if they're not. Shouldn't they be held to the same sacred criteria as Thanksgiving? Shouldn't those days be off limits as well?

Responding to a comment upthread somewhere. The whole world isn't against families getting together. That's misguided blame. The family controls that - plain and simple. You can have your Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving, or on Friday, next Sunday afternoon or not at all. All by choice rather than a sale ad of open hours. Don't blame Walmart or other retailers.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #77
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
Really? I'm 45 and I always remember 7-11's being open 24 hours.

I don't know about China, but my DH works IT and works with people from all over the globe and they are ALWAYS whining and complaining about having to work. Heck, half the time they just don't show up and my DH ends up working for them. He worked Thanksgiving, will work Christmas, and got an email from someone in Manila the other day asking him to cover for them for New Year's Eve. But these same people won't EVER cover for him. The only ones that seem to show up to work on time and not whine and complain are the Americans.
Yep, I know of a huge company that stopped outsourcing IT because they were terrible. There would be four guys sitting around a computer trying to solve the simplest problem, with their manager hovering. All of them getting paid for one person's work. So glad executive management got smart and brought those jobs back to the USA.

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #78
jgh
Peter Pan!

I feel sad for those who have to work on holidays. I know some people have to, and I know some people couldn't care less about the holidays, but it doesn't stop me from feeling bad about it.

I will NOT shop on Thanksgiving, ever, period. It's so sad to me that people are opening up for black Friday sales on Thanksgiving now.

I have had a job that made me work holidays, even though we were NOT busy at all (like 10 people the whole night)...it was a large chain petstore. They had us working late Christmas Eve with no one coming in...we just sat at the registers. It furiates me to no end. We all wanted to be home with our families. I also had to work 14 hours Christmas Sunday without pay and a half because it wasn't a recognized holiday. They literally put me on the schedule for every holiday because other people would ask off. Thankfully they were actually closed Thanksgiving and Christmas day. I finally got fed up with it and I did put in my two weeks. I'm so grateful that I now have a Monday-Friday job that recognizes weekday holidays.

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #79
FigmentFinder
DIS Veteran

Someone in my family went on about this the other day. I thought back to when I worked retail and remembered working Thanksgiving years ago. CVS even in 92-93 when I worked there was always open. I worked 9-4 on Thanksgiving and until 10:00 pm on Christmas Eve. We closed on Christmas because at that time there was no 24 hours pharmacy in the store, but I was given the "opportunity" to go work at the other CVS with a 24 hour pharmacy.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #80
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Add liquor stores to the always been open list. No one ever worries about those workers having to work.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #81
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
Really? I'm 45 and I always remember 7-11's being open 24 hours.
I'm 60 and I remember 7-11's only being open from 7am to 11pm...thus the name.

Of course, when I was a kid nothing was open on Sunday's except a few gas stations, theaters and restaurants. Everything closed early. Nothing was open on holidays!
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #82
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
That's why they were called 7-11s.

According to their website, some locations started staying open 24 hours in 1963. So before your time, but after mine.

http://corp.7-eleven.com/AboutUs/His...5/Default.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I'm 60 and I remember 7-11's only being open from 7am to 11pm...thus the name.

Of course, when I was a kid nothing was open on Sunday's except a few gas stations, theaters and restaurants. Everything closed early. Nothing was open on holidays!
Yeah, I know that's where the name came from...but pretty much in my lifetime 7-11 has been 24 hours a day every day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: