Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

Why the Main Street bakery is causing a ruckus

I have some different thoughts than Pete Werner does about why the Main Street Bakery changes are causing such a ruckus. He is partly right about it being an emotional attachment to the place. I think it's because the people who are passionate about it have more avenues to let their passion be known.

You can respond to this through Social media and organize easier than ever through social media. The outcry on the Main Street Bakery is because it's easier to engage in it. John or Kevin (forgot which one) made the point that this is similar to Mr. Toad's Ride. There was probably similar outrage on Mr. Toad's Ride, but that outrage couldn't be magnified because all you could do was snail mail or email a letter to Walt Disney World Guest Services. Now you can at them in 140 characters through twitter, Pinterest them a meme of outrage or respond to the Facebook or blog post on this. Maybe, I am missing something from the last couple of week's of shows on this.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I wonder if Disney were to announce that the cinnamon bus were staying if people were to calm down about this?

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

Yes it's true that social media makes it easier to voice your concerns and that's a valid point. But no this isn't the same as mr toad.

Mr toad had to go away to make room for pooh. The Main Street bakery can remain with the addition of Starbucks. Keep all the food items and add the Starbucks items in addition and many of us are okay with Starbucks coming.

It does seem petty that we want that cinnamon bun and ice cream sandwich. But they really are that good and are vastly enhanced by the Main Street atmosphere.
October 2011: ASMo with DD4 and DD7months
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
dmwang9
Agent P's sidekick-in-training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfield1984 View Post
we want that cinnamon bun and ice cream sandwich
I just got a strange craving for two cinnamon buns with a layer of ice cream in between. Oh jeez, can you imagine the calories in that?

DLR: off site (8/74), GC (2/01), DLH (10/07, Gay Days Anaheim), VGC (3/13), off site (12/13), off site (2/14)
WDW: Swan (7/03, Nimbus), CR (8/06), Dolphin (8/07), Swan (6/08), Swan (6/09), BWV (7/10), BWV (7/11), BWV (6/12), SSR (6/13), BWV (3/14, Flower and Garden)
Universal: Royal Pacific (7/10, Infinitus), Portofino Bay (7/12, Ascendio)
Cruises: Dream (7/11, 4 night Bahamas), Dream (6/12, PCC 3.0, 5 night Bahamas), Fantasy (6/13, 7 night W Caribbean)
ABD: DIS Backstage Magic (7/14)

Upcoming trip: AKV (Oct 27-31, 2014)
dmwang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
clownfish1976
Arizona Reef keeper!

Hello im new posting here but have have been listening to the podcast for about 5 years. I finally got a new computer that is much easier to do this type of stuff on. For me the biggest problem with this Change is this.... I have one place and ONE place only to go to a Main St. Bakery. and that is Walt Disney World. there was JUST ONE, that is pretty valuable to me. I have about 8 billion places i can get a starbucks. I dont need Disney taking out a Valuable place to put in a very common coffee company. I can understand branding, its always been there. But putting in a starbucks is a LOT different than having The Main Street Bakery brought to you by Starbucks. I wouldn't mind them sponsoring it and keeping the Cinnamon buns and just changing the coffee, but getting rid of the buns and just putting in another starbucks seems like a BAD move and lots of people agree it seems. I would just hate to see this trend keep going. Maybe they get rid of Tonys town square and put in an Olive Garden. Or get rid of Pecos Bills and put in Burger king. I would hate to see Disney go this route, and this is the first step to that kind of thing happening. I doubt that they will go that route, but it scares people. I feel like a Kid at Disneyparks, i dont need real world chain stores interfering with that fantasy. I just hope they reconsider and keep the Bakery and serve starbucks company that is a good compromise.
clownfish1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstidm1 View Post
Pinterest them a meme of outrage...
That is probably one of cleverest phrases I've heard/read in a long time. May I use it?

We were at California Adventure this summer and I just peeked into the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe and it does not resemble a Starbucks. They have some of the staple Starbucks pastries, but then also hot soups and sandwiches. Disney can make it work if they want to. On the Disneyland boards, many people were really excited to see Starbucks come in with all their pastries. However, they were not replacing the Main Street Bakery.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: