Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #1441
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Even though I'm going down with DD#2 she will probably not run with me, she walks way to fast for me to keep up. We usually start together, then last year I stayed with her and DD#3 until MK and we got pics taken, when we got outside the Kingdom though I cut them loose because I was getting blisters on the bottoms of my feet trying to walk with them. even though I so most of the race alone- I never feel lonely- there are so many Princesses out there and everyone is very friendly (ok maybe not everyone at every mile) but I've talk (or listened to) lots of interesting people on the course.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #1442
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Achilles Tendon

I thought someone here posted about having Achilles Tedon issues.

I saw this video on Runners World.com
http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-p...les-Tendinitis
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #1443
CorgiMom
Earning My Ears

I am running!! Can I be added to the list? It will be my 1st Disney Race and I'm so excited!!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #1444
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the congrats...back home now and feeling much better. Once I was able to get moving again on sunday, I felt ok. Now all that's left is some PF pain, but I'll be stretching that like crazy from now until PHM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
Great places for victory drinks and dinner! Please post back about the Carthay Circle dinner...it's on my list for the DDD. Hope your PF gets better - no fun running in pain.
Carthay was great...well, most of it! First of all, the place is beautiful! The lounge downstairs is spacious and the bartenders are funny and very friendly...and make a good drink Service was very attentive, though we hit them on a night when the kitchen must have been slammed. You could tell the waiters were frustrated too and they were sooo apologetic...food took FOREVER to come out, even appetizers. We were a table of 4 and were there for 2.5 hours+. The manager was going out apologizing to all tables and they ended up comping one of our entrees, our dessert and gave us a 15% discount on top of that...and we didn't even complain, they just did it because they knew there was a problem that night. Everyone agreed that the food was fantastic when it finally arrived...I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #1445
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

First off, CONGRATS to all who did the Tink Half this past weekend! It sounds like it was a terrific race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post
I thought someone here posted about having Achilles Tedon issues.

I saw this video on Runners World.com
http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-p...les-Tendinitis
Good timing... see below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alas, it seems I may never learn my lesson about staying far away from stability shoes... I opted to do my 10 miles this weekend in my Pure Cadence shoes and totally paid the price: had to quit at just over 9 miles due to ITB pain in BOTH knees, plus a ton of pain in the outside of my feet and ankles. Nothing was helped by foolishly choosing to run on the heavily canted sidewalks lining our beaches.

Good news is that the ITB pain didn't linger and I ran without any of that yesterday. Bad news is my achilles tendinitis flared up, so I'm dealing with that now. Much better today, though. I don't think my bad achilles can handle more than around 7-8 miles in minimalist shoes, so I got me a pair of Brooks Ghost 5's yesterday and I'll try them out over the next week.

Trying not to cram, but I really needed that 10 miles, so I may try again this weekend, depending on how I feel.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #1446
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
First off, CONGRATS to all who did the Tink Half this past weekend! It sounds like it was a terrific race.

Alas, it seems I may never learn my lesson about staying far away from stability shoes... I opted to do my 10 miles this weekend in my Pure Cadence shoes and totally paid the price: had to quit at just over 9 miles due to ITB pain in BOTH knees, plus a ton of pain in the outside of my feet and ankles. Nothing was helped by foolishly choosing to run on the heavily canted sidewalks lining our beaches.

Good news is that the ITB pain didn't linger and I ran without any of that yesterday. Bad news is my achilles tendinitis flared up, so I'm dealing with that now. Much better today, though. I don't think my bad achilles can handle more than around 7-8 miles in minimalist shoes, so I got me a pair of Brooks Ghost 5's yesterday and I'll try them out over the next week.

Trying not to cram, but I really needed that 10 miles, so I may try again this weekend, depending on how I feel.
Once on that link they had video's for IT Band and a few other things too.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #1447
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Odd question, how do you know what kind of shoes you have in terms of stability? I ask because I was running in Asics Gel Noosa Tri 7s until December. I went to Fleet Feet and they fitted me, said the Noosas were way too small(they were kind of tight) and not right for me. They recommended the Asics Gel Nimbus 14s. I bought them a couple of weeks later. Did a 5k in them and noticed a twinge in my knee, nothing horrible. Was slack over the holidays, but when I did do long runs, I noticed my knee was starting to hurt after. Two weekends ago I could barely get through 6 miles, my knee hurt so bad during the run. Did 7 miles this Sunday and while my knee held up during the run, after it hurt so bad again. I've been using a foam roller on the IT band area and seeing my chiropractor once a week(which usually works wonders). But I can't help but think my new shoes, the ones they said were for me, are the problem.
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine Half Marathon Jan 2014 DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Paradise Pier Feb 2014 Princess Half Contemporary
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #1448
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMoos View Post
Odd question, how do you know what kind of shoes you have in terms of stability? I ask because I was running in Asics Gel Noosa Tri 7s until December. I went to Fleet Feet and they fitted me, said the Noosas were way too small(they were kind of tight) and not right for me. They recommended the Asics Gel Nimbus 14s. I bought them a couple of weeks later. Did a 5k in them and noticed a twinge in my knee, nothing horrible. Was slack over the holidays, but when I did do long runs, I noticed my knee was starting to hurt after. Two weekends ago I could barely get through 6 miles, my knee hurt so bad during the run. Did 7 miles this Sunday and while my knee held up during the run, after it hurt so bad again. I've been using a foam roller on the IT band area and seeing my chiropractor once a week(which usually works wonders). But I can't help but think my new shoes, the ones they said were for me, are the problem.

I am in the Nimbus as well...they are in Asics' neutral line of shoes, so not considered a stability shoe. Doesn't mean they are not the cause of your problems though. I'm thinking more and more lately that running shoe shopping should be approached like a medical diagnosis...sometimes you need a 2nd or 3rd opinion. You might try getting fitted again either at another store or by a different person in the same store just to see if they suggest anything different to you. My BF has had 2 completely different types of shoes suggested for him at 2 different stores in our area before. It's kind of frustrating!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #1449
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMoos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I am in the Nimbus as well...they are in Asics' neutral line of shoes, so not considered a stability shoe. Doesn't mean they are not the cause of your problems though. I'm thinking more and more lately that running shoe shopping should be approached like a medical diagnosis...sometimes you need a 2nd or 3rd opinion. You might try getting fitted again either at another store or by a different person in the same store just to see if they suggest anything different to you. My BF has had 2 completely different types of shoes suggested for him at 2 different stores in our area before. It's kind of frustrating!
ITA with Cripey! I loved my old Asics Nimbus 11's, but Asics totally changed where they place the arch in their shoes AND changed the Nimbus and I can't wear them anymore. And I no longer trust the fitters at all; they never get me in the right shoe. I've gotten so I just know what position feels just-right for my foot and go by that feel. I know stability shoes make my foot roll out too much - I can feel it even while standing - so why I felt compelled to run in the stupid Pure Cadence's is beyond me.

As to how to know which shoes are which, most brand websites spell this out. Sometimes you really have to search, though.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #1450
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
First off, CONGRATS to all who did the Tink Half this past weekend!

Read your latest blog and cried ! You have been through soooo much, can't imagine the pain. Please know lots of love & pixie dust your way from TX!

Kinda bummed that I have yet another bad cold..the kind where you lay on the couch and watch trashy tv like honey boo boo & the kardashians. Was hoping to do the Hero Half marathon this Sunday in San Antonio but when I called running coach to reschedule my training for tomorrow he was like " uhhhh nooooo half marathon on Sunday. Let your body & immune system get better
& you don't want want to catch something else and be out two weeks. ". Sooooo...no training this week until I feel better. Coach assured me that missing five days of training would not push me back. DH and I have already done a 10 mi run so we are okay for our goal of completing our first half. Still bummed...just not the gal who sits on the couch and watches tv !
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #1451
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Thanks! I'm taking the plunge and returning these. Looking into it, my last 2 pairs were both stability shoes and I didn't have these issues in them. Running Warehouse is great, I called them without even an order number(and I threw all of my info/return shipping stuff away). They are taking care of it all. I'm either going to try the Noosa Tri 8s, since I did so well in the 7s, or the GT 1000s(the guy I spoke with at RW recommended those). I think I'm going to go into another running store and see what they have to say.
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine Half Marathon Jan 2014 DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Paradise Pier Feb 2014 Princess Half Contemporary
Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #1452
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Read your latest blog and cried ! You have been through soooo much, can't imagine the pain. Please know lots of love & pixie dust your way from TX!

Kinda bummed that I have yet another bad cold..the kind where you lay on the couch and watch trashy tv like honey boo boo & the kardashians. Was hoping to do the Hero Half marathon this Sunday in San Antonio but when I called running coach to reschedule my training for tomorrow he was like " uhhhh nooooo half marathon on Sunday. Let your body & immune system get better
& you don't want want to catch something else and be out two weeks. ". Sooooo...no training this week until I feel better. Coach assured me that missing five days of training would not push me back. DH and I have already done a 10 mi run so we are okay for our goal of completing our first half. Still bummed...just not the gal who sits on the couch and watches tv !
Sorry you are sick...but you might be surprised at what this little forced break will do for you. At this point in the game, you're there and ready, and your body is likely pretty tired...alot of times it will thank you for the break with a great run when you get back at it. Try to enjoy the downtime as much as you can...and the trainwreck TV shows...I can't look away from those either

Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #1453
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

Hello everyone! Who else is in the frozen north with me? It's -4 with the wind chill today. I can't wait to be in FL! We leave in month.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #1454
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom
Hello everyone! Who else is in the frozen north with me? It's -4 with the wind chill today. I can't wait to be in FL! We leave in month.
I actually wound up on the treadmill today. It was partly timing, but the weather certainly made it appealing. My son wanted to swim so I left him at the pool and ran while he swam (day off from school). He's almost 11 but has aspergers so it's always odd for me to give him that level of independence! He did great of course. Now I'm sitting at the gate for a business trip to Atlanta. Looking forward to temps above freezing for 2 days. Brought capris to run in!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #1455
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom View Post
Yeah, I'm up here in Chicago. I got the white hairspray for my Frost Fairy costume and it's feeling pretty darn appropriate. The only upside to being injured is that I've had an excuse not to run in this cold snap! On the upside, I did a little tentative mile on the treadmill just to test and no pain! So maybe I'll get back out soon.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: