Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #796
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Feeling so frustrated with my shins / calves these days! I know there are plenty of ITBS sufferers, so you will definitely feel me. After my first bout of shin splints, I went through PT which healed the shins, but did nothing to teach me why I got hurt in the first place. As soon as I started running again, I started having tight calves and shin pain again. I tried the Chi Running thing and it really, really worked - no more pain, for over a year. I was JUST getting back up to speed again when we moved to a pretty hilly area with no running paths around. BAM - shin pain, big time. So, am I NEVER supposed to run any races with hills?!?! I'm just frustrated. I also see friends, some of whom are a bit older than me (I'm 42) who are running a half marathon every 2 months or so with NO problems whatsoever. I just don't understand. It can't be the shoes - I've been in the same brand through all these ups and downs. In addition to the shins, I've started to feel my heel and inside arch be tender sometimes and my achilles tighten up - all on my left side, which is also the shin that knocked me out for a while. Could this possibly be a chiropractic thing? Sorry for the long ramble, but I am already down on running outside in the grey January weather when it's cold; worrying about blowing something out with every step does NOT help my attitude!!!! Thanks for listening to the vent!
I can relate! I am finally done with PT for ITBS and am focussing hard on doing all the right things to spare my knees the pain but it seems to be causing pain in other areas and I don't know if it's just a matter of retraining, or muscles engaging differently so they're sore, or if I am just a hot mess and should stop running and take up knitting. It would be nice if we were like cars or computers where they can just plug something into us and figure out what's wrong. Having to come back from an injury, run in the cold and learn new habits gets to be overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
I hate to be the one to suggest the unthinkable...shoe shopping!
Fantastic advice!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #797
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
First: You know I feel your pain! It's sooo frustrating.
Second: Several months ago, I'd never have thought a chiropractor could do anything for our running woes, but after many visits with my miracle worker, I'm a believer! I think it's worth trying. I'm so impressed with how dedicated my chiro is to finding the root cause of things and how much she understands the inner workings of how something off-kilter in my glute (the tightest gluteus medius EVER, to be specific - go me?!) is making both my lower knee and outer foot hurt. I just got back from an hour with her and feel much, much better!
Might be something I will try. Very interesting in all this - I noticed the other day, 2 days in a row, that my left sleeve reaches longer down onto my hand than the right one. I haven't been able to tell with pants, really, or if I'm imagining this, but am wondering if I am lopsided! I need to have a physical done anyway, haven't had one in 2 years, so I might bring that up and have her check my spine. So. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
I've heard a lot of runners have trouble with their left side because when we run on the road facing traffic, our left leg gets wonky because of the slope off the side of the road. Obviously, it's the safe thing to do, so I have no idea how you are supposed to fix that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
That's exactly what brought on my ITBS. I've since made a point of alternating sides of the road, running down the middle in areas with little traffic, and spending lots of quality time on park trails (paved but not so canted). I was also advised to do at least one run a week on the treadmill... but I haven't been very good at following that advise.
For the first bout, I was running on a flat, paved running path near my house, so that wasn't an issue, and I actually run on the right side when I'm in my n'hood, usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
Is there any chance your shoes are wearing out? I have to replace mine every 400-500 miles. I start to feel a twinge in my heel/arch and new shoes seems to make it go away.

I hate to be the one to suggest the unthinkable...shoe shopping!
That's always a question. I overpronate, but am wondering if the stability shoes are overcorrecting too much? Might try a nonstability shoe just to see if there is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post

I ended up with shin spints and a stress fracture in my left leg and this didn't happen until I started running near my house where it's very hilly. My physical therapist and I talked a lot about this. He said hills are good for training but the way I was approaching them was all wrong. He analyzed my gait and my strides were too long and I had to shorten them up and when I was coming down the hills my strides were long and my feet were pounding into the ground. This did a lot of damage. I was out of running for a while and I"m finally getting back up to speed. I did my first 10K this past week and it had some hills that made me nervous but I just took nice short, easy steps and I did fine. I do feel some soreness in my shin but nothing like it used to be (although every little twinge still makes me nervous). Also when I started out again I was so tentative about getting injured again that I was favoring that leg and then other things got thrown out of whack like my knee and calf. It's like I had to learn to run correctly all over again (and I'm still not there!). Why can't it just be easy?
I'm sure this is a factor. Even in the Chi Running book, they advise to take short "baby steps" on hills. Obviously, after running on flat paths so long, I perhaps had forgotten to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
I can relate! I am finally done with PT for ITBS and am focussing hard on doing all the right things to spare my knees the pain but it seems to be causing pain in other areas and I don't know if it's just a matter of retraining, or muscles engaging differently so they're sore, or if I am just a hot mess and should stop running and take up knitting. It would be nice if we were like cars or computers where they can just plug something into us and figure out what's wrong. Having to come back from an injury, run in the cold and learn new habits gets to be overwhelming.
Exactly. I keep thinking, "I REALLY don't think I should have to give up racing!" I mean, I still think I should be able to be competitive (with myself) and be able to do speedwork and such w/o always worrying about getting hurt.

Anyway, thanks, y'all, for offering so much kind advice! There is an aquatic center near me and I would like to hit the pool for some cross-training and see if toning up other muscles will help take some of the pressure off the shins / calves. Seems like those of you in PT are taking that away as a lesson - weak areas overwork the strong ones until they, too, become weak. Oh, and you know, I could always go for a new pair of shoes..... if they're pretty.....

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #798
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Oh, and you know, I could always go for a new pair of shoes..... if they're pretty.....
Remember girls, if Santa "forgot" to bring you a new pair of glass running slippers, Valentine's day is right around the corner...redemption!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #799
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Remember girls, if Santa "forgot" to bring you a new pair of glass running slippers, Valentine's day is right around the corner...redemption!
I already mention to DH to forget the candy and flowers on Valentines Day....I will be happy with Disney Dollars to spend at the expo and the parks on anything I just HAVE to have.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #800
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Jasmine Sparkleskirt shipped today. Turquoise bondiband ordered today. Brand new shiny Garmin arrived today. Who's ready to get her Princess on! THIS GIRL!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #801
annabanna
Mouseketeer

I can join the injury-frustration group too. I rolled my ankle on a silly rock that was under the snow on Christmas Eve. It was awful- I actually touched my ankle to the ground I rolled it so hard. After a week of no running, staying off of it the best I could and lots of ice, the swelling finally went down so I felt comfortable trying it. After learning my lesson for running in the snow, I hopped on the treadmill and felt great. I ran a little over a mile the first night and went for 2.75 last night. Then today I was walking around the yard at work, I started getting pain just above my ankle.
I can't seem to win!!
I have a 6 miler planned for Sunday, so I sure hope that I can get through it pain free!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #802
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
I already mention to DH to forget the candy and flowers on Valentines Day....I will be happy with Disney Dollars to spend at the expo and the parks on anything I just HAVE to have.
How do I get my husband to read this thread and know that I really really want that D&B Bag for Love Day!!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #803
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Normally I wear a bondi-band type thing on my head (Hippie Runner, for those interested...I like them more than Bondi personally!), but a tiara might be cute.
What is the difference between the two? I have only used the Bodni Bands and like them, though the "fashion" ones don't stay on me as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #804
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post
How do I get my husband to read this thread and know that I really really want that D&B Bag for Love Day!!!!!
Give him ALL the info about it along with a picture, how to order it, etc. and email him the info or just "leave" it around the house. Maybe have it ALL over the house, at the dinner table, on the bathroom mirror, on his car mirror......you get the idea. Hope it works.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #805
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Give him ALL the info about it along with a picture, how to order it, etc. and email him the info or just "leave" it around the house. Maybe have it ALL over the house, at the dinner table, on the bathroom mirror, on his car mirror......you get the idea. Hope it works.
I think I may pin it to his pillow, he should get the hint then
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #806
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Being a first world purse addict, I already have a bunch of bags I love. LOL!! I just want *MORE* of them. I think I am more sad that it isn't a new one than anything else. I think I will buy one and then if I don't like it, sell it. Maybe even at the expo someone will be devastated over not getting one and buy it right there? I mean, if I can decide that quickly anyway. My DH told me to buy it because if I don't and he has to hear about it all week, he will strangle me and throw me overboard in IASW.

And what a great cause! I stopped by and took your suggestion.
Thank you so much! I got back home and logged on and got such a beautiful surprise! Thank you for donating. You are a true princess...but you knew that already

I plan to start really telling folks about our doing this charity run for Shot@Life after all the folks around here get back from vacation and hope we can raise around $5000 so thank you for getting us on our way. If anyone else would like to donate, here's our link again: http://www.crowdrise.com/shotlife/fundraiser/cindylevin
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #807
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

More cute running purses!

I know there's been chatter about whether or not this years bags are cute enough purses to buy, so I thought I'd throw this out. I was just in St Louis and met a runner who makes these totally awesome running inspired bags out of racing bib material and runs the business out of her house. The bib material has printed patterns of running bibs from all over the country on them or pattern with words all over it like "post race" "long run" "rest day" "heart rate" "cross train" "taper" "speedy" I love them and am just trying to decide if I want a clutch or a gear bag...or maybe both

Here's her website: www.splittimedesigns.com
Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #808
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8

What is the difference between the two? I have only used the Bodni Bands and like them, though the "fashion" ones don't stay on me as well.
Well aside from liking all the patterns Hippie Runner has, they just fit me better...they aren't quite as wide and I find that a lot of times the Bondi Bands are too loose on me, especially when they get sweaty.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #809
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Question for those more knowledgeable than I - what is the deal when a shoe is described as having a certain "heel-to-toe drop"? I'm researching some shoes and I am curious as to what would be best for me. From the little I understand, the more "natural" shoes have a very little HTTD, right? What exactly does this affect or do? Thanks!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #810
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy
Question for those more knowledgeable than I - what is the deal when a shoe is described as having a certain "heel-to-toe drop"? I'm researching some shoes and I am curious as to what would be best for me. From the little I understand, the more "natural" shoes have a very little HTTD, right? What exactly does this affect or do? Thanks!
I think it basically means they are more flat across the sole from heel to toe. If you look at a lot of more traditional shoes the heel is really built up...cushioning, shock absorption, etc...the minimal shoes try to mimic being more natural, almost as if you we're barefoot, so the heel isn't built up like that...so less of a drop off from the heel to the toe. That's what I've gathered from reading about them...I'm sure there's a lot more science involved and I may be understanding it wrong for all I know...but what I know for sure is that they don't work for me at all!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: