Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #511
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I did it...I finally feel normal again so I got out for a run. Just finished 3 sloooooooow miles, but I purposely slowed extra so as make those miles as easy as possible and have a positive outlook...it worked. I'm not looking forward to this weekend as my trainer says I need to get in at least 7 (should be 10 if I was on track) but my goal is to simply finish them with no regard to time...which is now my goal for Tink...just to finish. My bf and I are mulling over the idea of him buying a bib from someone to run Tink with me...I think I'm gonna need the support!
Glad you are feeling normal again. I think having the positive outlook will help you a lot as your push through in your training. Good luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBoyz View Post
Help! I was psyched last year to run the Princess this past February. I was a daily blog reader and was completely bitten by the bug. It was also on my bucket list as I turned 40 in March this year. However, my shin splints turned into stress fractures and I had to defer mid January. Bummer!

After going through some more medical issues, I ended up having a hysterectomy in June. I've had arthritis-like conditions since then and have had numerous appointments with different physicians. It was concluded that something traumatic happened to me during my surgery. I have torn cartilage in both hips and in my right arm. I begin my first of three surgeries next week to repair the damage. Because of these issues, I havent been able to run since June, only walk.

I'm ready to hand in the towel all together! Should I defer another year? Should I allow my DH to run with my bib? Should I try and sell my bib? It's frustrating because our park passes are paid, our accommodations are paid, our dining plan is paid and reservations are made at Cinderella's! For a second year in a row, no less!

Forty for me was such a tragedy!!
I am so sorry. This does not sound like you have had a fun time of it. Not all that fair either, is it?!

I think I agree with the pp who suggested you try to walk what you can just to gain the experience. Will you be recovered from surgery in time to walk the phm?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #512
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Quote:
... My bf and I are mulling over the idea of him buying a bib from someone to run Tink with me...I think I'm gonna need the support!
I don't know if you would be interested or not, but it would seem that GET travel still has race registrations available. When I called yesterday to make final payment the voicemail indicated that you should send an email if you are interested in registration for the Tink. www.GETTravel.com, (888)877-4445. I worked with Bill Kelly.

Good luck with your training!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #513
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGONNABE40! View Post
I don't know if you would be interested or not, but it would seem that GET travel still has race registrations available. When I called yesterday to make final payment the voicemail indicated that you should send an email if you are interested in registration for the Tink. www.GETTravel.com, (888)877-4445. I worked with Bill Kelly.

Good luck with your training!
Thanks! You have to book a travel package to get one of their spaces though, right? At least that's what I have always thought...but I've never lookied into it for myself. We already have everything booked...and our hotel is booked at a non-refundable rate...so we wouldn't be able to do that, but thanks for the suggestion! There are a few people over on FB that have bibs for sale that we are thinking about...the only snag is that none of them submitted proof of time so if he bought it he'd be in a late corral. I don't think he'd have ANY trouble catching up to me pretty quickly...and I'm not sure I'd want to move back to whatever corral he's in because I'm gonna need the time cushion! oh well...we're still thinking about it. Either way, he'll be out on the course at several spots though. He found a way somehow last year to see me in 4 or 5 spots...on foot! I joked he probably ended up at close to a half marathon himself that morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Glad you are feeling normal again. I think having the positive outlook will help you a lot as your push through in your training. Good luck!!!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post
Considering your past performances in finishing races, you'll do just fine!! When I did my first half, which was Disneyland's in September, I didn't train at ALL. I think I did the first two weeks of a 12-week training plan and the furthest distance I got was 4 miles. Then I sat on my butt the entire summer and did nothing. No running OR walking. During the race, I think I ran two miles and stopped to walk, then ran whenever there was cheering groups because they make you feel better when you run past them. I was NOT an athletic person at this point in my life (though I like to consider myself now, since I've greatly improved!)

I also fell in the very beginning, literally right at the start, twisting my ankle and scuffing up my knee. I twisted the same ankle around mile 7 heading over to high five some cheerleaders. My ankle was the size of a grapefruit later, but so worth it! My time was 3 hours and 15 minutes I think? So, if I finished with ZERO training and battle wounds, you've TOTALLY got Tink!!
Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #514
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

I survived the end of the semester. No more classes until Jan 9. I did start my lab job, but it's not bad at all compared to class. My longest run since I've been sick was only 2 miles, but I magically shaved a minute off my pace while I was sick. Ok, it's probably because my blood pressure is under control, but magic sounds cooler. I'm heading out for a short run today and tomorrow, and then I'm aiming for at least 4-5 miles on my weekend run.

I'm still on the fence, but I'm pretty sure I want to train for a full marathon after the PHM. The one I'm looking at is mid-Dec next year.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #515
jodipaige2004
Mouseketeer

I posted a while ago about a pain in the ball of my foot and how I went to a podiatrist and got orthodics and laser therapy...blah blah blah...took almost a week off running and then tried again. Did 5K which felt ok. Then did 13K which did not feel good at all (actually everything else felt great - legs, lungs, thoughts - but not.my.foot). Just went back to see the dr again and had more laser therapy and she told me no running for 2 weeks. TWO WEEKS! I am freaking out! I have trained so religiously for 10 months, I am even up to 21K and feeling good afterwards...and now I am so worried that I am not going to be able to run the Princess without being in pain or I will be able to run but I will have lost so much training. This started about a month ago and I have not been to run as long as usual and now no running at all. I am renting a stationary bike so I can still do something but I am so discouraged and worried! I have worked so hard for this!!! (just needed to tell people who "get it" and maybe have been through something similar)

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun
Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #516
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipaige2004 View Post
I posted a while ago about a pain in the ball of my foot and how I went to a podiatrist and got orthodics and laser therapy...blah blah blah...took almost a week off running and then tried again. Did 5K which felt ok. Then did 13K which did not feel good at all (actually everything else felt great - legs, lungs, thoughts - but not.my.foot). Just went back to see the dr again and had more laser therapy and she told me no running for 2 weeks. TWO WEEKS! I am freaking out! I have trained so religiously for 10 months, I am even up to 21K and feeling good afterwards...and now I am so worried that I am not going to be able to run the Princess without being in pain or I will be able to run but I will have lost so much training. This started about a month ago and I have not been to run as long as usual and now no running at all. I am renting a stationary bike so I can still do something but I am so discouraged and worried! I have worked so hard for this!!! (just needed to tell people who "get it" and maybe have been through something similar)
I can completely understand your distress. I am in PT now for IT band pain and had to stop running for a month!!! Not only was it hard because now I feel like I am back to square one, but I keep stressing about whether I will be up to it in February. I already missed a 15K and 10K I was planning to run. I just got cleared to run short distances about 2 weeks ago and he wants me to build back up at about a mile a week. Well, that won't cut it because that puts me at 13 miles a week AFTER the Princess Half. I was running 15K fairly comfortably before this all happened and now I am runnning 5K. I am thankful that I have no pain but it's stressful knowing that 3 months ago I was way ahead of where I am now and we have so little time left.

But we're going to do this!!!! So many of us have overcome (or are still battling) these things and I believe in us. Time to get grass roots Disney and pull that pixie dust!!!!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #517
Cripey
DIS Veteran

I just got an update that my tutu for PHM should be shipping no later than Monday!!!! I'm so excited to see it! That little boost came just at the right time

Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #518
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Who knows! I think I'll be able to maintain maybe 13-14 minute miles...I'm just concerned with petering out with 3 or 4 miles to go since I've missed so many long runs. I submitted a good time that was good enough to get me in A last year, so I think I'll be fine with the sweepers even if I have to walk the last few miles. I do know that I cannot walk a 16 minute mile...I think my legs are too short, lol...but I've never been able to walk that fast! I'm just scared how painful this might turn out to be!!!! Princess was always planned to be about the fun and pictures with the BF so I'll be fine for that at least. It'll be a lot if he ends up running Tink with me....he's running a full the weekend before! But at my pace and with the walk breaks, it's a walk in the park for him
I am soooo with you on missing long runs and starting to freak a little about PHM ! Basically two months to go and by now I thought I would be at a steady 12:15 but instead am at a...gulp...13:30-14:00. Me thinks I also might be doing much walking with the goal,of being two steps ahead of the sweeper ! My long run Saturday is 7mi which puts me still on track for my training plan but frustrated I haven't picked up time ( really hate the head cold set me back so far!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post
Considering your past performances in finishing races, you'll do just fine!! When I did my first half, which was Disneyland's in September, I didn't train at ALL. I think I did the first two weeks of a 12-week training plan and the furthest distance I got was 4 miles. Then I sat on my butt the entire summer and did nothing. No running OR walking. During the race, I think I ran two miles and stopped to walk, then ran whenever there was cheering groups because they make you feel better when you run past them. I was NOT an athletic person at this point in my life (though I like to consider myself now, since I've greatly improved!)

I also fell in the very beginning, literally right at the start, twisting my ankle and scuffing up my knee. I twisted the same ankle around mile 7 heading over to high five some cheerleaders. My ankle was the size of a grapefruit later, but so worth it! My time was 3 hours and 15 minutes I think? So, if I finished with ZERO training and battle wounds, you've TOTALLY got Tink!!
Loved reading this as it gives me hope to just finish !
Old 12-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #519
Cripey
DIS Veteran

A little off-topic but I just read that in 2014 there is a 10k option for the DL half weekend!!!! AND something called a Dumbo Double Dare...10k saturday and half on sunday and you get an extra medal for it...kind of like the Goofy challenge, only not the insane mileage! Pretty cool! I'll repost this on the Tink thread too...

Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #520
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp View Post
Why are IT band issues so common? I've had nagging problems for a long time, but now I seem to have a full blown injury. I can't run for more than 2 miles without hip to knee issues! Chiro tomorrow. Hope we can make a plan to make this go away! Supposed to do 20 on Saturday. I've only done 16 and 18 for long runs. I mentally need the 20!
PLEASE don't run on it! I did - tried running through the pain, and made it worse. I just updated my blog with some things that have been working for my recovery, but I want to stress this: you must take time off for the inflammation in your knee to go down. If you keep running, even walking much, that inflamed area never has a chance to go down. My chiro has been so helpful, along with PT exercises and the foam roller. I roll religiously. I was down to only being able to run/walk 1.5 miles at its worst. Over a month or so I managed to work back to 5 miles at this point.

Have you identified what's causing the iT Band to tighten up? That's key, or it'll just keep happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Thanks for the reassurance on my sanity, btw! I actually talked with my son's gf who just got a new pair (we both run in Nike free runs ) and she had to go a half size bigger too. .
I forgot they're Frees! I had the exact same thing with them - I needed a 6.5 in grey/green, but a 7 in black.white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
Good morning princesses! I read the bathroom discussion. My tutu was ok for a 5k, but then I didn't have to go. I only saw a couple of comments on the sparkle skirts. Before I spend my money, do you think they are easier than a tutu. Also is everyone carrying hand sanitizer?
Depends on the sparkly skirt: I used/will use a Team Sparkle skirt - I pulled it up, tucking a couple ends under my race belt, along with my shirt, and pulled the shorts down separate. Sparkle Tech skirts are attached to the shorts, so the skirt goes down with the shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
You're not going to believe this as I would not except I stood there and watched. I was at a race a couple weekends ago that had a TP volunteer. Her duty was to walk the PoP line and make sure extra rolls were there.
I believe it - I saw one at the TOT, mid-course!

Quote:
I did it...I finally feel normal again so I got out for a run. Just finished 3 sloooooooow miles, but I purposely slowed extra so as make those miles as easy as possible and have a positive outlook...it worked. I'm not looking forward to this weekend as my trainer says I need to get in at least 7 (should be 10 if I was on track) but my goal is to simply finish them with no regard to time...which is now my goal for Tink...just to finish. My bf and I are mulling over the idea of him buying a bib from someone to run Tink with me...I think I'm gonna need the support!
Yay, so glad you're feeling better! It'll come, hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBoyz View Post
I'm ready to hand in the towel all together! Should I defer another year? Should I allow my DH to run with my bib? Should I try and sell my bib? It's frustrating because our park passes are paid, our accommodations are paid, our dining plan is paid and reservations are made at Cinderella's! For a second year in a row, no less!

Forty for me was such a tragedy!!
I'm so, so sorry! Are you walking regularly? Maybe plan on walking it instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipaige2004 View Post
I have worked so hard for this!!! (just needed to tell people who "get it" and maybe have been through something similar)
I get it! It sucks, no way around it. Hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
But we're going to do this!!!! So many of us have overcome (or are still battling) these things and I believe in us. Time to get grass roots Disney and pull that pixie dust!!!!
Yes!!! I totally had to revamp my training and may only get up to 10 miles in training. And I'm starting to accept that I may have to change my race strategy drastically - I'm considering a walk.5 mile, run/walk .5 mile, etc. NOT how I envisioned running my first half marathon... but I need to change that vision and focus on finishing and having fun doing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahem. Never underestimate the power of adrenaline... I had a horrific few days - like, really bad, sky-high stress. Monday night I ran with no plan beyond relieving stress... and ran a sub-10:00 mile. Couldn't even feel my knee. Wouldn't have cared if it did hurt.

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #521
amykay9377
Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations. After all it is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post
Someone asked if a sparkle skirt will be easier: I think anything in a PoP can be tricky, especially if it's dark and has been used.(trying not to gross anyone out here) My biggest concern (and why I am seriously rethinking making a tutu) is the length of the tutu and how will I keep it OFF the floor while I am trying to pee. I "think" if I had a sparkle skirt, I could pull it UP on my stomach more while the capris go down. The issue is the mini tutu I wore for the 5k wasn't that long and it was still a hassle to pull it and the spibelt UP.
I can vouch for a Team Sparkle Skirt. I did a 5k wearing one, and I pulled UP the TS skirt and my SpiBelt to under my girls, kind of held the skirt with my armpits, then pulled down the pants and did the deed. All seemed to work fine. Readjusting everything was slightly tricky, but I got everything back to the 'general vicinity' then stepped out of the PoP and fixed it outside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieandroo View Post
Now I know what I'll be doing after the Expo on Friday -- looking for bathrooms in the MK!
Great idea! I think I'll have to plan a scouting mission!

Check out my blog!
(I may need to change the name soon...)

Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #522
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykay9377 View Post
I can vouch for a Team Sparkle Skirt. I did a 5k wearing one, and I pulled UP the TS skirt and my SpiBelt to under my girls, kind of held the skirt with my armpits, then pulled down the pants and did the deed. All seemed to work fine. Readjusting everything was slightly tricky, but I got everything back to the 'general vicinity' then stepped out of the PoP and fixed it outside!

Great idea! I think I'll have to plan a scouting mission!
that's what I like about Team Sparkle being a separate skirt too...not only can you run in what you're comfortable with underneath, but I've normally got someone with me at the pre race area and i just take the skirt off and let them hold it for me while I use the PoP. Easy Peasy. I've yet to need to use the restroom on course, but I'd probably do the same...and if no one was running with me, I'd probably just leave it right outside the door on the ground or something!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #523
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey
A little off-topic but I just read that in 2014 there is a 10k option for the DL half weekend!!!! AND something called a Dumbo Double Dare...10k saturday and half on sunday and you get an extra medal for it...kind of like the Goofy challenge, only not the insane mileage! Pretty cool! I'll repost this on the Tink thread too...
Actually I meant 2013, not 2014

Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #524
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
I am soooo with you on missing long runs and starting to freak a little about PHM ! Basically two months to go and by now I thought I would be at a steady 12:15 but instead am at a...gulp...13:30-14:00. Me thinks I also might be doing much walking with the goal,of being two steps ahead of the sweeper ! My long run Saturday is 7mi which puts me still on track for my training plan but frustrated I haven't picked up time ( really hate the head cold set me back so far!)
I'm with you and Cripey. I thought I would be much faster by Tinker bell but it's not looking good. Darn ITB. Flair up in October and it's better, but... if I push it too hard (either speed or mileage) then I seem to re-aggravate it. If I keep slow and steady (looking at the 12:30-13:30 min miles too) then I have no issues.

So I'm going slow. I had great hopes of regaining some old speed I once had (long, long, loooonnggg ago! lol) but it seems it will have to wait a bit. Thanks to a great (old) 10K time, I will be in a wonderful corral but really will need to move back to start. I'd just be in the way I think if I start where they generously put me. Don't want to get trampled by wings and tutus!

Cripey- if the BF doesn't run and you want to walk/run, I'd be happy to meet up and see if we can push each other through!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #525
DisneyBoyz
Mouseketeer

decisions decisions

I do manage to walk still every other morning at 4am with my neighbor. That way it doesnt interfere with me being at work at 7am or being a mom and wife! However, after my hip surgery next week, I'll be on crutches for several weeks. I meet with my ortho this morning and I'm sure he'll offer me some advice about walk or no go! (Then the decision is defer AGAIN, let my DH wear my bib or just plain out sell it!)
Please dont get me wrong, Im not saying "poor me". I have a great life, good health (otherwise), two adorable boys, a loving DH, a great job, a warm house, and the ability to travel to WDW several times a year. I am blessed.

But I hate making decisions--that's where you guys come in! Oh, and any ideas for dinner tonight?

I'm a new Runner!

Now is the time. Now is the best time. Be it a time of joy or strife!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: