Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #436
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Hi princesses. *wave*

I fought the ick in my lungs and went out for a run this morning. I only went 8.5kms so no where near what I need to be doing at this point but it was my first run in 3 weeks and it felt so good to be out there.

I was so thankful that my body seemed able to still run that distance without a whole lot of effort but my lungs - oh my poor lungs - they felt like they were going to explode.

Guess the ick lives on. Feeling much better now though. Next run will be longer so I can get back on my feet for Tink then the Princess.

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #437
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
Sometime ago I thought I read on this thread a way to still register for a race that had closed. It isn't for the PHM. I was making arrangements for the Blues 1/2 in Jackson, MS. and then today I saw it is full. Bummer. Any ideas?
Sometimes charities (like Team in Training, for example) will purchase a block of spaces for a race so that people can register to do that race with the charity and raise money. In that instance, I believe you register through the charity at whatever their registration fee is and then there is normally a minimum amount that you have to pledge to fundraise as well...if you don't meet the minimum by race day you agree to be charged the difference...at least that's how they normally work. So, if you can find a charity that is running the race, alot of times they will still have spaces available in their group after the race has sold out to individual participants.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #438
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2 View Post
Hi princesses. *wave*

I fought the ick in my lungs and went out for a run this morning. I only went 8.5kms so no where near what I need to be doing at this point but it was my first run in 3 weeks and it felt so good to be out there.

I was so thankful that my body seemed able to still run that distance without a whole lot of effort but my lungs - oh my poor lungs - they felt like they were going to explode.

Guess the ick lives on. Feeling much better now though. Next run will be longer so I can get back on my feet for Tink then the Princess.
Good for you for getting out there! I think I'm finally on the mend too...went back to the doctor tuesday and was switched to some different meds. This has been one crazy sinus infection! I'm actaully just starting to feel alot better today...the most annoying thing though is that my ears are still stuffy...hopefully that gets worked out here in the next day or two. I should be able to get back out there this weekend and give it a go. Thinking about shooting for a 5 miler, but we'll see how that goes. To get me in a better frame of mind, I finally got around to ordering the little iron on that I want for my race day shirts for Tink and Princess yesterday. Still waiting on my tutu's/skirts for both of those races...they are both promised to me by the end of the month.

So, is it bad that I haven't run in 3 weeks...and I really don't miss it??

Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #439
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Well, I just CANNOT kick this stuff I don't seem to have gotten any better since I saw a doctor (well, actually a nurse) last week. At that time, I could not get in to see my normal doctor, so I went to one of those "Take Care Clinics" in Walgreens...which I've done before with no problems, but I've never had a sinus infection last this long and be this bad. I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow now...I'm afraid that with all the fluid that's been in my ears since last week that I'll get an ear infection too so I'm hoping they can do something else for me tomorrow. I'm so clogged up in my head, I feel like I'm walking around with ear plugs in...it's terribly annoying! So, that means I did NOT get out this saturday to run. Tinker Bell is right around the corner and I'm freaking out about this! My BF is running a 5 miler today after work and we carpooled together today, so I'm thinking I'll go to the park with him and, if nothing else, try to walk a couple of miles at least. I feel like I have to do something!

It doesn't help that we're having roller coaster weather...it was in the low 80's yesterday...40's today, possible 30's tonight. And it seems to just keep going up and down, up and down every week. UGH! On the bright side, my cats are seriously taking advantage of the extra cuddle time with me on the couch lately...it's cute!
I've got the ick now to and agree with you on this roller coaster weather in TX! I swear San Antonio can't decide if it is 80 or 40!

Quote:
So I haven't run in 3 weeks.

Well, I went for one shorty 5.5kms run but thats it.

I've had a bug that I just can't shake. I'm so exhausted that even having a shower leaves me winded and I'm all congested and my chest is full of gunk too. 3 weeks. Ug.

I have Tink coming up soon and I'm panicking that I'm not going to be able to do it.
I too am getting ansy about PHM in 2 months having this horrible chest cold. I did do a 4 mi walk on the treadmill at a 13:20 pace so if all fails I just walk the D*** thing. The way I feel right now my goals is to be two steps ahead of the balloon lady!

Quote:
Good for you for getting out there! I think I'm finally on the mend too...went back to the doctor tuesday and was switched to some different meds. This has been one crazy sinus infection! I'm actaully just starting to feel alot better today...the most annoying thing though is that my ears are still stuffy...hopefully that gets worked out here in the next day or two. I should be able to get back out there this weekend and give it a go. Thinking about shooting for a 5 miler, but we'll see how that goes. To get me in a better frame of mind, I finally got around to ordering the little iron on that I want for my race day shirts for Tink and Princess yesterday. Still waiting on my tutu's/skirts for both of those races...they are both promised to me by the end of the month.

Can't blame you for not missing the run...I'm still waiting on that "runner's high" everyone talks about! Keep thinking I'll get my aerobic capacity better and then colds etc happen!

A special thanks to Cripey, PrincessV, momhmmy2, sav418, Miss lindy, EEslovedis, tinkergal and debbieandroo (and I'm sure I've forgotten somebody!)for your kind words, prayers, wishes on the unexpected death of my Greyhound Marilyn last week. I TRULY could feel all the prayers coming my way. Big hugs to all of you! We did get her test results back and she died from a rat poison called Diphacinone. It is referred to as a second generation poison meaning the rat or mouse can eat it then an animal (or person!) can come in contact with the fecal matter or residual poison and die. We don't put anything out and I'm thinking positively my neighbors don't either.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #440
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I hear you! I am slowly working my way back into running and while I do enjoy those moments I am running, the cold isn't making me want to get back out there! I signed up for some virtual races, so hopefully the bling there will help my motivation. (that and the tight Run Disney shirt I bought, LOL!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post

A special thanks to Cripey, PrincessV, momhmmy2, sav418, Miss lindy, EEslovedis, tinkergal and debbieandroo (and I'm sure I've forgotten somebody!)for your kind words, prayers, wishes on the unexpected death of my Greyhound Marilyn last week. I TRULY could feel all the prayers coming my way. Big hugs to all of you! We did get her test results back and she died from a rat poison called Diphacinone. It is referred to as a second generation poison meaning the rat or mouse can eat it then an animal (or person!) can come in contact with the fecal matter or residual poison and die. We don't put anything out and I'm thinking positively my neighbors don't either.
I'm sorry for your loss. It's scary to think a dog can eat a rat and get sick or die from it. {{hugs}}

For those who ran the TOT, Brightroom send me an email that digital photos are 10% with code Digital10. I looked for the TOT thread, but I think it is gone now.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #441
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Is it just me or is the countdown on the princess half website off? I have 71 days until I leave on the 23rd, they have 69 days presumably til the half. I wonder who is off....
Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #442
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10 View Post
Is it just me or is the countdown on the princess half website off? I have 71 days until I leave on the 23rd, they have 69 days presumably til the half. I wonder who is off....
Since it's two days off, they may be counting down to Friday since that's the first day of the expo.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #443
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead

Since it's two days off, they may be counting down to Friday since that's the first day of the expo.
Wouldn't that make it 70 if the expo was Friday?

ETA nvm I think I get it if they are using fri as 0 it would be thurs at 1?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #444
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Princesses,
If any of you in in the CT area or your families were affected by today's tragedy, my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Hug your kids a little tighter tonight!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #445
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

I have a few questions for the returning princesses. Where are the "real" rest rooms in MK that are along the course? Have you used these during the race? How were the lines? Did you find that it worked out better or worse than the porta potties in terms of time it takes? TIA!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #446
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess
I have a few questions for the returning princesses. Where are the "real" rest rooms in MK that are along the course? Have you used these during the race? How were the lines? Did you find that it worked out better or worse than the porta potties in terms of time it takes? TIA!
I personally have a major problem using portapotties. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. I hate them and would rather pee in the damn woods haha. That being said, i always have to pee at some point during a run that long. My plan was to hold out til the tomorrowland bathrooms. Best detour and best few minutes break, best decision ever. I didnt have to pee when I went over the bridge to tomorrowland, but i said i'm gonna make myself stop. I did take tiny detour to use the bathroom up by the noodle station. Another woman and I both did it. We were laughing from the stalls because i said "i'm not gettin up! I like sitting!" Haha. Well i peed a lot and was totally re-energized after.

Physically ON the course, I guess the bathrooms in Frontierland are right on the course. My mind is totally blanking right now on the MK bathroom physically ON the course. Also, new fantasyland wasnt done last year. The bathrooms in the corner by pinocchio's are right there too.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 12-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #447
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

So when you say detour, how much of a detour? That's before the castle right? That would be ideal for me. And was it the tiny one up by the registers in the noodle station or the bigger one in between the plaza and the noodle station? Sorry for all the detail asked. This is important stuff! Lol
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #448
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess
So when you say detour, how much of a detour? That's before the castle right? That would be ideal for me. And was it the tiny one up by the registers in the noodle station or the bigger one in between the plaza and the noodle station? Sorry for all the detail asked. This is important stuff! Lol
Well when you cross the bridge into tomorrowland instead of staying on course and going straight past Laugh Factory and Stitch, i turned right and went up the ramp and used the noodle station bathroom. Im not good with distances lol so maybe someone else can say how much of a detour. It was worth it because no one else other than that woman and I did it. So no bathroom line.

Sorry eta it was the small bathrooms in the noodle station.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #449
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Ok cool! I know about how far that is. Sounds like a good plan! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #450
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Okay, I'm trying not to panic... I finally seem to have the ITBS pain out of the way on my left knee, but starting hurting badly just above my RIGHT knee during last night's short run. It's one of two things, possibly some of both: my ongoing chronic tendinitis flaring up, and/or new damage to my quadriceps tendon. In either case the prescription is, of course... rest. I'm supposed to do 5 miles this weekend... can't decide whether to try it, go shorter, or bag it entirely. Tomorrow's a rest day; today should be a 1-mile walk plus yoga, but I'll definitely skip the yoga, since bending with weight on it hurts the most. I may go ahead and walk since that seems not to hurt and loosens things up.

I'm so sick of being in pain!
I am so sorry that you are facing pain on the other side now! Some how, doesnt seem right or fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
Far be it from me to deter anyone from shoe shopping but this sounds like overtraining to me.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-...e-overtraining
http://www.runnersworld.com/running-...nning-mistakes

I've had a few moments in my training that have been like this. Hard work will pay off, but sometimes you need to take some time to roll things back and do some recovery. As they say, rest is where the actual improvement happens. It's in response to the stress of training, but the recovery builds the muscles.

Whatever the cause, I hope you bounce back soon!

Cate
I think you may have something here. I did end up going shopping as well as go into the doc, but when I looked back over the last few weeks of training I realized this training program has upped my mileage by about 30% from where I was. Not all at once mind you, but little by little over the last 4 weeks I have added 5 miles to my week.

As for the shoe... it doesnt fit right so that didn't help.

As for the doc... well, I battle with severe anemia from time to time. And... well, anemic again is what I am. So I am sure that once I get my iron levels back up I will feel tons better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
YES shopping !!!!! Have fun and enjoy.
I went shopping...got a pair of shoes. After my drama in July over new shoes I thought it best to stick with the same shoe in the same size. Guess what? They have to go back. First run was ok... the shoe felt a bit snug but I figured it was in my head and the shoe just needed to be broken in. Next run I went to put it on and on one foot it was almost painful to slide on. Then I attempted a third and I couldn't even walk in the shoe it was putting so much pressure on my bunion, so I ran in my old ones. Thinking maybe it was again just in my head I tried to put the new ones on for my last run...and they were so tight I could barely slide them on. SOOOO, my conclusion is I have lost my mind The shoe that is the same size as my old one is going to go back and I am going to try on a half size bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
Things are looking up a little here. A contact of DH's texted him last night and said he'd heard what happened and offered DH a temp position as a cook in his restaurant and will pay DH only $1/hr less than DH was making as a kitchen manager. It's quite the commute, but it buys us some time.

Our tentative longer term plan is for DH to go the student route as well. As soon as I get my training done, I'll be starting an undergrad research position. I'll be making about 1/2 of what DH was making. DH had been taking 6 hours per semester, but his boss was whining about DH being unavailable 2 mornings per week, so DH agreed to not take classes. Well now that the jerk fired him, I suggested DH going back to school and looking for a lab position too. Our student jobs would cover DH's former income, plus we'd have the excess financial aid and our jobs would likely have the possibility of getting full time hours over the summers. We could carpool, so gas expenses would be almost cut in half, so that's around an extra $50/week. We'd def. come out slightly ahead financially with this plan, plus we'd both be done with school sooner. And this might be my fave part - we'd all be home in the evenings. If the kids had games or performances, we could both be there. We'd have weekends free to do whatever. I'm really hoping this works out for us.

It looks like the PHM should be able to happen still. I've already got the race fee covered and park tickets covered (have an AP). Still need to book airfare and a room.

I'm getting ready to head out for my first post illness run. It's been 3 weeks since I ran, so I'm a little nervous. I'm hoping to get in 3 miles, but I'm going to head to a park with a short-ish loop and just see how it goes.
Glad to hear that the PHM is going to still happen for you!!!

Hope that shortish loop went well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
I just wanted to share here... I ran a 27:01 5k on Saturday! That's 32 seconds faster than my previous PR!!
That is amazing!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Well, I finished my 5 miles Saturday... but I'm not sure if I should celebrate yet, lol! Knee pain in my ITBS leg started up around mile 4... but I couldn't really tell if it was ITBS pain or my usual arthritic stuff that comes and goes during a run. It wasn't the stabbing, ice-pick-to-a-ligament kind of pain I was having previously, but I opted not to run through it, just in case. I'd been doing 1:30walk/:45run intervals up to that point, but started skipping every 2 runs for the last mile. No residual pain afterward, so I'm hopeful...
I will keep my fingers crossed for you and be hopeful as well.

Quote:
Well, I just CANNOT kick this stuff I don't seem to have gotten any better since I saw a doctor (well, actually a nurse) last week. At that time, I could not get in to see my normal doctor, so I went to one of those "Take Care Clinics" in Walgreens...which I've done before with no problems, but I've never had a sinus infection last this long and be this bad. I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow now...I'm afraid that with all the fluid that's been in my ears since last week that I'll get an ear infection too so I'm hoping they can do something else for me tomorrow. I'm so clogged up in my head, I feel like I'm walking around with ear plugs in...it's terribly annoying! So, that means I did NOT get out this saturday to run. Tinker Bell is right around the corner and I'm freaking out about this! My BF is running a 5 miler today after work and we carpooled together today, so I'm thinking I'll go to the park with him and, if nothing else, try to walk a couple of miles at least. I feel like I have to do something!

It doesn't help that we're having roller coaster weather...it was in the low 80's yesterday...40's today, possible 30's tonight. And it seems to just keep going up and down, up and down every week. UGH! On the bright side, my cats are seriously taking advantage of the extra cuddle time with me on the couch lately...it's cute!

It is good you can see a bright side... but I do hope that you feel better soon!! Not feeling well getting in the way of training just stinks!!!

Quote:
So I haven't run in 3 weeks.

Well, I went for one shorty 5.5kms run but thats it.

I've had a bug that I just can't shake. I'm so exhausted that even having a shower leaves me winded and I'm all congested and my chest is full of gunk too. 3 weeks. Ug.

I have Tink coming up soon and I'm panicking that I'm not going to be able to do it.
I think a 5k when you are not feeling well is respectable!!! I hope you feel better soon!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGONNABE40! View Post
I have been reading here for a couple of months now and always felt blessed not to be battling injuries and illness. Then last week-Tuesday to be exact I did something stupid (new shoes + started speed work) and lo and behold...injury! I am really feeling stupid about it tonight. I am seeing the doctor in the morning. I am hopeful it is just tendinitis. I attempted a workout on Sunday and again yesterday, each time making it about 6 minutes.

At this point I am hoping to be healed by the time the Tink comes along and count on adrenaline getting me through where my training has lapsed. I completed a marathon in May and another in June with almost no training, so I am hopeful my body will remember that and get me to the finish in a timely manner.
I hope your injury is minor and your body does a good job at remembering and gets you to that finish!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: