Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #3751
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Let me see if I can get this pix posted. It is near finish and taken by marathonfoto. It has a letter "B" but did he doctor it from a "D"

http://www.marathonfoto.com/Half-Mar...WA/Language/en

hope that link works
ok. photobucket is down right now, so it is the 9th pix of mine, man with black shirt.
His bib number falls within the corral B numbers

Last edited by joan4mickey; 02-27-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #3752
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey
Let me see if I can get this pix posted. It is near finish and taken by marathonfoto. It has a letter "B" but did he doctor it from a "D"

hope that link works
ok. photobucket is down right now, so it is the 9th pix of mine, man with black shirt.
His bib number falls within the corral B numbers
No pics on the link

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #3753
hayrynen
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for posting your comments. It's been an interesting view of the overall race weekend. I have a question about the pictures. I see only a handful of the pictures and some under my name/race bib aren't even me ;-) Will they be adding to these for awhile? Can I expect others to show up? I don't see some of the pics from the end of the race.

I had a pretty good race - though I started in coral A. Missed my PR by 2 min - probably that stop w Cpt Jack Sparrow. Couldn't help myself. Still ran under 2 hours though so was happy with that.

My biggest complaint was the wait for a bus to the race from POR. I was in line with all the other princesses at about 3:30am and wasn't on a bus until just after 4:30. I had to run from the bus to coral A and barely made it by race start.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #3754
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygal041 View Post
No pics on the link
shoot. the link works for me??

another thought is maybe he bought the bib from some one. His number is 5789. and it is clearly a guy..shorts and shirt.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #3755
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
shoot. the link works for me??

another thought is maybe he bought the bib from some one. His number is 5789. and it is clearly a guy..shorts and shirt.
When I click, it say sorry, the page you are trying to get is expired.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #3756
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I always try to get on one of the first buses- get out there around 3:10, usually on bus by 3:15. I cant imagine waiting an hour for a bus!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #3757
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
How could someone lie about time when you have to provide proof of time from a 10K? I understand how someone could really push themselves at a 10K but how could someone lie? Just trying to understand.
Very easily. You put your estimated time, and then there is a box to write the proof. My 10k is 1:26, and my half PR is 3:06..I am usually in E/F depending on the size of the race.

Should I decide I wanted to be in A, I could easily just "make a typo" and put "2012 Miami Halloween Half Marathon: 2:06" in the box. If they didn't check, magically I would be in A.

I don't see any reason to do this, though. I would be trampled in A. I admit, I do put 2:59 assuming 3:00 is a corral cut off, but I still keep pace with the 2:50-3:00 corral just fine.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #3758
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post

hope that link works
The bib number falls within the corral B numbers
It looks like he belongs in corral A. He got a real good proof of time for the lady that sold it to him.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #3759
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandcycle View Post
It looks like he belongs in corral A. He got a real good proof of time for the lady that sold it to him.
Funny, he doesn't look like a Nicole. Not a doctored bib, just a resold one.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #3760
mare1203
Mouseketeer

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Congrats to everyone who got to experience this weekend! The more time that passes the more I am happy about the whole weekend experience. It was my first 1/2 marathon and while I have done a number of races before I was unsure of what to expect of this race. I'm from the Phoenix area and nearly all my race bibs have me at about #550 (my last name is smack dab in the middle of the alphabet), so I knew it would be my first really crowded experience. It was nice to follow this thread and have an idea of what I was getting myself into along the way.

I arrived on Friday and met up with my family as my sister would be running with me and Dad cheering along. My sister's best friend and her mom and sister decided to run as well, so we booked Via Napoli for dinner. I had never eaten here and really enjoyed it. Will definitely be going back. Kathy's bff and family did the Wine & Dine as well as participating in parts of the marathon weekend, so they gave us an overview of what to expect and some wisdom and tips. I am so happy they were there because it was nice to have a "guide" if you will.

I don't like crowds, so the expo was a less than stellar experience for me. The only place I really wanted to hit was Raw Threads, but they were so busy on Saturday it wasn't worth it. I will just order online. The line for the official merch was long, but moved quickly. I got a hat, though my head is apparently the size of a 6 year old, so I'm going to have to add some velcro of my own to really make it work. I thought the booths were way too close together; I would have liked to explore more than I got to. Are they usually more spread out at WWOS?? Or other marathon weekends?

We stayed at the Poly and not sure of how busy it would be, set our alarms for 2 am to catch the 3 am monorail. I did not get much sleep that nightWhen we arrived the monorail CM's said we were the 3rd and 4th people they had seen. Way less crowded than I was expecting! My pre-race experience was good. Our friends wanted to walk to the corrals when they opened, but I think that backfired because by the time we started I needed to use the porta potties! Using them once before entering the corral and then waiting around for another 1 1/2 hours was not the best plan.

We started in D and decided to start at the back b/c we weren't sure what the corrals were like, etc. The course was definitely crowded, but I was able to weave decently...spent quite a bit of time on the far left as that seemed to have fewer abrupt walkers (thanks to those that put up their hands to signal walking! I saw very few doing it along the way and it definitely helped!). I thought the volunteer teams did an amazing job. Miles 8-10 were the worst for me and I started having leg issues that I thought were gone (I'm going to say it was the humidity). It's not my knee and it's not my IT band, so we are still trying to figure out what exactly the issue is, perhaps patellar tendonitis. I'm going to have to get it looked at further if it still gives me issues. I didn't end up stopping for any character pictures, but perhaps if I do another I will try to do so (I think I'm too darned competitive with myself), but the lines when I went by were pretty long. The only one I wish I had gotten was the one with the glass slipper, but I didn't realize what it was until I had run past and didn't want to circle back as that section was a very narrow one. I think it would be fun to do as a group and make it a more fun event because I saw quite a few doing it that way, but I will need to get more of my friends to run in order to do that.

As I crossed the finish line (after cursing Epcot, lol) I got to slap Mickey's hand! I finished in 2:44. My goal was 2:45 so I hit that, yay! If you asked me when I finished if I would do it again I would have said I doubt it, but after food, water/powerade, a soak in the bubbles at the Poly pool, and a nap I changed my tune. It also didn't hurt that there were so many people around congratulating me on my accomplishment.

I'm not sure what Disney will decide to do next, but I think it's always good to remember that Disney doesn't like to do things badly. Yes, they're in it for money, but they are continuously working to try and improve the overall experience for vacationers everywhere. Was this race overcrowded? yes. Could there be changes? Yes. But I am optimistic they'll look to re-evaluate and make things better for the future. I thought the volunteers did a great job; I doubt this will be my last Disney race!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #3761
hayrynen
Earning My Ears

I think there was some problem at POR - or all their busses were stuck in traffic. There was a lady out there telling us they had called in other busses and they would be here soon, etc. There were tons of us staying there and you'd think Disney could have coordinated the transportation better. Lesson learned. If I had been there 30 minutes earlier at 3 I might have gotten on an early bus and avoided that wait.

Also just saw a note on the marathon foot site that they are still adding photos from the event. Just in case someone else had the same question...
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #3762
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

My group trained at a D pace and finished at an H pace .. Is this typical?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #3763
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Frankly I don't care where the men start. Couldn't they just have a fast mens start with a separate finish line for the fast dudes? Around the gospel choir they could push the men one way so the girl winner could still come across the main finish line? Mentally it is tough on me when I know those guys started way in back of me and pass me. In my mind I am thinking when is the first fast guy going to pass me. The first I remember this year was around the ComtemoraryResort, could have been sooner, that's just the first I remember.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #3764
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH

Very easily. You put your estimated time, and then there is a box to write the proof. My 10k is 1:26, and my half PR is 3:06..I am usually in E/F depending on the size of the race.

Should I decide I wanted to be in A, I could easily just "make a typo" and put "2012 Miami Halloween Half Marathon: 2:06" in the box. If they didn't check, magically I would be in A.

I don't see any reason to do this, though. I would be trampled in A. I admit, I do put 2:59 assuming 3:00 is a corral cut off, but I still keep pace with the 2:50-3:00 corral just fine.
Wow really? I was under the impression you had to email them with actual race results from a chipped 10K or longer. I'm shocked you can just enter a fast time and race and no one checks! That's rotten!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 02-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #3765
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra

Wow really? I was under the impression you had to email them with actual race results from a chipped 10K or longer. I'm shocked you can just enter a fast time and race and no one checks! That's rotten!
I also emailed them an official 10k time, I thought that is what we were supposed to do.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: