Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #3691
yulilin3
Disney Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Love this! Yes!

Congrats on the pregnancy!

Just got home yesterday. I agree that it was incredibly crowded and I don't remember them closing the roads down to one lane last year - anyone else?

We started in C but ended up busting butt to avoid the sweepers - and I usually run a 10:30 pace! We just got SO stupid with the pics in the MK especially and were just being so silly! It ended up fine, but it did put a little bit of the fear of God in me to see a biker pass with an orange flag in his hand. OMG! RUN! But then at that point, it was so hard to get around with the route down to one lane. Did LOTS of grass running. Tried to be as polite as I could when passing others or asking to be let through. It was actually comical how much we had to haul to make up time!

DH said he was worried - my 10K split showed I was at a 20:20 pace!

Oh, and I was Peasant Belle and ran the whole way with a basket and a baguette in it (got it in France on Saturday!). I got lots of crazy eye toward the end of the race and whispers of, "ooooh - she has bread!" I totally thought my baguette was gonna get jacked!

Ran with longhorns and saysay dressed as Anastasia and Drizella - it was a hoot! Glad to see Princess V in the corrals! Was looking for you & your agent, Cripey, but didn't spot you!
I started in F, my number 1 goal was to finish and I had trained at a 14:50 mm pace, but my goal number 2 was to get a picture with the heroes...I waited 14 min. for that picture! and then I just got into my groove of run/walk. by mile 4 I saw a lady on a bike yelling "you're 90 secs. ahead of pace" not happy about that but I kept going, then I saw the same lady around mile 7 or 8 "you're 30 secs. behind pace" and then I saw you!! loved your costume with the baguette and all, but boy did I start going as fast as I could, I also had to go on grass for long periods of time, then I saw the bike lady with the flag pass me and when she got to marker 9 she waved that thing I asked her, how bad is it? she said "just go as fast as you can"...by the time I saw her again it was after the second overpass, she recognized me, I asked her "what's the status" she said "you're fine, you're going to finish"...I gave her a huge high five!! I will always remember that persons face for the rest of mi life.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #3692
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

Rapunzel was by the dj after the race. I made sure to find her to get a pic since I too was dressed as her.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #3693
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3 View Post
I started in F, my number 1 goal was to finish and I had trained at a 14:50 mm pace, but my goal number 2 was to get a picture with the heroes...I waited 14 min. for that picture! and then I just got into my groove of run/walk. by mile 4 I saw a lady on a bike yelling "you're 90 secs. ahead of pace" not happy about that but I kept going, then I saw the same lady around mile 7 or 8 "you're 30 secs. behind pace" and then I saw you!! loved your costume with the baguette and all, but boy did I start going as fast as I could, I also had to go on grass for long periods of time, then I saw the bike lady with the flag pass me and when she got to marker 9 she waved that thing I asked her, how bad is it? she said "just go as fast as you can"...by the time I saw her again it was after the second overpass, she recognized me, I asked her "what's the status" she said "you're fine, you're going to finish"...I gave her a huge high five!! I will always remember that persons face for the rest of mi life.
Yes you will!! Congratulations!!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #3694
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

I emailed runDisney about my incorrect times and they've found me and will update my finish time my next week.
My first 2 Disney races I started in Corral F. For the Goofy I was Corral C. This time I started in B. Although I don't know my official time due to issues with my tag registering, my Garmin time was 2:33:50.
In my limited experience I've found that while the course is still crowded in B, it was much less of an issue being in an earlier corral.
I met a woman at the airport who started in F (no races beyond a 5k) and she finished around 2:20. I totally understand how frustrating it was but it's hard for Disney to place her appropriately with no history. I know a lot of people who are afraid of the sweeper hope to be placed as far forward as possible for the extra time cushion but this does further the problem.
I don't see runDisney making these races smaller since they continue to sell out - often quickly!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #3695
DISNEYFOS
DIS Veteran

So it looks like my experience was similar to a lot. Way too crowded and more of an obstacle course than a race.

That was my first 1/2 marathon and first Disney race. I did way better in my training than I did during the actual race because I just couldn't get out of the crowds...there were points where the walkers were 5 across and you had to jump up on a curb or run in the grass or where ever just to get thru. Had people just stop right in front of you..or points where you just gave up running because it was stupid to jog in place.

I did send a note to runDisney asking for improvements..but I'm not sure I will do a Disney race again.

And the Expo..forget it. Couldn't even get a stupid souvenir t-shirt cause the line to get into a "special" area for runDisney specific gear ?!?? What the heck?

I did like the characters and entertainment during the race..but everything else was kinda a disappointment
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #3696
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a lot of people noticed some issues with congestion.... So wanted to chime in with my gripe. It starts with the fact I have suspected that people sometimes fake a time to get into a better corral. I had this notion confirmed when I got to chatting with a nice gal and her mom while on a bus. This gal told me how she heard someone on the bus the morning of the princess say they actually lied about their time so they could get into corral A so that they could take pictures.

Ok... So I can totally appreciate wanting to be able to get every last pic possible- without being swept. However (and here is my real gripe). If you lie about a time or even push way to hard at a 10k just to get that corral.... And then don't train any further and plan to walk... Isn't that selfish? Doesn't that say " my taking pictures is more important than any amount of training you did" ?

So my thought is, why can't rundisney set up the race to cater to both those who want to run and maybe have a little fun and take some pics and also to those who want to finish but maybe don't plan to run. Seems like it would make for a better event for all. It would mean separating the groups... But maybe that would encourage more honesty... Because I know that I had a good idea of when I would finish- and I am sure that some who were in A or B or C knew if they were going to finish in over 3 hours.....
Old 02-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #3697
DISNEYFOS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Sounds like a lot of people noticed some issues with congestion.... So wanted to chime in with my gripe. It starts with the fact I have suspected that people sometimes fake a time to get into a better corral. I had this notion confirmed when I got to chatting with a nice gal and her mom while on a bus. This gal told me how she heard someone on the bus the morning of the princess say they actually lied about their time so they could get into corral A so that they could take pictures.

Ok... So I can totally appreciate wanting to be able to get every last pic possible- without being swept. However (and here is my real gripe). If you lie about a time or even push way to hard at a 10k just to get that corral.... And then don't train any further and plan to walk... Isn't that selfish? Doesn't that say " my taking pictures is more important than any amount of training you did" ?

So my thought is, why can't rundisney set up the race to cater to both those who want to run and maybe have a little fun and take some pics and also to those who want to finish but maybe don't plan to run. Seems like it would make for a better event for all. It would mean separating the groups... But maybe that would encourage more honesty... Because I know that I had a good idea of when I would finish- and I am sure that some who were in A or B or C knew if they were going to finish in over 3 hours.....
I agree. An area specifically for walkers would of made so much more sense...There were sections with cones separating the road and runners jumped over there to actually run only to get pushed back because security cars were going by...

I put a whole year into my training for this....and then to get my worst times.. My husband was getting run updates and he was wondering what the heck happened to me because I was so much slower than expected.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #3698
kanadar
Mouseketeer

Yes I do realize that a man has won more than half of the years this has been running but for this particular half it was not my focus that it was catered to women, it was the specific date that made me want to run my first half as the princess half. As I said first time I posted on this board feb 24 was the date my mom passed away on, 10 years ago. So THAT was what was important to me this time.

I was in D and did see a few people hoping the gate between corrals. I was sitting in the back. The volunteers were facing the entrance gate so they didn't notice. Not sure how many people I saw but it was quite a few. From the start I passed A LOT of walkers. I understand some were possibly interval but Im not sure. But that did bother me that started in the middle of the corrals I passed a lot of walkers. I think u should have to submit a proof time for corrals, just not put down an estimate bc I'm sure a lot of people did put a faster time to allow pictures. Not fair.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #3699
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal

Question: I thought they started the guys back more. My daughter - B group - said there were guys in her corral.
I saw two guys in the B corral. I can only assume that they snuck in since they were running very slow.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #3700
Miz Diz
I'll give up anything, as long as it isn't ice cream
And now my head is really spinningHe can't understand why he can't get me that excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Love this! Yes!

Congrats on the pregnancy!

Just got home yesterday. I agree that it was incredibly crowded and I don't remember them closing the roads down to one lane last year - anyone else?

We started in C but ended up busting butt to avoid the sweepers - and I usually run a 10:30 pace! We just got SO stupid with the pics in the MK especially and were just being so silly! It ended up fine, but it did put a little bit of the fear of God in me to see a biker pass with an orange flag in his hand. OMG! RUN! But then at that point, it was so hard to get around with the route down to one lane. Did LOTS of grass running. Tried to be as polite as I could when passing others or asking to be let through. It was actually comical how much we had to haul to make up time!

DH said he was worried - my 10K split showed I was at a 20:20 pace!

Oh, and I was Peasant Belle and ran the whole way with a basket and a baguette in it (got it in France on Saturday!). I got lots of crazy eye toward the end of the race and whispers of, "ooooh - she has bread!" I totally thought my baguette was gonna get jacked!

Ran with longhorns and saysay dressed as Anastasia and Drizella - it was a hoot! Glad to see Princess V in the corrals! Was looking for you & your agent, Cripey, but didn't spot you!
I saw you and said I could never run 13 miles holding a basket.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #3701
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post

Question: I thought they started the guys back more. My daughter - B group - said there were guys in her corral.
I was in corral B and there were guys in there. As a matter of fact they were dressed up as Princesses and I thought it was so funny that I took a picture of them so I have proof!

I had a very good experience in corral B. But the weird thing is, I don't remember so much of the race!! I didn't stop for any photos until MK where I stopped for three but I did stop at every single water/powerade stop because I was worried about getting dehydrated. I know there were a few stretches that seemed crowded and I did a bit of weaving. But overall I had fun and wasn't disappointed. did anyone else see people that had passed out? I saw two of them and one was literally right as we were leaving Epcot which would have been very disappointing to get that far and not make it to the end. I hope everyone was ok.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #3702
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda

I think that is what the 5k is supposed to be for.

2013 Race Schedule:
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Space Coast Marathon

Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #3703
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00

I was in corral B and there were guys in there. As a matter of fact they were dressed up as Princesses and I thought it was so funny that I took a picture of them so I have proof!

I had a very good experience in corral B. But the weird thing is, I don't remember so much of the race!! I didn't stop for any photos until MK where I stopped for three but I did stop at every single water/powerade stop because I was worried about getting dehydrated. I know there were a few stretches that seemed crowded and I did a bit of weaving. But overall I had fun and wasn't disappointed. did anyone else see people that had passed out? I saw two of them and one was literally right as we were leaving Epcot which would have been very disappointing to get that far and not make it to the end. I hope everyone was ok.
I did see a lot of people on the ground. I actually was thinking that the one just as we left Epcot had jumped into the bushes and tripped on the rocks since they were so far up there.

2013 Race Schedule:
Space Coast Marathon

Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #3704
Princess Cherie
Earning My Ears

Did anyone see the wine glasses at the expo? We're they nice? Totally bummed cause hubby didn't have patience in the expo...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #3705
MissBenilda
USAF Vet/Disney Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3

OMG I think we waited together for the Heroes picture, you were in front of me in line and then you left cause it was taking too long, then I ran into you (not literally) on the overpass...that was you right?
Yes!!! :D Hahahaha I'm so glad I found someone I met at the race on here! Or actually you found me :D

2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon
2014 Glass Slipper Challenge
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: