Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #3676
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

This goes beyond the frustration factor. There is a safety component to this as well. When others stop abruptly in front of you in a crowded field because they either don't know they need to move over or simply can't due to the crowds, then you run the risk of getting plowed into from behind. Even if you don't slam into someone in front of you, stopping abruptly can cause injury to joints, tendons, muscles, etc. No one wants this to happen. And it's hard to get mad at other runners when they simply can't move to the side. Disney needs to widen the course in spots or space out the corral releases more. I don't see them limiting spots...it's too big of a money maker all around for them (hotels, meals, shopping, entry fees, etc) and I think they want to evolve into the biggest one-stop venue for 1/2 marathons (my opinion only).
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #3677
mrsdrake625
DIS Veteran

does corral placement help?

Hey - crashing the thread (I have really enjoyed reading about everyone's race experiences!) to ask about corral placement in reference to crowds.

Reading everyone's comments about the crowding, bad race etiquette, and basically getting trapped behind 10,00 other people, I am curious to correlate the comments to where you started the race.

In other words, if you were in the back of A vs. the front of B, does that make a huge difference? Back of B or front of C? etc. Also, if you submitted a time, what times match up with which corrals? A few people have commented and mentioned where they were, but it would be helpful to compare directly everyone's experiences. Also, if someone next year wants to start in a certain corral, having a general "goal time" for that placement 10k would be helpful.

It seems that if you want to get at least a decent time and not get run over, not planning on stopping for pictures, etc., that the best route to go is to (a) submit a race time and (b) try to get as far forward as possible without being too slow for those behind you.

It is a bummer that it seems like the crowds are kind of dampening the experience for everyone - first race and veterans alike. I really want to do a runDisney race but reports like these are seriously making me reconsider, unless I become a stellar racer overnight and get placed near the front. Which isn't likely!
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #3678
cukal6
Mouseketeer

Congratulations everyone! I just got home from the weekend (long flight back to Switzerland). This was my very first race and I thought it had it's good points as well as bad. The expo was a nightmare!
However, I thought the race itself was okay. A little tight in some spots, but I don't have any other races to compare it to. Also very humid. We don't have that here!!!
I finished in 2:46 and was thrilled. Started in Corral E and did a lot of weaving around walkers. My Nike app said I did 13.9 miles by the time it was done. It will be my last for a while, but would like to do the Wine and Dine 2014 after we move back to the States.

Again, congratulations everyone!
May 1988 Off Site, May 2001 Off Site,August 2005 OKW,December 2006 Pop Century/OKW,December 2008 AKL,New Years 2008 ASSports,April 2009 BC,April 2010 YC,September 2011 BW,April 2012 Disneyland Paris,October 2012 Sequoia Lodge DLP, February 2013 Princess 1/2 Riverside

My Disney Blog
My Facebook Page
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #3679
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdrake625
Hey - crashing the thread (I have really enjoyed reading about everyone's race experiences!) to ask about corral placement in reference to crowds.

Reading everyone's comments about the crowding, bad race etiquette, and basically getting trapped behind 10,00 other people, I am curious to correlate the comments to where you started the race.

In other words, if you were in the back of A vs. the front of B, does that make a huge difference? Back of B or front of C? etc. Also, if you submitted a time, what times match up with which corrals? A few people have commented and mentioned where they were, but it would be helpful to compare directly everyone's experiences. Also, if someone next year wants to start in a certain corral, having a general "goal time" for that placement 10k would be helpful.
!
I was at the front half of C and have previously run a 2:45 half. We quickly caught up with runners from B who had stopped for pictures. I did stop for some pictures and by the time I got to MK, there were runners from further back (saw lots of D, E and F's) that had caught up. I feel like it was very crowded in the middle corals. Hubby ended up running the same pace as I did but started in coral F and said that there were only a couple spots that it was really tight. I just couldn't get a faster pace going. My average pace was over a 15 mm (pic stops included in that time) and trained for between 12-12:30mm

Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #3680
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

For those that have done other Disney races (W&D or the half in Jan)--- is the atmosphere different? I'm sure people still do it for fun, but would you say there is more of a race vibe than a party with your girlfriends vibe? Hubby and I both agree we'd like to do another Disney race, but trying to decide which one. (Unfortunately, west coast is not an option in the near future). Thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #3681
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdrake625 View Post
Front of C to B and front of B to A makes a big difference. That is about 2700 runners that you have to pass. If I'm towards the front of B, sure I will have some A runners to pass, but no where near as many if in C. But this is in a man's view, since we started in C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
For those that have done other Disney races (W&D or the half in Jan)--- is the atmosphere different? I'm sure people still do it for fun, but would you say there is more of a race vibe than a party with your girlfriends vibe? Hubby and I both agree we'd like to do another Disney race, but trying to decide which one. (Unfortunately, west coast is not an option in the near future). Thanks!
W&D is also a party race, not much on course support, but a fun race and one I am going to do again this year given the course last year was much improved to previous year. The best race is definitely marathon weekend. It too is crowded, but I think better organized. However, I do not have a grasp on crowds as I've always been in corral A, which there is thin crowds and plenty of room.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #3682
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa3Princess View Post
Disney do not know how to properly corral people or space the corrals out more.
I think just the shear energy of the Princess run and the fact alot of ladies do get together and do this as their big girl weekend will continue. I know for 2014, I am aiming for corral B, to atleast minimize frustration. It's no ones fault but every major race corrals for a reason. That is to put like speed runners with like speeds!!!
Yes, but dumping the guys into C does prevent keeping all the similarly-paced runners together. Corral C has women who are running anywhere from 5.25 to 4.75 mph (11:30 to 12:30 pace) right alongside men who are running anywhere from that same pace to 6 minute miles. My PR wouldn't quite get me to elite, but my sandbagged half from the Goofy is still well into corral A territory. I really don't want to start in a race where I have (essentially) 3k (or more) runners ahead of me who I am going to catch up and have to weave around, even with a 10-12 minute head start. (That trepidation gets doubled, when I think about the anecdotes of men who find that the women runners can get downright hostile to any guy who has caught up with the corral A runners.)

Yes, yes - I know, women-centered race, etc. The necessity of such a creature aside, there is a real safety issue caused by the combination of this corral placement scheme, poorly-lit areas of the course, and a crowded course.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #3683
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post
Um one more race in the humidity but not quite as bad. DC will be humid in April when we run.
Oh yes, I'm aware. But I figure it'll be a little easier than FL. Haha after DC though I don't think I'm doing ANY east coast races again. It's too much for this desert girl!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #3684
cimrk01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Race was crowded. Had to weave and squeeze through other princesses a lot. That stretch of Grand Floridian road was the worst for congestion in my opinion. Miles 10-12 were tough with all the ups and downs of the road/ramps. I just wanted to run but hills just aren't my best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandcycle View Post

From Corral C we never saw any breathing room for running. We were on top of Corral B in no time. It felt as if you need to be ready to place a stiff arm to keep from falling with all the shenanigans. What possesses someone to stop in the middle of the running surface to take pictures? How do you think you arrived at this place in the course? Why would any group stop running and start walking, five abreast, essentially blocking the two thirds of the roadway? The weekend felt like cross between Filenes Basement and a Rugby Match.
Agreed ^^^

We finished the race with a time well over three hours but we weren't going for PR going in so that was expected. We stopped at every other mile marker to take photos, and with characters. Had a great race overall but what tired us out even more than the humidity was that crazy narrow stretch after the Castle. We were doing our usual intervals and would look back before stopping and would run over to the grass to walk during our breaks then hit the pavement to resume running. Wish most of the interval run/walkers we encountered during this stretch would have shown the same courtesy. If your going to take your walking break please look back before stopping and walk over to the side.

Another issue were those in groups taking up the entire road. One of the basic running etiquette rules every runner should know (even included in the race program) was not to run more than TWO abreast within your party. We must have ran at least 2-3miles off to the side and on the grass straight on because of this.

One question, I'm starting to see the race photos begin to show up but can't find any of the finishing shots with our medals and the character stops. Are those also suppose to show up on Marathonphoto later in the week or through another company?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #3685
Jenn310
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimrk01

Agreed ^^^

We finished the race with a time well over three hours but we weren't going for PR going in so that was expected. We stopped at every other mile marker to take photos, and with characters. Had a great race overall but what tired us out even more than the humidity was that crazy narrow stretch after the Castle. We were doing our usual intervals and would look back before stopping and would run over to the grass to walk during our breaks then hit the pavement to resume running. Wish most of the interval run/walkers we encountered during this stretch would have shown the same courtesy. If your going to take your walking break please look back before stopping and walk over to the side.

Another issue were those in groups taking up the entire road. One of the basic running etiquette rules every runner should know (even included in the race program) was not to run more than TWO abreast within your party. We must have ran at least 2-3miles off to the side and on the grass straight on because of this.

One question, I'm starting to see the race photos begin to show up but can't find any of the finishing shots with our medals and the character stops. Are those also suppose to show up on Marathonphoto later in the week or through another company?
My finisher shot with medal just showed up within the last hour. No finish line pictures yet though. I didn't stop for pictures,so can't answer that.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #3686
Princess Cherie
Earning My Ears

Hi ladies. We did it! My time was horrible but I can blame it on an injury and the crowded course. I agree with cimrk01 about etiquette and running more than 2 people wide. I guess I was hormonal cause I almost cried a couple times out of frustration (or pain, or both...).

All in all, I'm glad I did it, but I highly doubt I will run the Princess again. It was my first half marathon (not my first race) and felt while the accomplishment is there, the legitimacy is not. I felt like I didn't have a chance to do my best which was very disappointing. I am thinking about the wine & dine but fear it might be the same situation with overcrowdedness... is that true? Not to mention the un-Godly hour in which I needed to get up.

As far as hotel accomodations, I couldn't warn folks about Carribbean Beach enough. It was awful. Poor/no/slow service and you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and to go anywhere is a trek. The website was very misleading.

Anyway, I'm proud of all of you and hope you continue to be Princesses!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #3687
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandcycle View Post
The weekend felt like cross between Filenes Basement and a Rugby Match.
Love this! Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBenilda View Post
For my first 1/2 i loved it! It wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. I found out i was pregnant 2 days before i left for Orlando so i ran my first 1/2 marathon 6 weeks pregnant, LOL.
Congrats on the pregnancy!

Just got home yesterday. I agree that it was incredibly crowded and I don't remember them closing the roads down to one lane last year - anyone else?

We started in C but ended up busting butt to avoid the sweepers - and I usually run a 10:30 pace! We just got SO stupid with the pics in the MK especially and were just being so silly! It ended up fine, but it did put a little bit of the fear of God in me to see a biker pass with an orange flag in his hand. OMG! RUN! But then at that point, it was so hard to get around with the route down to one lane. Did LOTS of grass running. Tried to be as polite as I could when passing others or asking to be let through. It was actually comical how much we had to haul to make up time!

DH said he was worried - my 10K split showed I was at a 20:20 pace!

Oh, and I was Peasant Belle and ran the whole way with a basket and a baguette in it (got it in France on Saturday!). I got lots of crazy eye toward the end of the race and whispers of, "ooooh - she has bread!" I totally thought my baguette was gonna get jacked!

Ran with longhorns and saysay dressed as Anastasia and Drizella - it was a hoot! Glad to see Princess V in the corrals! Was looking for you & your agent, Cripey, but didn't spot you!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 02-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #3688
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Oh - and I just compared the 2013 medal to the previous 2 - that thing is WAY blinged out! So we've got that!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #3689
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Oh, and I was Peasant Belle and ran the whole way with a basket and a baguette in it (got it in France on Saturday!). I got lots of crazy eye toward the end of the race and whispers of, "ooooh - she has bread!" I totally thought my baguette was gonna get jacked!

Ran with longhorns and saysay dressed as Anastasia and Drizella - it was a hoot! Glad to see Princess V in the corrals! Was looking for you & your agent, Cripey, but didn't spot you!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #3690
JoyaDelMar
Mouseketeer

Hi ladies!! Congratulations to all!!

I plan on doing a full recap but have to say that for my first race, I was pretty happy with it all.

Yes, the roads were somewhat crowded at points (but I also noticed a lot of points where it seemed much clearer - until a large group ran by - must've been running at the back of a corral). And yes, I met a lot of grumpy or rude people (including a lady who ran into me when I was off to the side of the road and yelled just because I was stopped, though I'd been stopped for a full minute prior to her coming up). Oh and my bus got lost and dropped us off in the completely wrong spot. Whoops!

But the course entertainment was fun and people were supportive on the whole. Plus I got tons of fun photos and met so many great people in line for things. Finished in 3:38 with photos and breaks - was planning on 2:55 without so I feel okay.

Offhanded, where was Rapunzel? I was dressed as her and sad I missed that photo op!

Boarding the plane now... Pretty sore and tired but thrilled to have shared this race with all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Upcoming in 2013: 5th Anniversary Princess Half Marathon // 2012: WDW Trip - First Time on the Dining Plan, DCL Dream 3-Night Bahamas February 9, TLCC Post-Conference Trip to Disneyland, DCL Fantasy 7-Night Eastern Caribbean September 8 // 2011: TLCC Conference @ Bonnet Creek, DCL Magic 7-Night Western Caribbean October 1 (Anniversary Trip!) // 2010: Birthday Trip to MK and HS // 2009: DCL Wonder 3-Night February 12, Christmas Eve in Hollywood // 2008: Spring Break 08 - Pirate and Princess Party // 2007: Scurvy in the New Year, CM Surprise, Best Friend Park Hopping, Holidays Around The World // 2006: BF's Pop Century, Spring Break 06 - Mead Summer Sizzler, Family Xmas @ DD // 2005: BF's August Album // 2000 - 2004: Park Hopping with Sophie (x10), Weekends with the Family (x4) // 1997 - 2000: Youth Group Retreat @ WDW, Night of Joy 1999, FW Camping with Friends // 1992 - 1997: Weekends with the Family (x6), Dad's Kingdom '96, // 1992: 1st Trip to WDW! // 1989: 1st Trip to Disneyland!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: