Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #301
Miss Lindy
Runderella

Hi Princesses!

This is my first half marathon and I'm beyond excited! Feel free to add me to the list. I'm both traveling and running solo. I've been training for a few weeks now and slowly building up. Anyway, looking forward to running with you!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #302
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipaige2004 View Post
Does anyone run with custom orthodics? I just had my feet cast for them. My question is what to do for shoes...I currently run in stability shoes, but the orthodics should, in theory, do all of that correction for me so stability shoes may be too much of a good thing. My podiastrist said I could try running in the stability but I should probably move to neutral. What have others done? And in this case, did you just move to the neutral shoe of your normal brand or what? Confused!

Jodi
I have custom orthotics that I can't live without! When I got them the orthotist suggested going to a neutral shoe for the same reason you said. I had gotten a pair of Asics cumulus and they just didn't feel right. I had and still wear Asics GT 2170s (stability shoes) that I just put the orthotics to just get used to them and found I needed just that little extra boost. I have had them since the end of June and have had NO shin pain. I am also training for the Disney full and did 20 miles this past weekend with no pain at all. I think it's just a matter of trial and see. If you have a running store that will let you return worn shoes I would go with them and try a bouple of pairs.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #303
sau418
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info about running ten miles and being able to finish . I am up to ten already so from here it is focus on time . I have another half 8 weeks fternoon the princess and it will be competitive.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #304
EEsloveDis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra

Here is the stretch. Make sure to flex the crossed foot, hold for at least 30 seconds, and do it on both sides, 3 times each.
Thank you. I'm feeling a little better tonight.
1986-1st trip~5/2006-Animal Kingdom~6/2008-Beach Club~10/2009-Contemporary~2/2010-Pop Century~6/2010-Star Wars Weekend French Quarter~12/2010-Marco Island~12/2011-Riverside~8/2012-Hilton Bonnet Creek~9/2012-Caribbean~10/2012-Hilton Downtown Disney~2/2013-Princess Half Marathon Hilton Bonnet Creek
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #305
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lindy View Post
Hi Princesses!

This is my first half marathon and I'm beyond excited! Feel free to add me to the list. I'm both traveling and running solo. I've been training for a few weeks now and slowly building up. Anyway, looking forward to running with you!
Hi Miss Lindy! Welcome to the Princess! Check out the thread for the solo travelers and runners if you are interested in meeting up with some fellow Princesses.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...3#post46848193
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #306
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEsloveDis

Thank you. I'm feeling a little better tonight.
Oh yay! Remember to do it before getting out of bed every morning, and before sleep at night. :-)

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #307
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Sorry I have been an absentee Princess lately. Work has been busy but also, I am getting sad about not being able to run still. I have my video gait analysis tonight and am hoping he agrees that I can run at least some now. I haven't run in about 4 weeks and it shows.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #308
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
Hi Miss Lindy! Welcome to the Princess! Check out the thread for the solo travelers and runners if you are interested in meeting up with some fellow Princesses.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...3#post46848193
Just quoting this to remind myself to add it to the OP later.

Anyone that's waiting to be added to the list, I'm planning on getting to that sort of stuff tonight. I'm beginning to feel like the universe is out to get me. I spent all day yesterday in the hospital with my mom, who had surgery, and trying to juggle finishing up a paper & presentation and dealing with a sick child.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #309
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan View Post
Thanks! I did a 2 mile treadmill run yesterday. It felt okay. Way way less pain after. Still there though. I'm RICEing though! I'm thinking of trying a foam roller too. I have KT tape, but I cant quite get it right based on the video.
If you have a Tuesday Morning store by you, you might check there for foam rollers. I found one there for $19.99. I also saw one at Marshall's also, but it was a little shorter than the Tuesday Morning one, so I returned it. It was $14.99.

Can anyone post some exercises to do with the foam rollers? I also have the Tiger Tail, but don't know really what is the best way to use either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lindy View Post
Hi Princesses!

Welcome!

jodipaige2004: I saw the foot dr yesterday about my orthotics. He made a small tweak and told me if I am feeling ok on Thursday, I can start running! I asked about what I should do for shoes and he told me that since the orthotic is designed to "fix" any issues, there isn't a need to get the expensive shoes. He said the cheaper Asics I got at Kohl's were fine since I was adjusting to them.

That being said, I have heard that now from two different doctors, but I still wonder if I "need" the "real" running shoes. I may still go by the running store to see if there is anything that just feels amazing. I do know I do not want to be in any type of stability shoe with the insole. That is part of what started some pain before. The running store said the insole and shoe were working against each other.

Good luck with your orthotics. Once you get adjusted to them (I was told 3 weeks for the first follow up), then try putting them in shoes. My biggest issue is the shoes get tighter with the orthotic in them, so shoe shoes get ruled out as soon as I slide my foot in.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #310
semejorado
Earning My Ears

Guys I am so excited to say that on Sunday I ran the most I have ever run in my life!

I was able to complete 7.37 miles in an hour and a half!!!!!

When I hit mile 7 I began to cry because he fastest I had ever previously jogged was a 10k 6 years ago.

I had I share I am so proud!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #311
semejorado
Earning My Ears

Sorry for the typos writing on the phone is terrible.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #312
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE="poohbear8"]

If you have a Tuesday Morning store by you, you might check there for foam rollers. I found one there for $19.99. I also saw one at Marshall's also, but it was a little shorter than the Tuesday Morning one, so I returned it. It was $14.99.

Does anyone have a pic of the foam rollers. I don't know what I am looking for
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #313
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Sorry I have been an absentee Princess lately. Work has been busy but also, I am getting sad about not being able to run still. I have my video gait analysis tonight and am hoping he agrees that I can run at least some now. I haven't run in about 4 weeks and it shows.
Hang in there - running pain-free was TOTALLY worth the wait, I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
Just quoting this to remind myself to add it to the OP later.

Anyone that's waiting to be added to the list, I'm planning on getting to that sort of stuff tonight. I'm beginning to feel like the universe is out to get me. I spent all day yesterday in the hospital with my mom, who had surgery, and trying to juggle finishing up a paper & presentation and dealing with a sick child.
You've got a lot going on - the list is so not a priority! Some days just plain suck... but they pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semejorado View Post
Guys I am so excited to say that on Sunday I ran the most I have ever run in my life!
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
Does anyone have a pic of the foam rollers. I don't know what I am looking for
This is what I use:

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #314
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by semejorado View Post

I was able to complete 7.37 miles in an hour and a half!!!!!

When I hit mile 7 I began to cry because he fastest I had ever previously jogged was a 10k 6 years ago.

I had I share I am so proud!
great job! I got choked up alot too during the last stretches of my training runs for my first half...I reached new distances every other week and it was so exciting. 10 miles is what really got to me though...I had a good cry about that one the first time! It just seemed soooo unattainable at the time and it was so overwhelming to actually do it for the first time...and survive

Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #315
sau418
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey

great job! I got choked up alot too during the last stretches of my training runs for my first half...I reached new distances every other week and it was so exciting. 10 miles is what really got to me though...I had a good cry about that one the first time! It just seemed soooo unattainable at the time and it was so overwhelming to actually do it for the first time...and survive
10 is such a huge milestone. Instill can not wrap my head around the fact that I did ten miles.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: