Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #3046
Lawyer Mommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
thanks.

As for looking forward to less long runs... I have really grown to like them overall... but the time commitment is what is killing me. I need to be able to accomplish some stuff. 30 minutes I can fit in and recover easily. Even 60... but when I start doing 90 or more it starts to seem like my day is devoted to warm up... run... and cool down.

Still think I am pretty new to this running thing. Started last year to begin to train for the ToT... once that was over started training for the PHM.... but since I am not starting from nothing I am not sure where to go after the PHM. So after the phm.. what does everyone do? I was hoping to once a month to still go out for a long run. Is that not wise/possible? Will I not be able to do a long run if I only go out for it once a month. I was thinking of doing basically... 2- 5k distances during the week and then a 10k distance on the weekend...with one a month being longer. My next "big race" will be ToT... so training for that should come much easier if I stay with some sort of routine..right?
I'm signed up for a 5K in April intentionally so that I will not backslide from all the good progress that I've made training for the PHM. I picked a smaller mileage race for the exact reason you identified -- it is hard to get in long runs. I've found an intermediate training program to run a faster 5K and plan on following that. It's 8 weeks long, and I only have 6 weeks between the PHM and the 5K, so I'm just planning on cutting out the first 2 weeks of the program. I am not good without a "plan" so this seemed to be the best approach for me. I'm going to be looking for another race after the 5K so that I can continue to have some sort of a goal.

Like you, I am totally new to this. I'd love to hear what others do after the PHM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #3047
Lawyer Mommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_princess View Post
I need some advice. Yesterday I got sick with fever, coughing etc. I'm right now in bed feeling really sorry for my self.

Yesterday I was suppose to run my last fast run and tomorrow I'm suppose to run my last long run (7-8 miles)
Next week I'm suppose to do two short runs.
So should I squeeze in a long run next week when I feel better, or should I just forget about the two runs this weekend and stick to the plan? I have already done two longer runs the last two weekends (10 and 11 miles)
I'm just so nervous about loosing my form.
If you've done 10 and 11 miles, you're ready for the race. I would not squeeze in a long run that close to the race. It will probably hurt you more than it will help. Once you feel completely better, I think it's OK to resume your schedule as planned (that is, do your short runs).

I'm sorry that you feel so bad! Drink lots of fluids and rest. That's what you need. Good luck recovering quickly.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #3048
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher31

I've done the Nashville! Are you from here? If not, be ready for hills. I live here and thought I was used to them. Not so much. Good luck!
I'm from s Mississippi, but I ran the Mississippi blues marathon in Jackson and it is all hills too. I'm not fast but even there I maintained a 14 min pace. I practice hills every run. My DH requested Nashville so I'm excited Thanks for the warning.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #3049
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_princess View Post
I need some advice. Yesterday I got sick with fever, coughing etc. I'm right now in bed feeling really sorry for my self.

Yesterday I was suppose to run my last fast run and tomorrow I'm suppose to run my last long run (7-8 miles)
Next week I'm suppose to do two short runs.
So should I squeeze in a long run next week when I feel better, or should I just forget about the two runs this weekend and stick to the plan? I have already done two longer runs the last two weekends (10 and 11 miles)
I'm just so nervous about loosing my form.
You will lose more by pushing your body while it is trying to fight what ever you have. Rest and if you feel like it, try a short slow run to loosen up your legs mid week. I had the same thing in 2011, day before my last LR, two weeks out from race, sick in bed. I did a short slow run mid week before the race and finished fine. More to that story, but I finished with a good time.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #3050
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I notice that you are from the PNW... me too

oh... I think that maybe a bit less than what I was planning. If my plan is to go 6 on my weekend runs but turn that into an 8 or 10... that would be too much, right?

Sounds like what I was thinking of doing... but going from 6 to 10 would be more than the 10% ?

Just listen to your body. As we all should each and every run. If I feel a twing here or there I will continue to run for a few minutes and see how I am feeling. Many times it goes away, but it it continues, I will slow down and stop if need be. The main thing is knowing your body and problem areas, ie. IT, PF etc.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #3051
Maddies Mama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
I'm from s Mississippi, but I ran the Mississippi blues marathon in Jackson and it is all hills too. I'm not fast but even there I maintained a 14 min pace. I practice hills every run. My DH requested Nashville so I'm excited Thanks for the warning.
Hello! Where are you at in south MS? I'm on the coast in Biloxi.

Disney Cruises: Dream 12/11

Run Disney: 12/11 Castaway Cay 5k, 02/13 Princess 1/2 Marathon

Coming soon: Star Wars Rebel Challenge, Disneyland 01/15

Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #3052
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

I have a question regarding a different race with hopes maybe some princesses have done it before. Have any of you participated in the Rock'n'Roll half marathon? Thoughts on it? I'm debating visiting my uncle in Seattle and running in that one... But I wanted to know if any of you had done it and your experience/atmosphere! Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #3053
ataylorrdh
Mouseketeer

Ran 12 miles today in the snow....no longer nervous about finishing! All about having fun now!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #3054
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddies Mama

Hello! Where are you at in south MS? I'm on the coast in Biloxi.
Halfway between Lucedale and Moss Point in the country.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #3055
StarGirl11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post

I have a question regarding a different race with hopes maybe some princesses have done it before. Have any of you participated in the Rock'n'Roll half marathon? Thoughts on it? I'm debating visiting my uncle in Seattle and running in that one... But I wanted to know if any of you had done it and your experience/atmosphere! Thanks
I did Denver one year and it was okay.

My trainer on the other hand hates it with a deep burning passion. The first year they did it here they weren't managing the sweeping right. And where it was usually 16 minutes from the last runner, that year it was from the front ! Or so I heard. She also complained about them running out of refreshments and other such problems. Also mentioned the AZ one had problems.

Its not enough to deter me personally (I need to sweep the Triple Crown medal as a horse racing fan). But just keep in mind that RockN'Roll has had problems before in certain locations.

Finished RunDisney Races: Princess 2012, Tinkerbell 2012-2014, Disneyland Half 2011-2012, Dumbo Double Dare 2013, Wine and Dine 2013, Disneyland 5k 2012, WDW 5k 2012
Finished Races: Nike Women's Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Marathon 2011, Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon 2011, Santa Anita Derby 5k 2011-2014, Golden Gallop 10k 2013, Surf City 10k 2013, Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon 2011, Rock 'n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon 2011, 9/11 Remembrance Run Half Marathon 2011, Race On the Base 10k 2014, Innovation Run 5k 2014, and other races I am missing off the top of my head

Upcoming RunDisney Races: Dumbo Double Dare 2014, Disneyland 5k 2014, Wine and Dine 2014 & Avengers Half Marathon 2014 (aka my first attempt at a double back since 2011), WDW 5k 2015, WDW Marathon 2015 , Tinkerbell 5k 2015, Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon 2015, Dumbo Double Dare 2015, Avengers 2015 (if I don't do these I will be shocked),
Upcoming Races: LA Quarter Marathon 2014, MCM 17.75 2015 (contingent on how well WDW goes because this will be my entry into the Marine Corps Marathon, if I run a sub 6:00 marathon than its all green for this race, thank god registration for this is post-WDW)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #3056
Maddies Mama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
Halfway between Lucedale and Moss Point in the country.
Practically neighbors! Nice to meet another fellow south Mississippian on the board here.

Disney Cruises: Dream 12/11

Run Disney: 12/11 Castaway Cay 5k, 02/13 Princess 1/2 Marathon

Coming soon: Star Wars Rebel Challenge, Disneyland 01/15

Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #3057
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Hello all. Here we are, less than 1 week away. I just want to send out a huge thank you for all the advice and encouragement I have received. Last month I was an emotional wreck. I'm better thanks to all of you. On Sunday, we will do something that only 1% of the world's population ever does. I'm not sure if it's a girl power thing, but it is truly special. I'm still scared about the run, but I know we all will have fun! See everyone soon!

Cheers,

Cindy😊

Old 02-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #3058
glovergirls
Mouseketeer

@Annmarieda, Nice to "meet" you. Where abouts are you, I am in Washington state too
Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #3059
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygal041 View Post
Hello all. Here we are, less than 1 week away. I just want to send out a huge thank you for all the advice and encouragement I have received. Last month I was an emotional wreck. I'm better thanks to all of you. On Sunday, we will do something that only 1% of the world's population ever does. I'm not sure if it's a girl power thing, but it is truly special. I'm still scared about the run, but I know we all will have fun! See everyone soon!

Cheers,

Cindy��
You made it through a difficult month !!!!!!

I think it is a girl power thing and I can't wait to get out and run it.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #3060
Disneyland_emily
I soo need to get that
I *knew* there was a reason I still had faith in people
I can't sleep unless I say goodnight to Drew

RE: Rock n Roll- I just ran Rock n Roll St. Pete last week and overall enjoyed it (heard quite a few 'Run Disney' runners commenting how it was so much nicer than any disney race..)

Its not on my MUST run list (didn't love the medal, concerns over the chip timing, few other minor pet peeves) but since Disney keeps pricing me out of their races I may end up running it again (since I did like their expo and take aways, course and post race goodies)

-em

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: