Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #286
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Here is the stretch. Make sure to flex the crossed foot, hold for at least 30 seconds, and do it on both sides, 3 times each.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #287
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra

Here is the stretch. Make sure to flex the crossed foot, hold for at least 30 seconds, and do it on both sides, 3 times each.
And be sure to pull from behind the knee your ankle is resting on. Don't ever pull on your ankle. You don't want to add bad ankles to bad hips

I love this stretch! You can do it standing up, if you're in a pinch and don't have somewhere to lie down.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #288
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookwood
Powerade is the drink of choice at the Disney races (or at least all I've been to.) I usually buy a bottle in the food court and carry it thought the 1st half of the race with me as I tend to like a sip or 2 each mile- just to "wet my whistle" because I tend to have a really runny nose the first part of any run. (I also carry a hankie any time I run LOL)

So Yes you can get Powerade (unless they have changed since last year) along the course and at the resorts, even in the parks.
I looked at the map and it seems like the water stations are pretty far apart. I thought I saw at least a couple of stretches that looked about 1.5 miles apart, one maybe even more. Is that enough water for most people? I think I'll have to carry a water bottle--I can't go a mile without a sip!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #289
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
I looked at the map and it seems like the water stations are pretty far apart. I thought I saw at least a couple of stretches that looked about 1.5 miles apart, one maybe even more. Is that enough water for most people? I think I'll have to carry a water bottle--I can't go a mile without a sip!
You're right...they are at least 1.5 miles apart at times...it's not enough for me and I like to have the drink I like anyway, so I always wear my own hydration belt. I do 1 mile intervals so I like to have a drink during my walk break at each mile. If you're training to drink at intervals different from what will be on the course, then I say bring your own and do what your body is used to already!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #290
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
When the race was over I noticed my hat was VERY salt crusted, indicating I had lost WAY too much sodium even though I was drinking what I thought was plenty of electrolytes. Could this have been the cause of my energy drop?
I'm no doctor, but my answer is that it could be... I had the very same symptoms on a couple training runs this summer (I'm in FL, so I'm talking about full sun, 97* and 90% humidity - HOT!), despite drinking plenty of water and Gatorade. After a talk with my doc, I switched to drinking Nuun on my hot runs and made sure to eat some salty things the day before. Made a world of difference! YMMV, of course, and do consider the fairly extreme conditions in which I was running, as well as the fact that my normal diet is very low in sodium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
And my marathon running friend insists that as long as I make it to 10 miles in training that I'll finish the half.
That's what I keep hearing, too, and I'm hoping they're right! Congrats on being done with the Cipro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
would love to have the 11:00 min mi another princess posted here !!!
Me too! I thought I'd be sub-12:00 by now, and instead I'm happy to be sub-14:00 on the occasional split lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
I looked at the map and it seems like the water stations are pretty far apart. I thought I saw at least a couple of stretches that looked about 1.5 miles apart, one maybe even more. Is that enough water for most people?
Not for me! I don't think... I haven't ever done a long run in cool weather, so I don't know for sure. I was going through 60+ ounces during my summer runs between 7-10 miles and I needed to continually sip, not wait and load up every couple miles.

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #291
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post

That's what I keep hearing, too, and I'm hoping they're right! Congrats on being done with the Cipro

I just finished my 3rd half and never did more than 10 in training, and I was not at all in shape when I started training for the Princess last year! It was always fine! Of course, that's assuming you just want to finish. If you have time goals, you may need to get more mileage in, but for a first half, all you need to do is cross that line before the balloon ladies do! Galloway only has the distance go up that far to overcome the mental barrier to 13.1.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #292
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
I just finished my 3rd half and never did more than 10 in training, and I was not at all in shape when I started training for the Princess last year! It was always fine! Of course, that's assuming you just want to finish. If you have time goals, you may need to get more mileage in, but for a first half, all you need to do is cross that line before the balloon ladies do! Galloway only has the distance go up that far to overcome the mental barrier to 13.1.
Thank you for posting that - it really helps every time I hear a real-life story of someone who DID it! I used to have a time goal - then I got injured. Now I just want to finish without wishing I was dead for the last few miles, lol!

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #293
SandyandKaren
Earning My Ears

Disney Princess Half Marathon

Please add us ( Sandy and Karen) to the list. This will be our first half marathon ever. I am celebrating my 50th birthday this weekend with this race.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #294
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Son-of-a-motherless-goat I just can't win! Just as I was trying to get back on training track after Thanksgiving and a nutty week last week, I start coming down with a really nasty cold. I have no idea if I'll be able to get out there today or not...and I was already going to have to miss my scheduled run on Thursday this week because of a work party that I have to attend...ugh, I don't know what to do. Plus...it's only like 81 degrees here...so gross and humid. Definitely doesn't feel like December when you're trimming the tree and wrapping gifts while wearing shorts and cranking the AC down.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #295
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey

You're right...they are at least 1.5 miles apart at times...it's not enough for me and I like to have the drink I like anyway, so I always wear my own hydration belt. I do 1 mile intervals so I like to have a drink during my walk break at each mile. If you're training to drink at intervals different from what will be on the course, then I say bring your own and do what your body is used to already!
Maybe part of it is that I'm in Fl and even when it's "cool," it's still warmer than what most people train in. If it would ever go below 70, maybe I wouldn't need so much water!!! Well, once it was 55 when I ran and that was nice. But I think you're right--I'll be used to it from training, so I'll need to stick with it in the actual race.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #296
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Son-of-a-motherless-goat I just can't win! Just as I was trying to get back on training track after Thanksgiving and a nutty week last week, I start coming down with a really nasty cold. I have no idea if I'll be able to get out there today or not...and I was already going to have to miss my scheduled run on Thursday this week because of a work party that I have to attend...ugh, I don't know what to do. Plus...it's only like 81 degrees here...so gross and humid. Definitely doesn't feel like December when you're trimming the tree and wrapping gifts while wearing shorts and cranking the AC down.
I hear you about the weather! We don't have humidity but it's so warm and December. Makes no sense! I hope you have a speedy recovery from your cold .
Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #297
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
No joke! I put in a Christmas movie Saturday because I wanted something to feel festive. 80s and not to mention I felt under the weather Saturday. Not good when I've got a half this weekend

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #298
princessmeghan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post
I'm doing the race retreat and I will probably bring a hoodie to toss.

Take it slow with your training. You can do this! I am just getting back in training too. When I first started training for my first race, I used to remind myself, "If I could go any slower, I was going too fast." My "jog" on the treadmill (I trained in Jan for the Feb 5k) was really a fast walk. Over time I was able to get it up to a faster walk. Go for 4, you will be able to do it!!
Thanks! I did a 2 mile treadmill run yesterday. It felt okay. Way way less pain after. Still there though. I'm RICEing though! I'm thinking of trying a foam roller too. I have KT tape, but I cant quite get it right based on the video.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #299
princessmeghan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Thanks for posting this! I chose not to do Galloway bc of the distances he has you go. It's a huge extra time commitment. I'm doing Hal Higdons novice plan which takes you to 10 miles. I've been slightly worried about it since choosing it. It's great to hear from someone who has "only" done 10.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #300
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wish I had the warm weather problem!! We had rain and cold weather in Southern Ca the past few days

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: