Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #2791
RunnerRen
~Ren~

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom View Post
Anyone else nervous of doing something silly in the next two weeks (like tripping and spraining an ankle)?
YES! I had my first runner nightmare last night. Dreamt I woke up this morning and had really painful PF... it was one of those dreams where it felt so real. When I actually woke up I had to do foot stretches just to make sure there was no pain and I actually was just dreaming!

~All Our Dreams Can Come True, if We Have the Courage to Pursue Them~
Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #2792
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftyswifty View Post
Hi There! I am new to posting in this thread, but was looking for some extremely last minute advice and/or help! This was to be my first 1/2 marathon - I've always been a runner, but this was my first go around with this kind of training...

A little less than a month ago I was diagnosed with ITBS in my right knee. I am currently taking anti-inflammatory medication, going to physical therapy 2-3 times a week, icing, stretching, etc. and have begun testing my limits... Unfortunately, I can not seem to go past 2 miles without my knee acting up.

Is anyone else in this same predicament or have you gone through this? I don't know if it's just too late in the game to even try a walk mile/run mile strategy come run day?? I am so beside myself ~ definitely not the experience I've been prepping for! I know there will be other races, and I don't want to injure myself badly, but this has been a goal of mine for over a year now...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!
Yep, BT/DT. ITBS hit me HARD last summer, as I was training for the TOT 10-Miler. The biggest piece of advice I can offer is this: do not try to run through the pain. The second biggest piece of advice? DO NOT RUN THROUGH THE PAIN. For real - your knee hurts because the overly tight IT band is rubbing against it; until you let it rest enough for the inflammation to go down, you're just re-inflaming it every time you keep going in pain.

My real second piece of advice is that it can take a loooong time to come back from ITBS. Mine started in Aug.; I just had my first pain-free long run last week. In addition to the PT and IDing what brought ITBS on in the first pace, it's best to start back with baby steps, stopping your runs before pain strikes.

I know - not what you want to hear right now. I didn't want to hear it, either, and pushed myself through the TOT... I made things so much worse by doing so. Honestly, I'd plan on walking most or all of the Princess. It's pretty late to test out intervals, but what I found to work initially was this: walk first mile; 1/4 mile of :30run/2:00walk intervals; 1/4 mile walk; 1/4 mile intervals; etc. See how that works on some short runs and adjust the walking intervals up or down as needed.

Good luck! I KNOW how sucky this feels and I'm so sorry you're dealing with it.

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #2793
JenNel85
Mouseketeer

Okay, so I haven't been having dreams about the race (at least not that I can recall when I wake up), but I am officially losing sleep over it now.

The last two nights I've been lying there imagining everything that could possibly go wrong over and over in my mind. You know, ridiculous things like what would happen if my alarm doesn't go off on race morning or my flight to FL is canceled or I slip on a patch of ice and break my leg, and on and on and on.

It's my first half, and I definitely feel physically ready, but now I'm officially losing my mind!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #2794
Maddies Mama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookwood View Post
I've been worried more about germs than hurting myself.
Germs are on my radar too. I have a history of being completely healthy until it's time to leave for a vacation. I chalk it up to stress. I have yet to catch the tummy bug & strep that's been going around here, so I'm thinking 1-2 days before race day would a great time to catch all that stuff Trying to keep up with preventive maintenance as best I can, washing hands, taking vitamins, staying hydrated. If it happens, it happens, but I do still worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenNel85 View Post
Okay, so I haven't been having dreams about the race (at least not that I can recall when I wake up), but I am officially losing sleep over it now.

The last two nights I've been lying there imagining everything that could possibly go wrong over and over in my mind. You know, ridiculous things like what would happen if my alarm doesn't go off on race morning or my flight to FL is canceled or I slip on a patch of ice and break my leg, and on and on and on.

It's my first half, and I definitely feel physically ready, but now I'm officially losing my mind!
I'm with you there! I wake up with my heart racing from having some kind of dream about the race where something goes wrong and then I can't sleep for an hour or two. The funny thing is that consciously, I'm not even stressing about the race!! I guess my subconscious has other plans. Get some sleep!

Disney Cruises: Dream 12/11

Run Disney: 12/11 Castaway Cay 5k, 02/13 Princess 1/2 Marathon

Coming soon: Star Wars Rebel Challenge, Disneyland 01/15

Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #2795
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenNel85 View Post

This is me!!! I'm usually someone that goes with the flow and I don't worry about much. But I find myself looking at the weather - what if it's too hot or too cold? What if we get a blizzard on the day I fly out? We've gotten a lot of snow and what if I get in an accident? And I think of the alarm not going off too (I'm also going to request a wake up call). I'm going to have an ulcer by the time the PHM actually rolls around! I'm also packing all of my race stuff in a carry on because I don't want my luggage to get lost!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #2796
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygal041 View Post
Where r u staying? I hope I can make it back before they close it down @ 10:30.
Ha, making it back to the race retreat before they close AND not getting swept will be my two big motivations for walking as fast as I can. I gotta get my money's worth from the race and the race retreat!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #2797
saysay
DIS Veteran

Congrats to all we are in the taper!!!!! Wahoo.

For those dealing with injuries, please follow whatever advice your doctors/PT's gave you. I am NOT a doctor, but I say rest up before the race. I had Plantars Faciitis 2 years ago and that was such a disapointment, but I did finish the race, I just took it slow and enjoyed the scenery! Lots of people will be walking, so don't feel bad, just be courteous.

Working on finalizing my costumer thanks to Longhorns2 who will be Drizella. Here is my anastasia costume....working on my gold glitter foam comb for the hat or visor. We will be in Corral C!

Disneyland - 2009 Sheraton, 2010 Candy Cane Inn, 2012 Grand Californian
WDW - 2010, 2011, 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011, 2012 The Swan, 2012 POFQ, 2013 POR, Sheraton Vistana, 2014 POR, CR, AKL
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #2798
JenNel85
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
This is me!!! I'm usually someone that goes with the flow and I don't worry about much. But I find myself looking at the weather - what if it's too hot or too cold? What if we get a blizzard on the day I fly out? We've gotten a lot of snow and what if I get in an accident? And I think of the alarm not going off too (I'm also going to request a wake up call). I'm going to have an ulcer by the time the PHM actually rolls around! I'm also packing all of my race stuff in a carry on because I don't want my luggage to get lost!
YES! Same here. I'm totally obsessing about the weather on the big day, and have definitely been worried about getting hit with another snow storm and it interfering with my flight, heaven forbid. I'm already working on packing my carry-on with race day essentials!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #2799
TXAng
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
Same here. Well, no worries about snow since we're in Texas, but trying to get all the details of the trip finalized is driving me nuts! I think this is the least prepared I've ever been for a Disney trip - but I'm still super excited about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysay View Post
Working on finalizing my costumer thanks to Longhorns2 who will be Drizella. Here is my anastasia costume....working on my gold glitter foam comb for the hat or visor. We will be in Corral C!

LOVE it! I'll be looking for y'all in C!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #2800
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

For those dealing with injuries, please follow whatever advice your doctors/PT's gave you. I am NOT a doctor, but I say rest up before the race. I had Plantars Faciitis 2 years ago and that was such a disapointment, but I did finish the race, I just took it slow and enjoyed the scenery! Lots of people will be walking, so don't feel bad, just be courteous.

You look way too cute to be Cinderella's evil stepsister, though!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #2801
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Quote:

So cute!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #2802
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Ok, so this isn't race-related but I just have to say this trip CANNOT COME FAST ENOUGH. I took my car in the other day to check on the AC since it's been acting up...yes, it's warm enough here in February to actaully need it...so annoying! Well, I find out that yes, there is a problem and we all know AC work is stupid expensive...but apparently I'm also starting to have a problem with the power steering pump. jeeze louise...my car's not that old! And on top of all that, I start to see a pattern in thinking "oh, that juice I just took from the fridge doesn't seem very cold..." and then yesterday notice some things in the freezer not quite as frozen as they should be...like almost totally thawed. unbelievable...everything's breaking at once!!! I need to be somewhere that I can forget I even have a fridge or car...calgon take me away!!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #2803
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Ok, so this isn't race-related but I just have to say this trip CANNOT COME FAST ENOUGH. I took my car in the other day to check on the AC since it's been acting up...yes, it's warm enough here in February to actaully need it...so annoying! Well, I find out that yes, there is a problem and we all know AC work is stupid expensive...but apparently I'm also starting to have a problem with the power steering pump. jeeze louise...my car's not that old! And on top of all that, I start to see a pattern in thinking "oh, that juice I just took from the fridge doesn't seem very cold..." and then yesterday notice some things in the freezer not quite as frozen as they should be...like almost totally thawed. unbelievable...everything's breaking at once!!! I need to be somewhere that I can forget I even have a fridge or car...calgon take me away!!!!
Ouch. hope you can work all the out before WDW, so you can enjoy your trip and not have to think about coming home to that.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #2804
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I too noticed my 7 yr old Escalade is having a little transmission issue...NO I told it...your new replacement is coming till next year...you MUST last till then !

On a different note...DH flies for Southwest and offered a couple of pieces of advice on flying during these germ filled weeks.

1. Wet ones makes great towelettes to wipe down your arm rest, seat back in front of you etc. your plane is serviced in the morning and then goes all day. Passengers have been known to leave everything from diapers to dirty Kleenex in the seat pocket in front of you so wipe, wipe, wipe. These wipes also go through TSA very easily !
2. The bathroom on the airplane ....avoid if possible...again, serviced in the morning and not until the end of the day. For some reason passengers in the morning like to take a book or paper in there and...sit for awhile if you know what I mean !
3. Before you leave your house check the status of your flight. The later in the day the more chance your flight could be late etc. All it takes is one hiccup in the morning and the domino effect happens.

So happy DH got a vacation week for PHM so I don't have to worry about him getting stuck out in bad weather...it has happened before !
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #2805
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey
Ok, so this isn't race-related but I just have to say this trip CANNOT COME FAST ENOUGH.

I need to be somewhere that I can forget I even have a fridge or car...calgon take me away!!!!
I'm with you. We've had a hard few days here too. My dear 8 year old dachshund died suddenly in an accident Saturday. It's hard to explain how much space a 10# dog takes up in your life. I'm hoping a little Disney pixie dust will help ease the pain.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: