Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #2731
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
YAAAAY!

Thanks! The only thing I'm bummed about is that I can only get to the chiro office twice this week and unfortunately only once (wednesday) the week of the race. Hoping it will get me through. I had a lightbulb (DUH!) moment this weekend too. Woke up stupid-early sunday morning and just couldn't get back to sleep so we watched a movie on the ipad in bed that I only had a few days left on the rental for...and laying there for 2 hours awake it occurred to me...my pillow leaves alot to be desired. I couldn't get in a good spot with it and my back was aching because of it. So, bought a new one yesterday and holy moly what a difference this morning. I don't know why this hadn't dawned on me sooner.
Just something else for you to try....when you are sleeping on your back, sleep with a pillow under your knees. It helps with elevation and will put less stress on your lower back. I usually use a "flat" pillow and just that couple of inches really made a difference for me. Hope you continue to feel better.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #2732
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerRen View Post
I'm not an expert and this is my first half, but I have read that you should really only run 3-4 times a week for recovery/less risk of injury. That being said, this is what I plan on doing:

Tuesday/Thursday: 4 miles each
Saturday: 5 miles

Tuesday/Thursday: 4 miles each again
Friday/Saturday: Walking around Downtown Disney and MK/Concentrating on drinking lots of water/powerade

Sunday: PHM!

On the Monday/Wednesday/Friday off days, I plan to really focus on stretching/foam rolling as well as glute/abs strengthening since these muscles are a big part of running. Also maybe go for a 1-2 mile walk if I can.

I hope this helps you
I like your plan... and it does help me to see what your plan is! thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle View Post
Personally, I would ditch the 1 milers and add them to my other runs. (Unless you're doing them as some sort of cross training.) I also plan on doing one more longish run next weekend. Not sure how far because I want to do it outside and that means waiting to see what the weather brings.

It sounds like you've got decent mileage overall and that's what counts. Don't stress about the taper. A few more miles the week before the race is not going to make or break you.
Thanks! I went out and did do the "1 mile" that of course ended up being closer to 2... and I pushed too hard. So those one milers probably should be thrown out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandcycle View Post
Somewhere around 60%, 33% volume would be fine. The key is to not do something silly like shovel snow for all your neighbors because you feel like Wonder Woman after all the rest. People get injured in ridiculous ways during taper.

People tend to get sick during taper too. You may want to take something like Airborne and probiotics to keep the immune system strong.
Luckily, no snow here... but it was unexpectedly cold this morning. Thanks for the advice. I really need it since I still consider myself a new runner.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #2733
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
Just finished my last long run before the race! 11 miles on the treadmill (we got almost 3 feet of snow Saturday). It's taper time!

Feeling prepared as long as treadmill running translates OK to on the ground. I added a long hill (1 mile at 3.5 incline) at mile 9 hoping to simulate the 10 mile overpass/cloverleaf. Does anyone know how long and steep that hill is? And/or any ideas about how treadmill inclines translate to actual hills?
There are three hills after 10 mi. the clover leaf at about 10.05 and other climbs at 10.6 ish and 11.7 ish. The ramp is at about 6%. I wouldn't do physical prep this late in the game unless hills or hill simulation has been part of your training. It takes two weeks to show any improvements from training.

I would mentally prepare. Try to think about taking the edge off a bit in mile 9-10 and then think about gliding through the hills. I am likely to walk some of the first hill and power through the last two. As PrincessV said, the drainage tilt/camber is pretty rough on the ramp.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #2734
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD

Just something else for you to try....when you are sleeping on your back, sleep with a pillow under your knees. It helps with elevation and will put less stress on your lower back. I usually use a "flat" pillow and just that couple of inches really made a difference for me. Hope you continue to feel better.
Thanks

Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #2735
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Since everyone is talking taper I have a question. I usually run 3. 30 min runs each week and alternate between 1 longer run of either 5 or 10 miles. Two days a week I workout elliptical at the gym for an hour. My plan for the next week is 2 30 runs one 5 miler this week and my regular gym workouts (1 hour each). Next week. One gym workout (1 hour ) and 2. 30 min runs. Sound ok. I'm definitely a newbie. Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #2736
TXAng
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
~The biggest highlight? I really, truly feel READY for this thing now.
Sounds like an awesome run! You are SO ready.

Joan - Love the photos!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #2737
Starseeker1221
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone!

I am really late to the game in introducing myself, but I have been reading through this thread for weeks and I am so thankful for all of the tips and advice that you've all been posting! I can't believe its less than two weeks until the race!!!

I'm hoping all of you more experienced runners can offer some input, as I've hit a bit of a road block with my training and I'm honestly not sure what to do over the next two weeks. I injured my foot back in October during a 10k, and it took about 6 weeks to recover and get back on track, but I was able to get back to my training and had made it to 10 miles as my farthest distance two weeks ago... and then last week during a really bad run, I managed to somehow re-injure my foot and have spent the last week resting it and icing it in order to get it back to normal.

As of today, it feels pretty good, and I *think* I could go out and do some running on it again, but with less than 2 weeks until the race I'm not sure if that's a good idea?

I'm okay with the 10 miles being my longest run, and I really don't want to push myself with another long run and get injured.... but do I risk putting in some short runs over the next two weeks to keep up with my training??... or do I keep resting it and hope that what I've done up until this point plus my usual cross training regimen over the next two weeks will be enough??

Thanks!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #2738
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starseeker1221 View Post
Hi everyone!

I am really late to the game in introducing myself, but I have been reading through this thread for weeks and I am so thankful for all of the tips and advice that you've all been posting! I can't believe its less than two weeks until the race!!!

I'm hoping all of you more experienced runners can offer some input, as I've hit a bit of a road block with my training and I'm honestly not sure what to do over the next two weeks. I injured my foot back in October during a 10k, and it took about 6 weeks to recover and get back on track, but I was able to get back to my training and had made it to 10 miles as my farthest distance two weeks ago... and then last week during a really bad run, I managed to somehow re-injure my foot and have spent the last week resting it and icing it in order to get it back to normal.

As of today, it feels pretty good, and I *think* I could go out and do some running on it again, but with less than 2 weeks until the race I'm not sure if that's a good idea?

I'm okay with the 10 miles being my longest run, and I really don't want to push myself with another long run and get injured.... but do I risk putting in some short runs over the next two weeks to keep up with my training??... or do I keep resting it and hope that what I've done up until this point plus my usual cross training regimen over the next two weeks will be enough??

Thanks!!!
The 10 is GOOD! I think I'd keep some sort of cross training going if you can for endurance. Elliptical, biking, something that you can get the cardio in to keep that going, but nothing that would re-injure the foot. I'd baby it. But I'm not an expert! Good luck!!!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #2739
TXAng
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starseeker1221 View Post
Hi everyone!

Thanks!!!
Rest it up! I wouldn't risk re-injury at this point.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #2740
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Oh Princesses - I'm nearly bubbling over with elation this week!

Got my final long training run in on Saturday... 12.09 miles... 12.09 PAIN-FREE miles!!! No ITBS knee pain. No shin pain. No glute pain. Okay, my feet felt a little beat-up that last mile, but nothing terrible. It was such an astoundingly good run, I very nearly wept with joy at the end. Instead, I sat on a bench (I ran in and around my favorite nature preserve) and just absorbed the moment.

Highlights:
~Went back to my Brooks Pure Flows for the first 11 miles and they were perfect. I felt so good, I tested my new Altra Torins for the last mile... they're pretty good, too! But I'm sticking with the Brooks for the race; nothing new on race day.

~Weather was ideal: high-50s to start, moving into low-60s by the end. Sunny. Warm enough to sweat; dry enough for the sweat to evaporate and cool. I was perfectly comfortable in compression tights and a short-sleeve tech tee.

~Race rehearsal: I tested all I could... found that putting my iPhone in my iFitness belt works better for getting it in and out for pics and putting my chews in my phone armband makes them easy to access. Stopped for pretend pics, water bottle refills, to watch an osprey nesting, to gawk at the most enormous hawk I've ever seen, at a couple stop signs, to tie a shoe, use a restroom and change shoes at my car. Still wound up with negative splits!

~Pacing strategy: I went for safety - alternated 1/4 mile walks with 1/4 mile run/walk intervals for the first half, then went to alternating 1/4 mile walks with 1/2 mile run/walk intervals. Walked much of 5-6, pretending I was at MK. Hit my usual wall between 4-6 and nailed my usual energetic groove between 7-9. Kept waiting for it to fall off and feel exhaustion hit... it never did. Not an iota of ITB tightening. I definitely could have walked less and I plan to in the race.

~The biggest highlight? I really, truly feel READY for this thing now.

Your post made my day! Your preparation for this race seems to have been full of more than your share of injuries so this last run to readiness is that much sweeter - go you!!!

And congratulations on your corral C placement - you've got this!

And congratulations, princes and princesses, on all of your hard work - the pay off will be coming in less than 2 weeks.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #2741
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Yeah !!!
I'm trying to figure out how "attach" mine to my visor.
What kind of style is it? Is it a comb one that wraps around the side of the head or is it just a comb one that sticks in the front of the hair? You could maybe try rubber bands or crazy glue if it wraps around. I don't know I was trying to be innovative, haha!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #2742
Lawyer Mommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
THANK YOU!!! No email despite whitelisting the from address. This worked. Nothing special there but I don't feel so left out now!
I echo the THANK YOU!!! I've gotten none of the emails, and I was feeling left out about the iGift bag too. Your link worked, and at least I got to see what I was missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
Princess Joan, I LOVE the pictures!! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
Just finished my last long run before the race! 11 miles on the treadmill (we got almost 3 feet of snow Saturday). It's taper time!

Feeling prepared as long as treadmill running translates OK to on the ground. I added a long hill (1 mile at 3.5 incline) at mile 9 hoping to simulate the 10 mile overpass/cloverleaf. Does anyone know how long and steep that hill is? And/or any ideas about how treadmill inclines translate to actual hills?
Holy Cow! 11 miles on a treadmill! You're a hero. Treadmill is so much tougher in my opinion because it's so boring.

I went on my last long run yesterday. 10 miles!! It was tough conditions -- a really cold, hard wind was blowing. But I managed to get through it. My per mile time was the worst it's been in training but it got skewed by a totally weird event.

I was running with my friend who is my team partner for the race, and at about mile 8 we were going by a construction site and smelled gas. We stopped and wondered what to do. Ultimately, we decided that we'd rather call 911 and be wrong than do nothing and have something go horribly wrong like an explosion. So we called 911 and had to talk to the operator for several minutes. After the call we continued running. About 1/2 mile later, my friend's cell phone rings. It's the 911 operator, who asks whether we can go back to the site because the firemen don't smell the gas and want to know exactly where we were when we smelled it. So we turn around and start running back. We only ran for a few minutes when her phone rang again. It was the 911 operator again saying that we didn't have to go back anymore. The firemen found a break in a gas line. The operator thanked us for calling.

But with all the running back and forth, phone calls, time spent thinking about what to do, where was the smell coming from, etc. our time was bad. We decided not to sweat it. So not only did we get in our 10 but we were good citizens!

I can't believe it's so close! I'm really excited.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #2743
tink2007
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
Since everyone is talking taper I have a question. I usually run 3. 30 min runs each week and alternate between 1 longer run of either 5 or 10 miles. Two days a week I workout elliptical at the gym for an hour. My plan for the next week is 2 30 runs one 5 miler this week and my regular gym workouts (1 hour each). Next week. One gym workout (1 hour ) and 2. 30 min runs. Sound ok. I'm definitely a newbie. Thanks

I'm almost doing the same routine over the next few days. I did 13.5 last Saturday and felt great. So I guess I'm as ready as I'm going to be. I've done the PHM the past 3 years and this is the first time I really feel like I'm ready.
I'm really going to try and not stress about my time and focus on having a good time.
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2010 - All Star Movies
2011 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2012 - All Star Sports
2013 - Coronado Springs Resort
2013 - Marriott's Harbour Lake
2013 - All Star Sports
2013 - Disney Cruise - Dream
2014 - Disney All Star Music
2014 - Fort Wilderness