Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #2716
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV
Oh Princesses - I'm nearly bubbling over with elation this week!

Got my final long training run in on Saturday... 12.09 miles... 12.09 PAIN-FREE miles!!! No ITBS knee pain. No shin pain. No glute pain. Okay, my feet felt a little beat-up that last mile, but nothing terrible. It was such an astoundingly good run, I very nearly wept with joy at the end. Instead, I sat on a bench (I ran in and around my favorite nature preserve) and just absorbed the moment.

Highlights:
~Went back to my Brooks Pure Flows for the first 11 miles and they were perfect. I felt so good, I tested my new Altra Torins for the last mile... they're pretty good, too! But I'm sticking with the Brooks for the race; nothing new on race day.

~Weather was ideal: high-50s to start, moving into low-60s by the end. Sunny. Warm enough to sweat; dry enough for the sweat to evaporate and cool. I was perfectly comfortable in compression tights and a short-sleeve tech tee.

~Race rehearsal: I tested all I could... found that putting my iPhone in my iFitness belt works better for getting it in and out for pics and putting my chews in my phone armband makes them easy to access. Stopped for pretend pics, water bottle refills, to watch an osprey nesting, to gawk at the most enormous hawk I've ever seen, at a couple stop signs, to tie a shoe, use a restroom and change shoes at my car. Still wound up with negative splits!

~Pacing strategy: I went for safety - alternated 1/4 mile walks with 1/4 mile run/walk intervals for the first half, then went to alternating 1/4 mile walks with 1/2 mile run/walk intervals. Walked much of 5-6, pretending I was at MK. Hit my usual wall between 4-6 and nailed my usual energetic groove between 7-9. Kept waiting for it to fall off and feel exhaustion hit... it never did. Not an iota of ITB tightening. I definitely could have walked less and I plan to in the race.

~The biggest highlight? I really, truly feel READY for this thing now.
Sounds lie an amazing run! You are ready!!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #2717
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

So happy that so many of you had great final long runs this weekend!! Happy Taper!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #2718
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post

Got my final long training run in on Saturday... 12.09 miles... 12.09 PAIN-FREE miles!!! No ITBS knee pain. No shin pain. No glute pain. Okay, my feet felt a little beat-up that last mile, but nothing terrible. It was such an astoundingly good run, I very nearly wept with joy at the end. Instead, I sat on a bench (I ran in and around my favorite nature preserve) and just absorbed the moment.

Highlights:
~Went back to my Brooks Pure Flows for the first 11 miles and they were perfect. I felt so good, I tested my new Altra Torins for the last mile... they're pretty good, too! But I'm sticking with the Brooks for the race; nothing new on race day.

~Weather was ideal: high-50s to start, moving into low-60s by the end. Sunny. Warm enough to sweat; dry enough for the sweat to evaporate and cool. I was perfectly comfortable in compression tights and a short-sleeve tech tee.

~Race rehearsal: I tested all I could... found that putting my iPhone in my iFitness belt works better for getting it in and out for pics and putting my chews in my phone armband makes them easy to access. Stopped for pretend pics, water bottle refills, to watch an osprey nesting, to gawk at the most enormous hawk I've ever seen, at a couple stop signs, to tie a shoe, use a restroom and change shoes at my car. Still wound up with negative splits!

~Pacing strategy: I went for safety - alternated 1/4 mile walks with 1/4 mile run/walk intervals for the first half, then went to alternating 1/4 mile walks with 1/2 mile run/walk intervals. Walked much of 5-6, pretending I was at MK. Hit my usual wall between 4-6 and nailed my usual energetic groove between 7-9. Kept waiting for it to fall off and feel exhaustion hit... it never did. Not an iota of ITB tightening. I definitely could have walked less and I plan to in the race.

~The biggest highlight? I really, truly feel READY for this thing now.
Rock on, sister!! Way to go. It's 79 here in Port St. Lucie!!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #2719
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Lol Cindy! I'll be there! I wish I could take full advantage of free sangria every night but in reality it will only be Monday night for me. I don't think drinking fri or sat would be too helpful for my race. and Sunday my ADR is at 5- right when the Lounge opens! Boo!
Oh, boo is right! I thinking I be drinking on Fri nite, not Sat, of course. I leave on Mon.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #2720
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
I do think this is part of my problem. I'm bad about watching my regular nutrition.

Yup, I've been drinking Gatorade before and during.

Anyone else use gummy bears?
Thanks for the help, ladies!
I think you have too much carbohydrate in your gut in relation to water. The following are two good articles on hydration.
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/mara...bohydrates-522
http://aimsworldrunning.org/guidelin...eplacement.htm

You may be actually dehydrating your blood. If you have too much salt, water will move to your gut/GI tract in an attempt to dilute high salt concentration. The proper concentration in your stomach is 6-8% carb & water. Do you have sloshy stomach? This indicates too much sugar to water.

There have been studies showing that swishing a sugary substance in your mouth and spitting it out tricks the brain into a better performance.

What will fuel us is what we eat 48, 24, 12 hrs. before the race starts. The only thing that race "fueling" does is stave off the use of glycogen reserves built up hours, days, before the race starts.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #2721
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

Just finished my last long run before the race! 11 miles on the treadmill (we got almost 3 feet of snow Saturday). It's taper time!

Feeling prepared as long as treadmill running translates OK to on the ground. I added a long hill (1 mile at 3.5 incline) at mile 9 hoping to simulate the 10 mile overpass/cloverleaf. Does anyone know how long and steep that hill is? And/or any ideas about how treadmill inclines translate to actual hills?
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #2722
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Thanks all - I was so excited to share my good news here... it's been too many months of "bad run" reports from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
Does anyone know how long and steep that hill is? And/or any ideas about how treadmill inclines translate to actual hills?
I live and train in flat Florida, so I hit a local bridge a few times for "hill" training and do some "hill" work on my treadmill... I didn't find the steepness of the cloverleaf in the TOT 10-Miler to be bad at all. (The pitched angle for water runoff is something else entirely...)

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #2723
jenny08
Mouseketeer

SO excited for princess!!

I know this was talked about but i cant find the answer...

Do they let any spectators into the Magic Kingdom to view the runners or do you have to be in the chear squad?

Thanks in advance and good luck all!!

Married at the Wedding Pavilion ~ 2/28/08
Honeymoon on the DCL ~ 3/2/2008
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #2724
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny08 View Post
SO excited for princess!!

I know this was talked about but i cant find the answer...

Do they let any spectators into the Magic Kingdom to view the runners or do you have to be in the chear squad?

Thanks in advance and good luck all!!
Any spectator can enter MK to watch the runners. I think there is a special section for the 'cheer squad'.

Me DH DS(16) DS(14) DS(11) DS(10) DD(9) DD(7)
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon), OCT 13 CSR (Grand Gathering)
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #2725
RunnerRen
~Ren~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Welcome from a San Antonio princess ! There will be quite a few of us representing the Lone Star state...maybe the Governor will give us a "princess " day when we all return home. . DH & I will be in corral E so cheer us on from the finish line!
Haha that would be so awesome! They should make an official holiday based on our princess run!! I will most def be cheering for you and your DH!! Is this your first half?? It is my first half and I must say the nerves are starting to kick in (but SO SO excited)! My DH will be waiting at the finish line for me to most likely console my emotions LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Mommy View Post
Welcome Ren! Not only do you love running ... but you're obviously very good at it!!! Congrats on Corral A!
Thank you so much that's so nice of you to say!!!

I can't quite reference everyone but just want to say congrats to all the princesses who have been posting about their awesome long runs this weekend! TAPER TIME!!!

Also, random question.... at the start of the race when it is still dark do you think it'd be worth stopping for pics until the sun comes up? I'm afraid I am going to miss out on great picture opportunities but I'm afraid to wait in long lines and end up with a bad pic you can barely see!

Thanks!

~All Our Dreams Can Come True, if We Have the Courage to Pursue Them~
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #2726
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Hate to be a pain and ask another tapering question...

but how does this look for the next two weeks...

Today 1 mile
Tuesday 8 miles
Thursday 5 miles
Friday 1 mile
Saturday 4 miles
Sunday 4 miles
Monday 1 mile
Tuesday 3 miles
Friday 2 miles
Sunday PHM!

That makes this week about 68 % and next about 36% of last week (I just decided to look at my last week instead of averaging over the last month)

Should I could down the number of activities? Increase some of the miles?

TIA
Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #2727
RunnerRen
~Ren~

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post

Today 1 mile
Tuesday 8 miles
Thursday 5 miles
Friday 1 mile
Saturday 4 miles
Sunday 4 miles
Monday 1 mile
Tuesday 3 miles
Friday 2 miles
Sunday PHM!

That makes this week about 68 % and next about 36% of last week (I just decided to look at my last week instead of averaging over the last month)

TIA

I'm not an expert and this is my first half, but I have read that you should really only run 3-4 times a week for recovery/less risk of injury. That being said, this is what I plan on doing:

Tuesday/Thursday: 4 miles each
Saturday: 5 miles

Tuesday/Thursday: 4 miles each again
Friday/Saturday: Walking around Downtown Disney and MK/Concentrating on drinking lots of water/powerade

Sunday: PHM!

On the Monday/Wednesday/Friday off days, I plan to really focus on stretching/foam rolling as well as glute/abs strengthening since these muscles are a big part of running. Also maybe go for a 1-2 mile walk if I can.

I hope this helps you

~All Our Dreams Can Come True, if We Have the Courage to Pursue Them~
Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #2728
icicle
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Today 1 mile
Tuesday 8 miles
Thursday 5 miles
Friday 1 mile
Saturday 4 miles
Sunday 4 miles
Monday 1 mile
Tuesday 3 miles
Friday 2 miles
Sunday PHM!

TIA
Personally, I would ditch the 1 milers and add them to my other runs. (Unless you're doing them as some sort of cross training.) I also plan on doing one more longish run next weekend. Not sure how far because I want to do it outside and that means waiting to see what the weather brings.

It sounds like you've got decent mileage overall and that's what counts. Don't stress about the taper. A few more miles the week before the race is not going to make or break you.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #2729
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:

YAAAAY!

Quote:
I'm so glad - I've been thinking of you and hoping for improvement!
Thanks! The only thing I'm bummed about is that I can only get to the chiro office twice this week and unfortunately only once (wednesday) the week of the race. Hoping it will get me through. I had a lightbulb (DUH!) moment this weekend too. Woke up stupid-early sunday morning and just couldn't get back to sleep so we watched a movie on the ipad in bed that I only had a few days left on the rental for...and laying there for 2 hours awake it occurred to me...my pillow leaves alot to be desired. I couldn't get in a good spot with it and my back was aching because of it. So, bought a new one yesterday and holy moly what a difference this morning. I don't know why this hadn't dawned on me sooner.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #2730
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer

Quote:

TIA
Somewhere around 60%, 33% volume would be fine. The key is to not do something silly like shovel snow for all your neighbors because you feel like Wonder Woman after all the rest. People get injured in ridiculous ways during taper.

People tend to get sick during taper too. You may want to take something like Airborne and probiotics to keep the immune system strong.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: