Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #2206
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Yes, Disney will put out a run tracking option, but the tracking is only in 5K splits- not by miles. So you would get 5K, 10K and 15K splits- but not notification that he was at mile 12 or 13 so you can get to finish to see him.

I think there is an iphone or possibly runtracker or some app you can use to track someone. I have NO idea the name but maybe google and see what you can find. Pretty sure I remember someone in past years talking about setting their husbands phone up at home to track her as she ran- and it wasn't through the Disney provided runtracker.

Maybe it was "find my phone" even? Not sure if it was something that basic or not!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #2207
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
Next Question: Runner Tracking

I anticipate that I will finish before hubby. We have the Race Retreat, so I was planning to go there for a bit, but want to make sure I'm at the finish line to see hubby cross.

Is there a way to get real time runner updates on my phone so I know when he's hits certain mile markers?
Believe I read at rundisney under race retreat that they would have a live feed of the finish line and thought I had also read somewhere about being able to track your runner. My friends are interested in that so does anybody know ?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #2208
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
Next Question: Runner Tracking

I anticipate that I will finish before hubby. We have the Race Retreat, so I was planning to go there for a bit, but want to make sure I'm at the finish line to see hubby cross.

Is there a way to get real time runner updates on my phone so I know when he's hits certain mile markers?

They normally do have a link to sign up for runner tracking...you should be able to get a text or email or facebook post of the runner you choose at the 5k, 10k, 15k and finish (I think those are right?) I don't believe there is any sort of real time tracking to pinpoint their exact location on the course at any given time though. The link to runner tracking is usually one of the last things to go up on the website very close to race day...now that I've said that, maybe they will post it today If you miss it, there's always a station at the expo/packet pick up with computers for you to sign up there. I've had hit or miss experience with it...one year I seemed to get them right on time, another year they ALL started coming through while we were on the elevator back at our hotel....long after the race.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #2209
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post
They did this for ME!! I was due into Orland at 9AM that day, My Team knew I really really really wanted the Dooney. But I got stuck in Chicago, so they all went to the expo to get me the bag.
I am so gratefull!! I did not get in until 6PM that night and they had not only my Disney PHM Dooney, but a beer and a shot waiting for me.
How do I get on this team?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #2210
uccats97
Mouseketeer

Excited for my first 1/2!!!

Me DH DS(18) DD(11) DD(9) DD(6)
1979-2000 Too many WDW day trips to count!
2001 DL/CA offsite, 2002 WDW offsite, 2003 WDW offsite, 2005 WDW offsite, 2007 WDW offsite, 2009 WDW offsite (Spring), 2009 WDW SSR (July), 2010 WDW ASMovies, 2011 WDW offsite (June), 2011 WDW, MVMCP Doubletree DTD (December), 2012 WDW offsite (June), 2012 DL/CA, minus the kids, offsite (December), 2013 WDW Princess Half Marathon weekend ASMusic (Feb), 2013 WDW AoA Cars Suite (June), 2014 WDW Pop Century Mother/Daughter trip (March/April), 2014 WDW POR Tower of Terror 10 Miler (October)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #2211
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

I will be running solo. Besides the official photographers will there be anyone I can get to take my picture with characters along the way?

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #2212
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Yes, Disney will put out a run tracking option, but the tracking is only in 5K splits- not by miles. So you would get 5K, 10K and 15K splits- but not notification that he was at mile 12 or 13 so you can get to finish to see him.

I think there is an iphone or possibly runtracker or some app you can use to track someone. I have NO idea the name but maybe google and see what you can find. Pretty sure I remember someone in past years talking about setting their husbands phone up at home to track her as she ran- and it wasn't through the Disney provided runtracker.

Maybe it was "find my phone" even? Not sure if it was something that basic or not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
They normally do have a link to sign up for runner tracking...you should be able to get a text or email or facebook post of the runner you choose at the 5k, 10k, 15k and finish (I think those are right?) I don't believe there is any sort of real time tracking to pinpoint their exact location on the course at any given time though. The link to runner tracking is usually one of the last things to go up on the website very close to race day...now that I've said that, maybe they will post it today If you miss it, there's always a station at the expo/packet pick up with computers for you to sign up there. I've had hit or miss experience with it...one year I seemed to get them right on time, another year they ALL started coming through while we were on the elevator back at our hotel....long after the race.
Thanks, ladies! Even just having 5K splits will be helpful. Just need to know how long I have to drink my mimosa.

I've had random luck with runner tracking at other races, too. Hubby tried it for my last race, and didn't get any updates until we got home. By then, he had figured out that I had finished.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #2213
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
I will be running solo. Besides the official photographers will there be anyone I can get to take my picture with characters along the way?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard there are CMs there with the characters that are more than happy to take pictures for you.
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon Jan 2014 Paradise Pier DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Feb 2014 Contemporary Glass Slipper Challenge
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #2214
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMoos View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard there are CMs there with the characters that are more than happy to take pictures for you.
You are correct. CM are more than happy to help with photos.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #2215
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMoos View Post
This was the case at the 2011 Wine & Dine...we had a CM take a pic for us with our camera at each place we stopped. However, if you should get to one that does not have a CM there for some reason, and there's a line of other runners wanting to take pics too, they will probably do a "pass the camera back" thing...one person poses while the next in line snaps the pic, and so on.

and since we're on the subject, let's all try to remember it isn't a fashion shoot...pose and go, the clock's tickin' for us all!!! I haven't personally had trouble with that, but I've read stories of people in line and a group goes up and wants like 3 or 4 pics taken, different poses, hasn't turned on the camera before they hand it off, etc.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #2216
Kimmie D
Disney veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_princess View Post
Getting in to the elite depends on the rules for being elite. Here in DK the elites are based on their time, which mean everyone can get there if they are fast enough. You don't have to be sponsored, pro or anything like that. But it might be different in the US.
You seem surprised about your number so is that because you didn't know that your time would put you in front? Then you should try and hand in the faster time and see where that puts you. If it's because you think RD made a mistake and your time isn't that fast, then I wouldn't do anything and just stay with that.
But as I said, if you just didn't know that your "slower" time would put you in front, call and ask what it takes to get into the elite... That would be so cool!
I agree that the rules are that way, it is the same here in Canada. Elite is based on a race qualifying time, and most races have different race qualifying times for elite.

I was never surprised with my number or anything, I knew my time would place me very high and RD didn't screw up, however, all I wanted to know is if anyone knew anything about elites...but instead, you know lol

I am gunna call and ask later today what will put me there.

Thanks for the friendly response

Dad (58) , Mom (57) , Brother 1 (31) , Brother 2 (29) , Brother 3 (26) , Sister (29) , me (23)

2005 off site; 2006 off site; 2010 Poly; 2013 wilderness; 2013 offsite
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #2217
JoyaDelMar
Mouseketeer

Whoa... So if these are the breakdowns for the Disney Races, why is the Princess SO much larger? I'm going off the reported 26,000 bib numbers (or even just the reported 101-20,000+ here).

Now I'm getting worried about being trampled! Any veteran that can speak to this?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Upcoming in 2013: 5th Anniversary Princess Half Marathon // 2012: WDW Trip - First Time on the Dining Plan, DCL Dream 3-Night Bahamas February 9, TLCC Post-Conference Trip to Disneyland, DCL Fantasy 7-Night Eastern Caribbean September 8 // 2011: TLCC Conference @ Bonnet Creek, DCL Magic 7-Night Western Caribbean October 1 (Anniversary Trip!) // 2010: Birthday Trip to MK and HS // 2009: DCL Wonder 3-Night February 12, Christmas Eve in Hollywood // 2008: Spring Break 08 - Pirate and Princess Party // 2007: Scurvy in the New Year, CM Surprise, Best Friend Park Hopping, Holidays Around The World // 2006: BF's Pop Century, Spring Break 06 - Mead Summer Sizzler, Family Xmas @ DD // 2005: BF's August Album // 2000 - 2004: Park Hopping with Sophie (x10), Weekends with the Family (x4) // 1997 - 2000: Youth Group Retreat @ WDW, Night of Joy 1999, FW Camping with Friends // 1992 - 1997: Weekends with the Family (x6), Dad's Kingdom '96, // 1992: 1st Trip to WDW! // 1989: 1st Trip to Disneyland!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #2218
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
How do I get on this team?
They are pretty awesome.
The night before my Friday flight last year SW canceled my flight.
There were no other flights to be had out of Chicago. I was a wreck.
Team Goddess without hesitation told me not to worry they would get my bag, just find a way to Florida. I had to fly from Chicago to TN to Orlando.
It was an ugly mess. I was so glad to see them and the booze when I get off the bus!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #2219
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

Bib #17574 here! Hello to my back of the packers!!!

Question for you PHM veterans - Where are good spots for your family to see you and how do you get from place to place? I need to give DH specific instructions or he will get frustrated. Hoping they can see me in MK and then again at the end/finish line. Anything that gives him step by step instructions would be helpful. He will have our 6 year old (and my mom). Of course, our DD will want to know why she can't ride any rides (or maybe they can?).

Thanks!!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #2220
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227

Thanks, ladies! Even just having 5K splits will be helpful. Just need to know how long I have to drink my mimosa.

I've had random luck with runner tracking at other races, too. Hubby tried it for my last race, and didn't get any updates until we got home. By then, he had figured out that I had finished.
We too had a mixed experience with the runner tracking at the '12 Princess. We signed dh up for text alerts and email alerts I believe at the expo. The splits he got were totally off. I called him a couple of times actually, once approaching the MK and once at around mile 10 when I knew I would be finishing way slower because I was hurt.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: