Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #2011
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer
 
Mamasmurf227's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Mommy View Post
Ran my 9 miles yesterday at a 13:05 pace. It was COLD out but I got it done! Started lightly snowing/flurrying during the run but I kept on going. I'm starting to get really, really excited. I've never done anything like this, and today when I ran the 9 miles, I was convinced that I can do this and finish it. It was a great feeling.
Congrats on the 9! I had the same feeling when I hit 9 for the first time before my half in the fall. There was something magical about 9 miles that made it real.
__________________
Kim 1/00 ~ASM, 2/06 ~POP, 2/12 ~POP, 2/13 ~POP for PHM

Mamasmurf227 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #2012
Maddies Mama
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 306

Wow! Been a long time since I last checked in here. I forgot about this thread, oops lol! Thanks for all of the great information, I've been reading pages and pages all last night and this morning. I can't believe this is almost upon us. I can't believe I can, as of today, run 12 miles without stopping. I can't believe I'm going to run 13.1 miles at Disney World of all places. I am so excited! The only thing I don't have is an outfit other than basic running attire. I really need to get on that so I can get a practice run in with it, running around my neighborhood looking crazy all dressed up
__________________
Disney World trips: 12/06, 01/09, 03/10, 02/11, 12/11, 02/13, 10/13, 01/14, 04/14, 5/14

Disney Cruises: Dream 12/11

Run Disney: 12/11 Castaway Cay 5k, 02/13 Princess 1/2 Marathon

Coming soon: Star Wars Rebel Challenge, Disneyland 01/15

Maddies Mama is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #2013
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer
 
DeerIsleDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Just wondering if any of you wonderful gals have some advice for me. Training has been going just fine.. and I have been increasing my distances. I run in a nike free. Yesterday and today after my runs (they were shorter runs) I notice that my knees are starting to ache a tad. I am not anywhere near being miserable. I wonder if I am just imagining it since when I bought the shoes, the sales gal told me that for a half marathon they would not have enough cushion for my joints. But I kinda wonder if maybe she is right? Maybe as I increase my distance the lack of cushion is hard on my joints?

So...

Should I just continue on in my current shoes?

Should I get new more cushioned shoes?

Should I get an insert for the shoes I am in?

I figure I am quickly running out of time in which I can make changes to what I run in.... if I haven't already.

I was in Nike Free's and got the same advice from Marathon Sports in Boston. (I was in the market for new shoes anyway, though.) I still wear the frees sometimes for shorter runs, but switched to Brooks Pure Flows for long runs and the 1/2. It was an easy switch because they have a low drop, like the Nike Free's, but more cushioning. Not an expert, but I would think you would not want to switch to a higher drop this stage in the game. I really like both the Pure Flows and the Nike Frees.
__________________
_______________________________
All Star Movies, OKW- April 2010
SSR, OKW, VWL -Jan 2011
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
DeerIsleDisney is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #2014
Bephus
DIS Veteran
 
Bephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Julington Creek, FL
Posts: 855

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda

I went through a ton of shoes before getting to the frees. I have ran successfully in them ever since. However, my distances have crept up... January total was 92.7 miles while December was 67.57. So maybe it is just that my body is starting to ache from the miles and not the shoes.

What you mention about using the frees for the shorter runs is exactly what the sales person suggested. (this was before I noticed any discomfort.)

I am probably just whining... getting nervous about the phm...and not wanting to find myself compromised in any way. (I am also fretting about getting ill)
I would say it is more due to ramp up in milage then. Try icing your knees after your runs and see if that helps with the discomfort. After a few more LRs you will get more used to it and won't be so sore. My knees only yell at me after 20+ now.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
~Beth
= Me, = DH, = DS7, = DD5

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #2015
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

We're staying off-site for the Princess and I'm now trying to figure out the logistics of getting to the Expo. Traveling with DH and 3 kids ages 9, 7, and 4. We're doing the 5k and then I'm doing the 1/2 so we have to go to the Expo on Friday.
Opinions: I'm thinking of getting an early morning breakfast ADR at a Resort for my family and then skipping breakfast to hop on a bus to the Expo. It seems that all the resorts are Host Resorts, right? Then maybe I can take the bus back and meet them at a theme park.
(Example: Park at TTC. Breakfast at Kona. Take bus from Poly to Expo. Meet family at MK. Or Go to Kouzzina. Me take bus from Boardwalk. Meet family at Epcot.)
I wish my DH could just drop me at the Expo and take the kids somewhere but apparently that's not permitted.
Any other ideas?

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #2016
Bephus
DIS Veteran
 
Bephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Julington Creek, FL
Posts: 855

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3
We're staying off-site for the Princess and I'm now trying to figure out the logistics of getting to the Expo. Traveling with DH and 3 kids ages 9, 7, and 4. We're doing the 5k and then I'm doing the 1/2 so we have to go to the Expo on Friday.
Opinions: I'm thinking of getting an early morning breakfast ADR at a Resort for my family and then skipping breakfast to hop on a bus to the Expo. It seems that all the resorts are Host Resorts, right? Then maybe I can take the bus back and meet them at a theme park.
(Example: Park at TTC. Breakfast at Kona. Take bus from Poly to Expo. Meet family at MK. Or Go to Kouzzina. Me take bus from Boardwalk. Meet family at Epcot.)
I wish my DH could just drop me at the Expo and take the kids somewhere but apparently that's not permitted.
Any other ideas?

Amanda
I think that the breakfast ADR idea is a great one. I also have a feeling they would let DH drop you off, but that would probably take you longer since many people will try to get to CSR and clog up the works. I would do the ADR route personally. Parking at TTC would give you the most options since you would be parked near the monorail and could meet them at either MK or Epcot afterwards and Kona has super yummy bkfst!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
~Beth
= Me, = DH, = DS7, = DD5

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #2017
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West on I-4, stop at the Gulf.
Posts: 8,761

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3 View Post
I don't remember if I read it here, about someone staying at Kidani and having to walk to Jambo House to take the shuttle...it says that there will be transportation from both Kidani and Jambo House for the weekend.
Awesome - I was wondering about this, as I did the hike to/from Jambo House for the EEC. Thanks so much for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
I still wear the frees sometimes for shorter runs, but switched to Brooks Pure Flows for long runs and the 1/2. It was an easy switch because they have a low drop, like the Nike Free's, but more cushioning. Not an expert, but I would think you would not want to switch to a higher drop this stage in the game. I really like both the Pure Flows and the Nike Frees.
Almost ditto here, except that I really don't run in my Frees at all anymore; I like them too much for walking and running errands and I won't use y designated running shoes for that. BTW, last year's Flows are marked WAY down through Brooks online - $59!

That said, even in my Flows, I get join pain in higher mileage. I've just accepted that it's the added distance and my advancing age... and it's a whole lot better than the gawdawful ITB pain I get in traditional shoes.


Long runs left to do: I put in 4.25 this past weekend, I've got 12ish this coming weekend, then 4ish, then Princess!

Also... I WANT MY WAIVER!!!!!!

That is all.
__________________
V's Fuzzy Running. Updated 8/11: Shoe Review Times TWO: Newton Running's Distance & Fate!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #2018
yulilin3
Disney Freak
 
yulilin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 20 minutes from Magic Kingdom
Posts: 4,445

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
We're staying off-site for the Princess and I'm now trying to figure out the logistics of getting to the Expo. Traveling with DH and 3 kids ages 9, 7, and 4. We're doing the 5k and then I'm doing the 1/2 so we have to go to the Expo on Friday.
Opinions: I'm thinking of getting an early morning breakfast ADR at a Resort for my family and then skipping breakfast to hop on a bus to the Expo. It seems that all the resorts are Host Resorts, right? Then maybe I can take the bus back and meet them at a theme park.
(Example: Park at TTC. Breakfast at Kona. Take bus from Poly to Expo. Meet family at MK. Or Go to Kouzzina. Me take bus from Boardwalk. Meet family at Epcot.)
I wish my DH could just drop me at the Expo and take the kids somewhere but apparently that's not permitted.
Any other ideas?

Amanda
Amanda; that's what I'm doing, parking at the TTC early, having breakfast at the Poly and taking the bus from there, then coming back to MK using the Coronado Springs bus for the Mickey Miles Podcast meet at noon on Friday.
__________________
Por favor manténgase alejados de las puertas
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post51232123 (link to SWW 2014 Roll call)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3183780 (link SWW tips and tricks 2014)
yulilin3 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #2019
niclodn
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 472

After 2 months of doing almost no running due to holidays, travel and illness, I finally got some mileage in last week! I did a 10K on saturday morning in the freezing cold (it was 24 degrees at the start!) and even though I came in 2nd to last, I ran a PR of 1:16:45! And I found out that the lady behind me is also running the Princess I felt pretty good although my lack of training was evident. I've been having some pain in the outside edge of the balls of my feet -- I'm hoping it is just due to the lack of running because I've never had foot issues before

I sure wish they'd post waivers already -- the anticipation is driving me bonkers!
niclodn is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #2020
princessmorgan
DIS Veteran
 
princessmorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Mommy View Post
Ran my 9 miles yesterday at a 13:05 pace. It was COLD out but I got it done! Started lightly snowing/flurrying during the run but I kept on going. I'm starting to get really, really excited. I've never done anything like this, and today when I ran the 9 miles, I was convinced that I can do this and finish it. It was a great feeling.
Great job! You are braver than me. I live in Sterling, and it was too cold for me. I only got in 4 miles on the treadmill. Do you ever run on the W&OD?
__________________
me, DH, DD(9), DD(6), DD(5), DD(3), and DD(1)

www.theadultsideofdisney.com

Aquí se puede encontrar mis blog posts acerca de Disney en español- www.theadultsideofdisney.com/en-espanol/
princessmorgan is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #2021
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran
 
Tracerr00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,400

So to make a long story short, I had a stress fracture in my tibia that I thought was shin splints (turns out I had that too). Went to the sports med doc, went to PT and it's doing well. My training has been going welll and I'm sore after long runs but not pain. But last night I did 12 miles and at mile 5 my ankle started to hurt. But I kept going because this was my last long run before I taper. The pain (not unbearable) lasted the whole remaining time and it's painful today. What would cause something this suddenly, something that I've never had before? My shoes (Brooks Pure Flow) are not ready to be replaced by any means but also not so new that I haven't run in them enough to know that they don't cause pain. I run on an indoor track every time and nothing has changed. I'm so frustrated! why would this just pop up?

This is going to sound weird but I think my feet are different. My right foot rubs against any arch (I'm in neutral shoes because stability cause all sorts of issues) but I think that the left foot might need more. Strange?
Tracerr00 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #2022
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half
 
Gryhndmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Mommy View Post
Ran my 9 miles yesterday at a 13:05 pace. It was COLD out but I got it done! Started lightly snowing/flurrying during the run but I kept on going. I'm starting to get really, really excited. I've never done anything like this, and today when I ran the 9 miles, I was convinced that I can do this and finish it. It was a great feeling
Way to go ! I'm trying to get motivated to go do my 6 mi...think I have hit the "just want to get this over " phase !

Quote:
Originally Posted by niclodn View Post
After 2 months of doing almost no running due to holidays, travel and illness, I finally got some mileage in last week! I did a 10K on saturday morning in the freezing cold (it was 24 degrees at the start!) and even though I came in 2nd to last, I ran a PR of 1:16:45! And I found out that the lady behind me is also running the Princess I felt pretty good although my lack of training was evident. I've been having some pain in the outside edge of the balls of my feet -- I'm hoping it is just due to the lack of running because I've never had foot issues before

I sure wish they'd post waivers already -- the anticipation is driving me bonkers!
If it was 24 in TX I would have slept in and missed the run ! I think your PR is fantastic....sounds like there were some pretty competitive runners if you were 2nd to last with that time! Just three more weeks ...yeah !
__________________
Me DH
my Greyhound kids
Cardinal NattyNovaJessica
Gryhndmom is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #2023
annmarieda
DIS Veteran
 
annmarieda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,411

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
How worn out are you last pair of shoes? Why not try them on your next run and see how you feel. Just a thought, I don't really know if it is just shoes or mileage.
My last shoes were also a pair of frees. While the upper is in excellent shape... the little black nubblies on the bottom are worn flat. So wearing them out on a run isn't ideal...at least I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle View Post
If you haven't had any other problems I would guess your sore knees are result of the mileage increase. What's your longest runin them so far? How did that go? I run in frees too. While they are marketed as minimal they still have a fair amount of cushioning.
My longest run was about 11 miles. The run went fine. I think you are probably right..it is probably the mileage increase and not the lack of cushioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I wouldn't get too worked up about it, as long as it's not hurting you really bad for a long period of time. I notice that once I'm up to higher mileage, my knees don't hurt, but definitely puff up a bit for a couple of hours after my run. not really enough to notice by just looking, but I can feel it when I bend them to sit down for a few hours after I run longer miles. So, that could be it...the higer mileage. I'd just make sure to monitor it and make sure it doesn't get worse, but I don't know that it would be a good idea to start making drastic shoe changes this close to the race if it's just a minor annoyance. Another thing that's probably good for all of us to remember...we're just a few weeks out and we've all been pounding the pavement for a while now, the miles are piling on, and our bodies are probably saying "WTH???" (well, mine is at least!) Get lots of rest these next few weeks...make a concious effort to be off your feet as much as you can, spend a little extra time stretching and kicking back so your legs will be as fresh as possible on race day.
That is good advice! I think I just need to calm down and remember it is just like you said... we have all been piling on miles and I am sure my old body is definitely saying "WTH?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Mommy View Post

My (admittedly uneducated) guess is that it's the increased miles. If you've been training in them as long as you have, I don't think it's the shoes. I've started having a lot more minor aches and pains as I've increased miles, and I've simply attributed it to that. The further you go, the harder it is on your body.

This is great advice, and I agree with not making a drastic shoe change this close to the race. That could be disastrous.
That makes sense. I think I am just nervous. I ran my first 10k injured and while I have put (literally) quite a few miles between that experience and now... I never want to run a race injured again. With this being my first half, I think I am just afraid.

I am starting to see wear to the tread on my shoes, so I know changing shoes is in my not to distant future, but I am aware that doing so too close to a race can be disastrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
I was in Nike Free's and got the same advice from Marathon Sports in Boston. (I was in the market for new shoes anyway, though.) I still wear the frees sometimes for shorter runs, but switched to Brooks Pure Flows for long runs and the 1/2. It was an easy switch because they have a low drop, like the Nike Free's, but more cushioning. Not an expert, but I would think you would not want to switch to a higher drop this stage in the game. I really like both the Pure Flows and the Nike Frees.
I have not checked out the pure flows... I may have to do that after the phm. I can't have a higher drop... so these could be a good shoe for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bephus View Post
I would say it is more due to ramp up in milage then. Try icing your knees after your runs and see if that helps with the discomfort. After a few more LRs you will get more used to it and won't be so sore. My knees only yell at me after 20+ now.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I will try the ice. 20+ miles? I think my entire body would be yelling at me at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Almost ditto here, except that I really don't run in my Frees at all anymore; I like them too much for walking and running errands and I won't use y designated running shoes for that. BTW, last year's Flows are marked WAY down through Brooks online - $59!

That said, even in my Flows, I get join pain in higher mileage. I've just accepted that it's the added distance and my advancing age... and it's a whole lot better than the gawdawful ITB pain I get in traditional shoes.


Long runs left to do: I put in 4.25 this past weekend, I've got 12ish this coming weekend, then 4ish, then Princess!

Also... I WANT MY WAIVER!!!!!!

That is all.
I will have to look at those on the site. $59 is not a horrid price to pay to try a new shoe. (good grief when did I reach that point? I am extremely frugal and paying that much for a pair of shoes in the past would have been unheard of..now $59 is a cheap pair..and a good deal . )

I will have to also just accept that the ache is going to happen at larger distances...and I too get far worse pain (and injury) if I run in something with a higher drop.
Good luck to everyone on your final longer runs! And I agree with PrincessV... I WANT MY WAIVER!!!
annmarieda is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #2024
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer
 
Mamasmurf227's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 348

I ordered a tiara visor from runningprincess.com on Friday and it just arrived in the mail today! It's super cute!! (25% off code on FB for this month!)

I've never run with a hat or visor, so I want to try it out. Guess I'm going to look crazy at the gym tonight.
__________________
Kim 1/00 ~ASM, 2/06 ~POP, 2/12 ~POP, 2/13 ~POP for PHM

Mamasmurf227 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #2025
semejorado
Earning My Ears
 
semejorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23

This past Saturday my husband and I completed our first 10k!

I'm so proud that we didn't get "swept" we kept a 14.58 min pace!

The thing that was hard about this race was the heat, I live in Deep South Texas (right by the border) and it was flipping sunny and hot 83 and humid. We usually go jogging when the sun is down so the sun isn't a big deal.

Well, we are going to participate in a half this Sunday to see how we can pace ourselves together for the princess. Should be the same weather so I'm nervous I'm going to sweat all my energy out that morning.

All you ladies that keep a 13 min and under are an inspiration!!!!!
semejorado is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: