Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #1996
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
3 weeks from today we'll be wearing our Anniversary Medals.

Amanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
and my C2C !!!!
Oh ya baby! Can't wait to get both of those beauties around my neck!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #1997
saysay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIS-OH View Post
Did 12 miles on the treadmill today and it went well. There was a Dateline marathon on some cable station, so I was solving real-life murder mysteries as I ran! It did make the time go by!

And, I learned there are always clues in the victim's and suspect's phone records!
Way to go...I used to work for the phone company and a lady in my group had a job in the division that worked with the police...she said it was pretty exciting actually and they totally pegged a high profile murder case because of her work. Cool stuff. CONGRATS! You are ready.

Disneyland - 2009 Sheraton, 2010 Candy Cane Inn, 2012 Grand Californian
WDW - 2010, 2011, 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011, 2012 The Swan, 2012 POFQ, 2013 POR, Sheraton Vistana, 2014 POR, CR, AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #1998
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Just wondering if any of you wonderful gals have some advice for me. Training has been going just fine.. and I have been increasing my distances. I run in a nike free. Yesterday and today after my runs (they were shorter runs) I notice that my knees are starting to ache a tad. I am not anywhere near being miserable. I wonder if I am just imagining it since when I bought the shoes, the sales gal told me that for a half marathon they would not have enough cushion for my joints. But I kinda wonder if maybe she is right? Maybe as I increase my distance the lack of cushion is hard on my joints?

So...

Should I just continue on in my current shoes?

Should I get new more cushioned shoes?

Should I get an insert for the shoes I am in?

I figure I am quickly running out of time in which I can make changes to what I run in.... if I haven't already.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #1999
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda
Just wondering if any of you wonderful gals have some advice for me. Training has been going just fine.. and I have been increasing my distances. I run in a nike free. Yesterday and today after my runs (they were shorter runs) I notice that my knees are starting to ache a tad. I am not anywhere near being miserable. I wonder if I am just imagining it since when I bought the shoes, the sales gal told me that for a half marathon they would not have enough cushion for my joints. But I kinda wonder if maybe she is right? Maybe as I increase my distance the lack of cushion is hard on my joints?

So...

I figure I am quickly running out of time in which I can make changes to what I run in.... if I haven't already.
I am not an expert by any stretch but my understanding of the Nike Free is that they are a minimalist shoe so would not have cushioning by design. I know many people who successfully run in minimalist shoes but I am not one of them so I really can't give much advice. If you are uncomfortable after your runs, you may not be a good candidate for minimal running. How long have you had these shoes? Maybe get a pair with more cushion for longer runs and keep these for shorter runs?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Old 02-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #2000
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bephus View Post
I am not an expert by any stretch but my understanding of the Nike Free is that they are a minimalist shoe so would not have cushioning by design. I know many people who successfully run in minimalist shoes but I am not one of them so I really can't give much advice. If you are uncomfortable after your runs, you may not be a good candidate for minimal running. How long have you had these shoes? Maybe get a pair with more cushion for longer runs and keep these for shorter runs?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I went through a ton of shoes before getting to the frees. I have ran successfully in them ever since. However, my distances have crept up... January total was 92.7 miles while December was 67.57. So maybe it is just that my body is starting to ache from the miles and not the shoes.

What you mention about using the frees for the shorter runs is exactly what the sales person suggested. (this was before I noticed any discomfort.)

I am probably just whining... getting nervous about the phm...and not wanting to find myself compromised in any way. (I am also fretting about getting ill)
Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #2001
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post

So...

How worn out are you last pair of shoes? Why not try them on your next run and see how you feel. Just a thought, I don't really know if it is just shoes or mileage.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #2002
yulilin3
Disney Freak

Heads up to princesses not staying on Property.
To go to the Expo at Coronado Springs you have to park at Downtown Disney and take a bus to the expo. There will be no parking and no drop off at Coronado Springs during Expo hours. (this is from the HUB, internal CM site)
I was thinking that you can also park at any theme park or resort hotels and take the Coronado bus from there.
I don't remember if I read it here, about someone staying at Kidani and having to walk to Jambo House to take the shuttle...it says that there will be transportation from both Kidani and Jambo House for the weekend.
I'm pretty sure final instructions should be coming out soon since this was posted today on the HUB
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #2003
iluvdiscruises
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3
To go to the Expo at Coronado Springs you have to park at Downtown Disney and take a bus to the expo. There will be no parking and no drop off at Coronado Springs during Expo hours. (this is from the HUB, internal CM site)
I was thinking that you can also park at any theme park or resort hotels and take the Coronado bus from there.
I don't remember if I read it here, about someone staying at Kidani and having to walk to Jambo House to take the shuttle...it says that there will be transportation from both Kidani and Jambo House for the weekend.
I'm pretty sure final instructions should be coming out soon since this was posted today on the HUB
Wait...so the expo isn't at wide world of sports this time?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #2004
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Nope. At CSR.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #2005
icicle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I went through a ton of shoes before getting to the frees. I have ran successfully in them ever since. However, my distances have crept up... January total was 92.7 miles while December was 67.57. So maybe it is just that my body is starting to ache from the miles and not the shoes.

What you mention about using the frees for the shorter runs is exactly what the sales person suggested. (this was before I noticed any discomfort.)

I am probably just whining... getting nervous about the phm...and not wanting to find myself compromised in any way. (I am also fretting about getting ill)
If you haven't had any other problems I would guess your sore knees are result of the mileage increase. What's your longest runin them so far? How did that go? I run in frees too. While they are marketed as minimal they still have a fair amount of cushioning.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #2006
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3 View Post
Good to know. We're staying at CSR so this won't be an issue, but I was wondering if parking would be an issue for those of us staying there.
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon Jan 2014 Paradise Pier DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Feb 2014 Contemporary Glass Slipper Challenge
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #2007
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I wouldn't get too worked up about it, as long as it's not hurting you really bad for a long period of time. I notice that once I'm up to higher mileage, my knees don't hurt, but definitely puff up a bit for a couple of hours after my run. not really enough to notice by just looking, but I can feel it when I bend them to sit down for a few hours after I run longer miles. So, that could be it...the higer mileage. I'd just make sure to monitor it and make sure it doesn't get worse, but I don't know that it would be a good idea to start making drastic shoe changes this close to the race if it's just a minor annoyance. Another thing that's probably good for all of us to remember...we're just a few weeks out and we've all been pounding the pavement for a while now, the miles are piling on, and our bodies are probably saying "WTH???" (well, mine is at least!) Get lots of rest these next few weeks...make a concious effort to be off your feet as much as you can, spend a little extra time stretching and kicking back so your legs will be as fresh as possible on race day.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #2008
Lawyer Mommy
Earning My Ears

Ran my 9 miles yesterday at a 13:05 pace. It was COLD out but I got it done! Started lightly snowing/flurrying during the run but I kept on going. I'm starting to get really, really excited. I've never done anything like this, and today when I ran the 9 miles, I was convinced that I can do this and finish it. It was a great feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
I had to share my run yesterday. I did 8 miles which equals to 24 laps around my yard running path. I tried out my costume and new compression tights. My DH's comment as I went out the door was now the neighbors who thought you were crazy will be sure you've lost it. Lol. Btw I'm going to be the queen of hearts.
Awesome! I bet you looke great, and no one here thinks you're crazy. I think it's cool that you have a running path in your yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Tough 7 miler today...that I put off from yesterday for no real reason....and put off for several hours this morning for no real reason either. I had resigned that I just wasn't going to do it...BF said around 11:30 that he really wanted to run and was going with or without me...for who knows what reason, I got changed and went . Surprised myself with that one...normally once I decide, you can't drag me out the door! Lol...so it looks like 6-7 miles is my new pain threshold...which is a bummer. Feet and back both started hurting right between there. Luckily, we only had a 7 miler today. Now, I'm kicked back with some ice for my heels, and a delicious smelling white bean turkey chili bubbling away on the stove...one of my most favorite recipes to cook! (It's from Skinny Taste if anyone's interested...it's delicious and low fat!). Probably will grill a few buffalo wings later too...we could care less about football, but like the game-day eats tweaked to be a little healthier...and watching the commercials
That sounds delicious! If you wouldn't mind sharing the recipe, I'd love to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan View Post
Woohoo, so glad to hear my run wasn't cheating!

So I did 10 then 1 walk/run then a cool down. So kind of 11 (I ran 0.5 of the last mile).

What would you do the next two weekends? How far are your next two long runs?
I'm doing 10 next weekend, and a 10K the following weekend. I didn't have a time to submit, so I'm doing the 10K in the hopes of getting out of the last corral. I want some balloon lady cushion!

Quote:

So...

My (admittedly uneducated) guess is that it's the increased miles. If you've been training in them as long as you have, I don't think it's the shoes. I've started having a lot more minor aches and pains as I've increased miles, and I've simply attributed it to that. The further you go, the harder it is on your body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I wouldn't get too worked up about it, as long as it's not hurting you really bad for a long period of time. I notice that once I'm up to higher mileage, my knees don't hurt, but definitely puff up a bit for a couple of hours after my run. not really enough to notice by just looking, but I can feel it when I bend them to sit down for a few hours after I run longer miles. So, that could be it...the higer mileage. I'd just make sure to monitor it and make sure it doesn't get worse, but I don't know that it would be a good idea to start making drastic shoe changes this close to the race if it's just a minor annoyance. Another thing that's probably good for all of us to remember...we're just a few weeks out and we've all been pounding the pavement for a while now, the miles are piling on, and our bodies are probably saying "WTH???" (well, mine is at least!) Get lots of rest these next few weeks...make a concious effort to be off your feet as much as you can, spend a little extra time stretching and kicking back so your legs will be as fresh as possible on race day.
This is great advice, and I agree with not making a drastic shoe change this close to the race. That could be disastrous.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #2009
amykay9377
Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations. After all it is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher31 View Post
Good morning! I checked out the map to see the path through the parks, water stations, etc. they didn't show porta-potties. This is my second 1/2, but first Princess. Can anyone enlighten me on the most important part of the race - bathrooms? Going through liberty square can we duck into the bathroom? Yes. This is a worry for me.
There are porti-potties everywhere, from what I hear! At the start, at the corrals, at med stops, lots of places. However, if you can hold it a bit, I suggest the following:

At the TTC (Near the Gift Shop, I think)
Tomorrowland Terrace (Slight Detour needed)
Mickey's of Venus (Across from the speedway)
Cheshire' Cafe (Across from Teacups)
Diamond Horseshoe (Walkway between FL and AL)
Outside Epcot (I think there is one here?)

(DISclaimer - I've never run at Disney, but I'm an Info Hoarder, so I've read all of this info!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm314 View Post
So today was a perfectly beautiful day to go walk. And I just couldn't do it. For some reason I am feeling completely blah. My body feels fine, other than a nagging ache, not quite a pain in right shoulder when I walk/jog. I so want to go train but just have been feeling blah. I have packed my clothes to go after work tomorrow so hopefully the feeling will have passed. Thank goodness for all of you or I think it would be worse. Fingers crossed for tomorrow since there is only 3 weeks to go.
OMG, I so had this day yesterday! I was going to go at 9am when I took hbby to work, but didn't feel like it, so said I'd go later, before I had to pick him up, but didn't. Ended up prepping parts of my costume and trying it on the treadmill....So, still a productive day (and did get in 3 miles or so), but it wasn't the 9 I planned!

Check out my blog!
(I may need to change the name soon...)

Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #2010
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Mommy View Post

That sounds delicious! If you wouldn't mind sharing the recipe, I'd love to have it.
Go to www.skinnytaste.com and on her page search "white bean turkey chili" to find the recipe. I make a few alterations that admittedly make it slightly less healthy, but still lower in fat I use a combo of the 99% (turkey breast) and 93% lean turkey, and I use double the amount of light sour cream. I put extra garlic too just because I loooove me some garlic! I end up having more beans in mine too because the brand I like only makes 19oz cans rather than 16oz cans, so I end up with 12oz extra of the beans...doesn't seem to really make an impact on the recipe though. And like alot of other things, it's even better the next day!!! I can't wait for lunch today!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: